Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #5,626 of 6,385
I don't think the LCD-3 is it for orchestral. They are a great compliment to the 800 (I don't have the S)

Apr 5, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #5,627 of 6,385
I appreciate all the excellent information and perspectives in this thread...you guys are amazing. Would love to hear impressions of the performance of these LCD-3 cans for classical music, particularly orchestral. I love my Senn. 800S for the huge soundstage, precise imaging, and overall realistic reproduction of symphonies. (I do listen to all genres, but classical is the most important genre for me.) However, for music that is not classical or at least acoustic, I find my 800S through my current system to be fatiguing after awhile and am wondering if the LCD-3 could be a good complement to the 800S for listening to non-classical (rock, EDM, pop), and furthermore wondering if they would handle orchestral music well enough to be able to sell the 800S. I know this could be subjective, but wondering if anyone has pondered this specific scenario as well.

My complaints with the 800S with rock, EDM and pop is that, first, the leading edge percussion slam, while initially exciting, eventually starts to feel like chinese water torture. (Perhaps my BH crack amp is the weak link in this system and cause for this). Secondly, treble quickly feels piercing. Both of these flaws can be mitigated somewhat by the excellent little Loki equalizer, and using the denafrips oversampling mode that *slightly* softens the presentation.

I thought the Beyerdynamic T1 second generation would fill this role I am proposing for the LCD-3 for non-classical, but find them to be underwhelming musically, at least with my current system. (Love the Beyerdynamic T1.2 for movies with bifrost>Vali upstream, so I'm keeping them).

Also wondering if the latest generation LCD-3 would simply not play nice with my BH Crack amp, forcing me to add another amp as well...wasn't planning to do that anytime soon! lol

TIA

I use my LCD-3 with my Qutest + Cayin HA-300 and classical music sounds expansive with accurate timbre, placement, and separation. As for the BH Crack Amp, it's an OTL amp, and if it's like the Darkvoice 336SE OTL amp, it'll do poorly. That had distortions at listenable volume

Apr 6, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #5,628 of 6,385
I appreciate all the excellent information and perspectives in this thread...you guys are amazing. Would love to hear impressions of the performance of these LCD-3 cans for classical music, particularly orchestral. I love my Senn. 800S for the huge soundstage, precise imaging, and overall realistic reproduction of symphonies. (I do listen to all genres, but classical is the most important genre for me.) However, for music that is not classical or at least acoustic, I find my 800S through my current system to be fatiguing after awhile and am wondering if the LCD-3 could be a good complement to the 800S for listening to non-classical (rock, EDM, pop), and furthermore wondering if they would handle orchestral music well enough to be able to sell the 800S. I know this could be subjective, but wondering if anyone has pondered this specific scenario as well.

My complaints with the 800S with rock, EDM and pop is that, first, the leading edge percussion slam, while initially exciting, eventually starts to feel like chinese water torture. (Perhaps my BH crack amp is the weak link in this system and cause for this). Secondly, treble quickly feels piercing. Both of these flaws can be mitigated somewhat by the excellent little Loki equalizer, and using the denafrips oversampling mode that *slightly* softens the presentation.

I thought the Beyerdynamic T1 second generation would fill this role I am proposing for the LCD-3 for non-classical, but find them to be underwhelming musically, at least with my current system. (Love the Beyerdynamic T1.2 for movies with bifrost>Vali upstream, so I'm keeping them).

Also wondering if the latest generation LCD-3 would simply not play nice with my BH Crack amp, forcing me to add another amp as well...wasn't planning to do that anytime soon! lol

TIA

I can power my LCD-3 pre-fazor fine with my OTL but you need an OTL amp that is up to the task
DSC00620.JPG

Not sure about the amps that you own...if they are not sufficient grab yourself a not too expensive SS amp. The LCD-3 is a wonderful headphone IMO.

Apr 6, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #5,629 of 6,385
I can power my LCD-3 pre-fazor fine with my OTL but you need an OTL amp that is up to the task
DSC00620.JPG

Not sure about the amps that you own...if they are not sufficient grab yourself a not too expensive SS amp. The LCD-3 is a wonderful headphone IMO.

