Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #5,611 of 6,388
My acquisition path was, LCD3 pre favor -> LCDX -> LCD3 fazor (at this point I decided to sell LCDX) -> LCDi4 (at this point I decided to sell LCD3) -> LCD4 (I decided to keep LCDi4)

My recommendation is, if you're happy with LCD3 or LCDX, don't upgrade nor ever listen to / touch / try LCD4. But if you have at least one more back up headphone (let's say you have HD650 and LCD3) and you have a lot of cash to spend in the hobby, sell your LCD3 and buy a LCD4.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all this! I have a few backup headphones (Stax 007mk2.5, ZMF VC and Auteur, HD800/650) and I'm not sure where the LCD3 fits anymore. It's not as musical or fast or detailed as the VC or the Stax or even the Auteur, to my taste. I figure the LCD4 might fit the bill, but I'm also considering the Stellia, Heddphone and the Abyss TC. Thanks for your super helpful and detailed post!

Feb 21, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #5,612 of 6,388
THANK YOU SO MUCH for all this! I have a few backup headphones (Stax 007mk2.5, ZMF VC and Auteur, HD800/650) and I'm not sure where the LCD3 fits anymore. It's not as musical or fast or detailed as the VC or the Stax or even the Auteur, to my taste. I figure the LCD4 might fit the bill, but I'm also considering the Stellia, Heddphone and the Abyss TC. Thanks for your super helpful and detailed post!
The LCD-3 isn't slow or bereft/lacking in details its just dark and relaxed. Brighter headphones are always deemed as more detailed. But, it looks like your budget extends pretty far so you will have options. Did you mention what type of music you listen to?

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #5,614 of 6,388
Not so long ago I started to suspect that one side started to be less loud then the other. The day after, when I wanted to doublecheck, one side was dead. I read a lot about driver failures at Audezee, but is it still an issue? My one is not even a year old.

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #5,615 of 6,388
Check the cable first, if that isn't the issue then contact the shop. Should still be under warranty.

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #5,616 of 6,388
Not so long ago I started to suspect that one side started to be less loud then the other. The day after, when I wanted to doublecheck, one side was dead. I read a lot about driver failures at Audezee, but is it still an issue? My one is not even a year old.

What year is your LCD-3?

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #5,617 of 6,388
I searched for info in this thread and found something from a couple of years ago, but does anyone here know what players the Reveal plug-in works with? I found out from Audeze that it doesn't work with foobar anymore, after many tries and frustrations, but I'm hoping that there are other ones I can use.

Mar 20, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #5,618 of 6,388
I searched for info in this thread and found something from a couple of years ago, but does anyone here know what players the Reveal plug-in works with? I found out from Audeze that it doesn't work with foobar anymore, after many tries and frustrations, but I'm hoping that there are other ones I can use.

I use it with Equalizer APO for Windows 10 because it works system-wide regardless of player

Mar 20, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #5,619 of 6,388
not sure if its my lcd's, music or me, but I feel the music is louder in my right ear. is there a chance I need to send my lcd's in for a check up (after corona of coarse)? how can I tell its the headphone? of coarse I know there are tracks that play in different channels but how can I tell if the magnets are starting to go?

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #5,620 of 6,388
not sure if its my lcd's, music or me, but I feel the music is louder in my right ear. is there a chance I need to send my lcd's in for a check up (after corona of coarse)? how can I tell its the headphone? of coarse I know there are tracks that play in different channels but how can I tell if the magnets are starting to go?
Just swap the left and right side of cable connected to the cans. If the louder side goes with the cable, it was the music. Swap the cable back to original. Put the LCD-3 180° turned on your head, i.e. left side to your right ear, right side to the left ear (cable connectors pointing backwards). If the loudness stays on your right ear, then it is your ears. Otherwise it is the HP. As you see on my post #5614 that's how the problem started by me. Then it went off completely in a short time.

Mar 21, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #5,622 of 6,388
Mar 25, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #5,623 of 6,388
20200324_212951_HDR.jpg

20200324_134259_HDR.jpg

Yes! I finally got my hand-braided Mavismodz 4-core OCC Audeze headphone cables in Seattle Seahawks colors and with Furutech 4-pin XLR/mini XLR ends! Complements well with my Cayin HA-300 tube amp with Psvane Acme Supreme 300b tubes and Psvane CV181-T Mark II tubes. I'm going from the Periapt balanced XLR cable, and there is a noticeable improvement for me.

