Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #5,656 of 6,385
Hi All,

I have switched recently from lcd 2f (2015) to lcd 3f (2016). Lcd 3 are obviously a lot better in terms of overall SQ, however are a lot brighter than lcd 2 f at the same time. The amp I am using is Burson conductor v2+. It drives lcd 3 very well, the sound is smooth musical and airy. At the same time I miss a bit the darkness/ musicality of lcd 2f. This is because I also use a Polish tube amp (Sinusaudio dual mono) with my lcd 3. The sound is richer and more full bodied as compared to Burson.

Burson is definetely staying with me, but I am considering upgrading my tube amp. I am looking for my lcd 3 to sound more colorful/ musical, full boddied with deep bass, sweet midrange and hights. But not muddy at the same time. Has anybody an experience with pairing lcd 3f (post 2015) with such amps like Woo audio wa 2 or Feliks audio euforia? I have seen some similar threads, however all coming from before 2015. Many thanks for all thoughts!

EDIT: just thought also about woo audio wa22, as it is recommended for lcd 3. It seems a bit more expensive and i' m also mot sure if it has full, colorful sound i am looking for.

I'm using my late 2015 LCD-3f today with a Lyr3, OG Gungnir Multibit upstream, to good effect, dynamic and not muddy at all.

This LCD-3f shows superlative mids, and with the Lyr excells with female vocals and acoustic instruments, which to me means timbre accuracy that can be hard to get.

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #5,658 of 6,385
I bought these before my Focal Stellia and Meze Empyrean and I keep finding myself going back to the lcd-3. For female vocals, these are hard to beat. Just so lush and rich and fun.

I've tried the Empyrean vs the LCD-3 and LCD-4 with a Hugo TT2 + Woo Audio WA33, and I gotta say, not that impressed with the Empyrean. It's smooth and polite, but it doesn't have the lushness or dynamics of the Audezes.

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #5,660 of 6,385
What pads are recommended for the lcd3? Does Audeze sell the softer brown pads anymore? Looking to replace OG lcd3 pads.

The stock lambskin pads are about 100 bucks. I am happy with the ones that came with my set. I didn't try the fake leather and wouldn't buy a pair. But I have to say the stock pads on the LCD-2C (fake) are inoffensive. I usually hate fake leather but they're quite nice.

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #5,661 of 6,385
I've tried the Empyrean vs the LCD-3 and LCD-4 with a Hugo TT2 + Woo Audio WA33, and I gotta say, not that impressed with the Empyrean. It's smooth and polite, but it doesn't have the lushness or dynamics of the Audezes.
That’s why I sold my Empyrean now and picked up lcd-4 in maple. Now I have lcd-3 and 4. Also need to find a good 4 pin xlr cable that isn’t overpriced. I have a cheap copper Luna shop cable that I prefer over stock but can’t help wondering if I’m missing out.

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #5,662 of 6,385
Just ordered an open box LCD-3 from headphones.com. I’m hoping the will fill the hole my LCD-2C has left in my heart, only with more detail
I purchased a used pair of LCD-3's today. Very nice sounding like my LCD-2C but with nicer bass. I'm thinking of ordering the new headband/strap assembly for the LCD-3 but maybe I'll experiment by switching with the LCD-2's to see how it improves the weight distribution, comfort and fit.

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #5,663 of 6,385
I purchased a used pair of LCD-3's today. Very nice sounding like my LCD-2C but with nicer bass. I'm thinking of ordering the new headband/strap assembly for the LCD-3 but maybe I'll experiment by switching with the LCD-2's to see how it improves the weight distribution, comfort and fit.

I did the same, buying a used LCD-3F, and the new strap is definitely a big improvement in getting rid off the pressure hot spot on top of the forehead

Jul 19, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #5,665 of 6,385
I switched headbands (very easy to do by the way) and found that the drooping was worse as the LCD-3 hung even lower. I'm surprised. It's like the clamping pressure was virtually non-existent compared to the original headband. I switched it back. Perhaps the pads are too mushy but I don't know if that's the way those pads are supposed to be but they are definitely less firm than my 2 month old LCD-2C pads.

Jul 20, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #5,666 of 6,385
I switched headbands (very easy to do by the way) and found that the drooping was worse as the LCD-3 hung even lower. I'm surprised. It's like the clamping pressure was virtually non-existent compared to the original headband. I switched it back. Perhaps the pads are too mushy but I don't know if that's the way those pads are supposed to be but they are definitely less firm than my 2 month old LCD-2C pads.
Similar experience over here (brown leather old style to new carbon fiber); cups hang lower and the clamp is decreased. The main advantage is that weight is distributed much more evenly across your head.

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #5,667 of 6,385
I have the LCD-2C and I'm thinking of getting the LCD-3 and not buying anymore headphones...

The question is does the 2C do anything better than the LCD-3? I could possibly trade my 2C in on the LCD-3 since I do a lot of business with the shop. Just wondering if I should keep the 2C. Thanks.

All the links in the first post of the thread to head-fi posts are broken btw
I have owned the 2C for a couple of months and I really like them. I had a great buying opportunity for a 3 year old used LCD-3 this past weekend so I drove an hour to Toronto to audition them. I was immediately impressed with the bigger sound from the LCD-3 with simply more information across the entire frequency range. Bass went deeper and is more detailed sounding, midrange was better as well. Treble was also more expansive sounding but not edgy or peaky sounding which is what I prefer.

Although fit and comfort is a bit of an issue especially compared to the excellent fit I have with my LCD-2C, I am experimenting with padded headband covers to hopefully improve this personal issue. However the sound is very pleasing and offers enough of a difference in comparison to the 2C so I that I decided to buy them. For now I intend to keep both.

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #5,668 of 6,385
Big hello to all!!
That’s why I sold my Empyrean now and picked up lcd-4 in maple. Now I have lcd-3 and 4. Also need to find a good 4 pin xlr cable that isn’t overpriced. I have a cheap copper Luna shop cable that I prefer over stock but can’t help wondering if I’m missing out.
The LCD-4's premium cable is very, very good; if you can: change the original jack to an XLR-4 pin and solve the "problem".
I made the next for a friend:
LCD4cable.jpg

Be safe!
C.K.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #5,669 of 6,385
I have owned the 2C for a couple of months and I really like them. I had a great buying opportunity for a 3 year old used LCD-3 this past weekend so I drove an hour to Toronto to audition them. I was immediately impressed with the bigger sound from the LCD-3 with simply more information across the entire frequency range. Bass went deeper and is more detailed sounding, midrange was better as well. Treble was also more expansive sounding but not edgy or peaky sounding which is what I prefer.

Although fit and comfort is a bit of an issue especially compared to the excellent fit I have with my LCD-2C, I am experimenting with padded headband covers to hopefully improve this personal issue. However the sound is very pleasing and offers enough of a difference in comparison to the 2C so I that I decided to buy them. For now I intend to keep both.

Thanks for your helpful comments. Actually, I bought the LCD-3 more than six months ago but only got a few hours on them before I had to travel and have not been home since.

Jul 20, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #5,670 of 6,385

Do they now sell the LCD4 in Maple? I have the maple LCD-3 and it is beautiful but didn't know they have a version for the LCD4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back