Mmm that's probably true. The only OTL amp I've ever used is the budget Dark Voice 336SE.I then went to the Schiit Lyr 3 hybrid tube amp before getting a TOTL amp in the Cayin HA-300. I wonder which amps @ChrisR1 has tried.

Apr 6, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #5,630 of 6,385
Mmm that's probably true. The only OTL amp I've ever used is the budget Dark Voice 336SE.I then went to the Schiit Lyr 3 hybrid tube amp before getting a TOTL amp in the Cayin HA-300. I wonder which amps @ChrisR1 has tried.
I’ve only tried my Bottlehead Crack (with Speedball) so far. I need to try one of the well-regarded SS amps such as the Violectric hpa v200 with my current rig, I think it could be illuminating

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #5,632 of 6,385
Just sharing comparison with Diana V2, as I posted before in Diana thread.

Currently able to borrowing LCD-3 home. I always think that LCD-3 is headphone with strongest character of Audeze house sound. Buttery smooth, full body, and highly musical.

Had LCD-X and MX4 before, sometimes made me questioning myself why never purchased LCD-3. Of course there is weight problem, but personally as long as I have more than 1 headphone it's still fine to have Audeze. Can swap with the more comfort one when my head/neck tired. This version is LCD-3 Fazor with old headband.

Comparing Diana V2 to LCD-3:

Gabrielle Aplin - My Mistake (Acoustic) - MP3
Surprisingly LCD-3 is cleaner than I remember, and Diana V2 has sweeter sounding that I thought i knew. Both headphone perform really well with this song (especially for vocal). Diana still sound clearer with blacker background though. Guitar texture slight better in Diana. Both produce good wood reverb, but I feel Audeze present it with a little bit too much body on lower mid / upper bass area, made guitar sound really thick (but not add extra body to female voice here). Guitar on Audeze feels like sound coming from good speaker, while Diana make guitar sound more lifelike, like we listen straight to it.

Bllie Ellish - I Love You (Live at The Greek Theathre) - MP3
Live recoding make me easier to pick up differences in term of soundstage. Diana has wider and more depth, while Audeze has more height. Diana has "fuller" soundstage, better to feel the ambience of the hall. Male voice feels more romance with LCD-3, while Diana is nowhere sounds dry, it is definitely less sweet than Audeze. Female voice somehow sound more similar in both headphones, delicate and really smooth. Diana has more intimate though, with better texture and centre focus. Bass extension is superb on both headphones, with Diana reveal slight more texture and has more (sub) bass effect.

Grace Vanderwaal - Sick Of Being Told - WAV 24Bit / 44Khz
One of my most favourite singer due to her unique vocal character. Audeze present warm and thick sound, with more relax transient. While Diana sounds more... pure. It reveals more of the character from the singer, also with more excitement. With Audeze I feel like Grace singing after got dinner before sleep, while Diana make Grace singing after breakfast and ready to do activities. Midbass definitely bigger in Audeze, but Diana able to reach deeper in sub bass area. Perhaps smaller quantity of mid bass in Diana also help to reveal more of sub bass frequency. With Audeze vocal and midbass has a bit similar in quantity, in Diana vocal is more dominant and less presence of midbass. Both treble run really smooth with Diana slight brighter presentation. If Diana take us to the first row, LCD-3 is more like third row.

Katie Melua - Dreams Of Fire - WAV 24Bit / 48Khz
Could be a song that finalise my decision tu acquire Diana V2. Perform really well with Diana, sound so natural, fluid, sweet, and smooth through all spectrum. What surpise me is, I feel LCD-3 actually is less smooth in mid - upper mid area compare to Diana. Both produce no sibilance and harshness, however there are certain frequencies that feel "jump" a little in Audeze. The smoothness about transition between frequencies in mid/upper mid area definitely smoother in Diana. Guitar and "humming" sound from choir sound more natural in Diana, as Audeze tend to add body too much (not make it bad, only less natural for me). Anyway, actually I can enjoy this song with both headphones easily.