Mavismodz Audeze Cable

BUILD QUALITY
Keith really knows how braid his cables. Everything is tight, precise, and basically flawless. You get a choice of various paracord colors from his eBay site to suit your own color combination. I chose the colors that represent my favorite NFL team, the Seattle Seahawks.

20200324_131736_HDR.jpg

One thing I love about his 4-handed braid is that he braided both channels into each other without the need of a Y-splitter which adds weight. I couldn't stand the one on the Periapt since it has a flat top that catches underneath my desk at times.

20200324_140624_HDR.jpg

Wire-wise, you get a choice of 4-core OCC copper (what I chose) or 4-core SP-OCC (silver plated copper), which are twisted into pairs and then reverse twisted into one cable, twisting the cables causes the audio signal to be rotated out of phase eliminating cross talk, or upgrade to 8 core SP-OCC silver plated that has its 8 core wires hand braided into a litz formation which seperated the audio signals and eliminates rfi and efi interference."

Termination-wise, you can choose a variety of ends to suit your headphone, and amp. I actually bought Furutech 4-pin XLR and mini XLRs from a Cosmic-Cables in England (Keith lives in England) and have it shipped to his place so he can use them for my cable. A worthwhile upgrade, in my opinion.

20200324_131844_HDR.jpg

SOUND QUALITY

So with my current Chord Qutest DAC + Cayin HA-300 with the Psvane ACME 300b tubes and Psvane CV181-T II tubes, I have a very resolving system that's pretty darn neutral and very extended up top and pretty decently down the bottom. It can sometimes get a little peaky in the treble and a bit slim in the mid-bass. This Mavismodz cable adds back a bit more warmth as well as a bit more body in the mid-bass, while smoothing out the peakiness a bit. Only thing I would say I lost was a bit of the airiness in the treble, but for my taste, that's fine. I'm sure if you choose the other conductor material, you can get that back.

Now granted, my ACME 300b tubes only have about 60 hours so it has a long way to go for burning in, but so far, this is the best combination of sound gear I have.

Body in the mid-bass, good bass slam and extension with just a little help of the Loki (very little needed), smooth luscious mids especially vocals, clear treble and highs without getting harsh.

Oh, and the soundstage! It's already phenomenal and this cable did not detract from it.

VALUE

Are you kidding? A cable this good has to cost hundreds of dollars, right? Nope, for 2 meter 4-core OCC cable, I paid $77.81 including shipping. I actually paid more for the Furutech ends because, well, they're Furutech. I paid $83.26 including shipping for those.

So yes, these are great hand-made cables that you can personally make your own and they are very affordable. I'd choose them over the Periapt any day.

You can buy them from Ebay here

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #5,625 of 6,388
I appreciate all the excellent information and perspectives in this thread...you guys are amazing. Would love to hear impressions of the performance of these LCD-3 cans for classical music, particularly orchestral. I love my Senn. 800S for the huge soundstage, precise imaging, and overall realistic reproduction of symphonies. (I do listen to all genres, but classical is the most important genre for me.) However, for music that is not classical or at least acoustic, I find my 800S through my current system to be fatiguing after awhile and am wondering if the LCD-3 could be a good complement to the 800S for listening to non-classical (rock, EDM, pop), and furthermore wondering if they would handle orchestral music well enough to be able to sell the 800S. I know this could be subjective, but wondering if anyone has pondered this specific scenario as well.

My complaints with the 800S with rock, EDM and pop is that, first, the leading edge percussion slam, while initially exciting, eventually starts to feel like chinese water torture. (Perhaps my BH crack amp is the weak link in this system and cause for this). Secondly, treble quickly feels piercing. Both of these flaws can be mitigated somewhat by the excellent little Loki equalizer, and using the denafrips oversampling mode that *slightly* softens the presentation.

I thought the Beyerdynamic T1 second generation would fill this role I am proposing for the LCD-3 for non-classical, but find them to be underwhelming musically, at least with my current system. (Love the Beyerdynamic T1.2 for movies with bifrost>Vali upstream, so I'm keeping them).

Also wondering if the latest generation LCD-3 would simply not play nice with my BH Crack amp, forcing me to add another amp as well...wasn't planning to do that anytime soon! lol

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back