Quiet Winter Night - Stille, Stille Komer V - WAV 24Bit / 96Khz
Audeze definitely sounds sweeter, stronger warm aura around instruments. Fuller body in Audeze. This song is great to shows the advantage of technicalities, which is in term of black background, precision, soundstage quality (imaging and pin point), and frequency extension (both treble and bass) dare I say Diana is above LCD-3. However, I can see the romantic feel from Audeze may win people's choice. One thing that a bit annoy me is this song reveal slight problem in center focus of Audeze. Unlike Diana which have solid form of vocal from singer, in Audeze vocal is a bit diffuse, thus, create weaker definition. I love vocal so much, so for me this is critical. Both headphones still sound enjoyable though, Audeze with melow and more relax presentation and Diana is more accurate. Both don't have problem (at all) from being shouty, sharp, or harsh sound.

Norah Jones - Waiting - DSD 64
A song that made me fall in love with Audeze twice. LCD-3 continue the legacy by present this song with really good result. Bold, full body, meaty vocal, and big imaging. Move to Diana, first thing that struck me is how "fresh" Diana is. Feels like drinking honey + plain water (Audeze), then jump to fresh cold water (Diana). Everything is clearer, more texture, and just natural. I can appreciate both style, though I realise people may like one type more than the other. Detail in bass area has better presence in Diana, vocal is less body (no, it's not thin, just less thick), song simply presented in natural and smooth way. What disappoint me a little is somehow Diana has smaller imaging here, and focus more on midrange presence. Again, this matter is about character of each headphone, not being better or worse. Diana has more "complete" instrument position, but Audeze has bigger imaging if that makes sense. Bass extension deeper in Diana, more boomy feel (in good manner) with Audeze. I always think that piano in this song is a bit peaky. Both headphones success to make piano still enjoyable and not hurting my ears, while Audeze has "extra safety" to tuned it down even more.

David Roth - Before I Die - FLAC 16Bit / 44.1Khz
Just like the lyric inside the song, Diana is "soft and kind". Music flowing really well, fluid and effortless, natural. Audeze add a little more seasoning by using Audeze house sound to make David voice has more "oomph". While it's great for vocal, but not so much for acoustic guitar here. The low notes and high notes from guitar sound less harmony than in Diana. The diffuse in midrange of Audeze also present here. Make overall Audeze sound less fluid and efforless, with meatier low midrange to midbass presentation.

That's all about my casual comparison. Oh, and about comfort, I will choose Diana anytime anyday. Audeze owner "must" upgrade to new design headband, that increase comfort level by margin.

2020_0417_22565200.jpg

Apr 19, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #5,633 of 6,385

Currently able to borrowing LCD-3 home. I always think that LCD-3 is headphone with strongest character of Audeze house sound. Buttery smooth, full body, and highly musical.

Had LCD-X and MX4 before, sometimes made me questioning myself why never purchased LCD-3. Of course there is weight problem, but personally as long as I have more than 1 headphone it's still fine to have Audeze. Can swap with the more comfort one when my head/neck tired. This version is LCD-3 Fazor with old headband.

That's all about my casual comparison. Oh, and about comfort, I will choose Diana anytime anyday. Audeze owner "must" upgrade to new design headband, that increase comfort level by margin.
I appreciate when someone takes the time and write down such detailled comparison.

I have LCD-3 with new headband, and find it very comfortable, no weight issue at all. The only thing is that I have a lenghty hump on the top of my head, with starts hurting after 2 hours with the LCD-3 on. Fortunately a few cm move of the band dismisses the pain. I suppose the old band might help, as it has a little intake for hump. But I do not bother to change it.

On the other hand my audituon of the Abyss Diana has ended after two minutes, as I could not set it up comfortable on my head at all, despite all the efforts.

Apr 19, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #5,634 of 6,385
I appreciate when someone takes the time and write down such detailled comparison.

I have LCD-3 with new headband, and find it very comfortable, no weight issue at all. The only thing is that I have a lenghty hump on the top of my head, with starts hurting after 2 hours with the LCD-3 on. Fortunately a few cm move of the band dismisses the pain. I suppose the old band might help, as it has a little intake for hump. But I do not bother to change it.

On the other hand my audituon of the Abyss Diana has ended after two minutes, as I could not set it up comfortable on my head at all, despite all the efforts.

I can't stand the old headband, there is a definite hard, hot spot on top of the head. The suspension and the curvature of the new headband is so much better. I still get a bit of discomfort between balancing the clamp and downward pressure up top, but it's far more balanced with the new headband style with my LCD-3

Apr 22, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #5,635 of 6,385

Thank you!

Anyaway when it comes to ergonomic, we all easily may vary depend on shape and size. Old headband is a bit too stiff for me, and may create hot spot. Can us it max at less than 1.5 hrs before need to take off the headphones. New headband is more flexible, and distribute weight better on my head.

Ouch, feel sorry about Diana's fit on you. Was that already with bigger pad like on Diana V2?

May 14, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #5,638 of 6,385
Hi all, how is the suspension headband in the long run? Are hot-spots inevitable?
I guess it depends on your head. But for me, it comes after an hour, and a one second adjustment is enough for the next hour. So no concern. Since I have the Empyrean I have noticed a pressure from the LCD3 on my cheeks. I found out that a small rotation of the cans around the vertical axis outwards elimimates this. No more concern here either.

May 14, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #5,639 of 6,385

Comparing Diana V2 to LCD-3:

Gabrielle Aplin - My Mistake (Acoustic) - MP3
Surprisingly LCD-3 is cleaner than I remember, and Diana V2 has sweeter sounding that I thought i knew. Both headphone perform really well with this song (especially for vocal). Diana still sound clearer with blacker background though. Guitar texture slight better in Diana. Both produce good wood reverb, but I feel Audeze present it with a little bit too much body on lower mid / upper bass area, made guitar sound really thick (but not add extra body to female voice here). Guitar on Audeze feels like sound coming from good speaker, while Diana make guitar sound more lifelike, like we listen straight to it.

Bllie Ellish - I Love You (Live at The Greek Theathre) - MP3
Live recoding make me easier to pick up differences in term of soundstage. Diana has wider and more depth, while Audeze has more height. Diana has "fuller" soundstage, better to feel the ambience of the hall. Male voice feels more romance with LCD-3, while Diana is nowhere sounds dry, it is definitely less sweet than Audeze. Female voice somehow sound more similar in both headphones, delicate and really smooth. Diana has more intimate though, with better texture and centre focus. Bass extension is superb on both headphones, with Diana reveal slight more texture and has more (sub) bass effect.

Grace Vanderwaal - Sick Of Being Told - WAV 24Bit / 44Khz
One of my most favourite singer due to her unique vocal character. Audeze present warm and thick sound, with more relax transient. While Diana sounds more... pure. It reveals more of the character from the singer, also with more excitement. With Audeze I feel like Grace singing after got dinner before sleep, while Diana make Grace singing after breakfast and ready to do activities. Midbass definitely bigger in Audeze, but Diana able to reach deeper in sub bass area. Perhaps smaller quantity of mid bass in Diana also help to reveal more of sub bass frequency. With Audeze vocal and midbass has a bit similar in quantity, in Diana vocal is more dominant and less presence of midbass. Both treble run really smooth with Diana slight brighter presentation. If Diana take us to the first row, LCD-3 is more like third row.

Katie Melua - Dreams Of Fire - WAV 24Bit / 48Khz
Could be a song that finalise my decision tu acquire Diana V2. Perform really well with Diana, sound so natural, fluid, sweet, and smooth through all spectrum. What surpise me is, I feel LCD-3 actually is less smooth in mid - upper mid area compare to Diana. Both produce no sibilance and harshness, however there are certain frequencies that feel "jump" a little in Audeze. The smoothness about transition between frequencies in mid/upper mid area definitely smoother in Diana. Guitar and "humming" sound from choir sound more natural in Diana, as Audeze tend to add body too much (not make it bad, only less natural for me). Anyway, actually I can enjoy this song with both headphones easily.

Quiet Winter Night - Stille, Stille Komer V - WAV 24Bit / 96Khz
Audeze definitely sounds sweeter, stronger warm aura around instruments. Fuller body in Audeze. This song is great to shows the advantage of technicalities, which is in term of black background, precision, soundstage quality (imaging and pin point), and frequency extension (both treble and bass) dare I say Diana is above LCD-3. However, I can see the romantic feel from Audeze may win people's choice. One thing that a bit annoy me is this song reveal slight problem in center focus of Audeze. Unlike Diana which have solid form of vocal from singer, in Audeze vocal is a bit diffuse, thus, create weaker definition. I love vocal so much, so for me this is critical. Both headphones still sound enjoyable though, Audeze with melow and more relax presentation and Diana is more accurate. Both don't have problem (at all) from being shouty, sharp, or harsh sound.

Norah Jones - Waiting - DSD 64
A song that made me fall in love with Audeze twice. LCD-3 continue the legacy by present this song with really good result. Bold, full body, meaty vocal, and big imaging. Move to Diana, first thing that struck me is how "fresh" Diana is. Feels like drinking honey + plain water (Audeze), then jump to fresh cold water (Diana). Everything is clearer, more texture, and just natural. I can appreciate both style, though I realise people may like one type more than the other. Detail in bass area has better presence in Diana, vocal is less body (no, it's not thin, just less thick), song simply presented in natural and smooth way. What disappoint me a little is somehow Diana has smaller imaging here, and focus more on midrange presence. Again, this matter is about character of each headphone, not being better or worse. Diana has more "complete" instrument position, but Audeze has bigger imaging if that makes sense. Bass extension deeper in Diana, more boomy feel (in good manner) with Audeze. I always think that piano in this song is a bit peaky. Both headphones success to make piano still enjoyable and not hurting my ears, while Audeze has "extra safety" to tuned it down even more.

David Roth - Before I Die - FLAC 16Bit / 44.1Khz
Just like the lyric inside the song, Diana is "soft and kind". Music flowing really well, fluid and effortless, natural. Audeze add a little more seasoning by using Audeze house sound to make David voice has more "oomph". While it's great for vocal, but not so much for acoustic guitar here. The low notes and high notes from guitar sound less harmony than in Diana. The diffuse in midrange of Audeze also present here. Make overall Audeze sound less fluid and efforless, with meatier low midrange to midbass presentation.

You have collected here quite an impressive bunch of songs. I have created a playlist out of it on Qobuz, added "Thursday girl" on Pubery 2 from from Mitsky, and now it is my favourite playlist. Many thanks for that.
I am enjoing it with the Meze Empyrean now. It was an interesting experience to compare it with the LCD3 sound.

I was also comparing the Gabrielle Aplin - My Mistake (Acoustic) - MP3 on Spotify, which is very nice, with the HiRes version on Qobuz. What a difference.

Where did you get the "live at the greek thatre" version of the Billie Eilish song?

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #5,640 of 6,385
You have collected here quite an impressive bunch of songs. I have created a playlist out of it on Qobuz, added "Thursday girl" on Pubery 2 from from Mitsky, and now it is my favourite playlist. Many thanks for that.
I am enjoing it with the Meze Empyrean now. It was an interesting experience to compare it with the LCD3 sound.

I was also comparing the Gabrielle Aplin - My Mistake (Acoustic) - MP3 on Spotify, which is very nice, with the HiRes version on Qobuz. What a difference.

Where did you get the "live at the greek thatre" version of the Billie Eilish song?

Woah, then I bet we have similar music taste!

Also try My Mistake Gabrielle Aplin with piano only, it as great as the acoustic version. True, Qobuz is definitely better.

Billie Ellish is from youtube, just search with that name. When comparing mp3 songs from streaming or youtube, usually I check about forgiving level and how well the headphone translate emotion too, because in this Billie song, I already repeat that song for perhaps 100 times, and always gimme goosebump every time I listened to it. And this coming from mp3 quality, how damn great she is as a singer!

note: I love Empyrean as much as Diana V2, but not in position to acquire both of them at the same time though. Happy listening!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back