Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
May 22, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #5,641 of 6,385
Cavelli Liquid Platinum from Monoprice, or one of the Schiit headphone amps.

There's a lot of Chinese tube amps out there that you can order direct from Shenzhen. I had a Vincent one years ago; it had questionable construction, some unsafe wiring, and a lot of useless features (like a row of LEDs behind the tubes).

Yes, I checked it out, and it looks a solid state amp. I feel I want something more dynamic and warmer than an SS amp

May 22, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #5,642 of 6,385
Pathos Aurium should be a good choice but the English links on their site are borked.

May 22, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #5,643 of 6,385
Cavelli Liquid Platinum from Monoprice, or one of the Schiit headphone amps.

There's a lot of Chinese tube amps out there that you can order direct from Shenzhen. I had a Vincent one years ago; it had questionable construction, some unsafe wiring, and a lot of useless features (like a row of LEDs behind the tubes).

Oh, I already have the Cayin HA-300.

20200512_150017_HDR.jpg

20200512_145922_HDR.jpg

May 29, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #5,644 of 6,385
I just got a second hand LCD-3F today, and had it EQ'd within my first hour of listening to them. I had lifted the bass a bit (low shelf of 1.8 db at 60 Hz). I had been mainly trying to flatten the curve. It says they are a bit weaker than the LCD-X, in that area.

I had used Tyll Hertsens Inner Fidelity graphs only, as a guide, and nothing else. He is the only person I can think of, who had done methodical tests of multiple LCD-3's over time, with a quality rig. He had not only tested pre and post fazor models, but also different serial numbers after the fazor had gone in. I'm trying to figure out still if the first batch of 3F had a dip in the bass, that Audeze had later repaired (most planars have a dead flat curve down to 30 Hz, and with none of the impedance and phase shift that my tower speaker/sub combo suffers from). You might pull FR plots of known neutral headphones to use as a guide (like the Sennheiser HD650).

Sorry if this has been covered before, but has anyone EQed their LCD-3F to sound more like a pre fazor LCD-3 or even the first iteration of the LCD-3F?

May 29, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #5,645 of 6,385
Female vocals are what I had disliked the most about HiFiMan's Aryas (at the same price, in my case), and that is why I had returned them. They had sounded synthetic. I hadn't gone any further than Clare Torry on DSOTM at the time, thinking if The Great Gig in the Sky sounded off, I wouldn't like how other female singers sounded either. I've only had it for eight hours thus far, but the LCD-3 has been a better experience so far. I have played Heart and Madonna. Genre had mattered little; the qualities

I feel the LCD-3F doesn't offer as much micro detail as my former choices (Arya and Focal Clear), but the LCD-3 has a pleasant, creamy, warm, enveloping midrange. I feel that the LCD-3 has a more natural timbre in the upper midrange than the Arya.

Still have to get used to the LCD-3's dark, and distant presentation. I feel like the singer and the instruments are far away from me (but, the earpads are large).

The next one I may be looking at is ZMF's Auteur.

Thinking of picking up a pair of LCD3.

How are they with female vocals? Mainly listen to folk/indie/rock/some metal, all with female vocals.
My current favorites being -
Laurel
Emma Ruth Rundle
Chelsea Wolfe

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

May 29, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #5,646 of 6,385
Female vocals are what I had disliked the most about HiFiMan's Aryas (at the same price, in my case), and that is why I had returned them. They had sounded synthetic. I hadn't gone any further than Clare Torry on DSOTM at the time, thinking if The Great Gig in the Sky sounded off, I wouldn't like how other female singers sounded either. I've only had it for eight hours thus far, but the LCD-3 has been a better experience so far. I have played Heart and Madonna. Genre had mattered little; the qualities

I feel the LCD-3F doesn't offer as much micro detail as my former choices (Arya and Focal Clear), but the LCD-3 has a pleasant, creamy, warm, enveloping midrange. I feel that the LCD-3 has a more natural timbre in the upper midrange than the Arya.

Still have to get used to the LCD-3's dark, and distant presentation. I feel like the singer and the instruments are far away from me (but, the earpads are large).

The next one I may be looking at is ZMF's Auteur.

Funny thing, I used to think the LCD-3's a bit dark with laid-back mid-treble, at least with the Schiit Lyr 3 + Sylvania 3-hole Bad Boy tubes. Once I got the Cayin HA-300 tube amp, it opened up in the treble, and really got more air and clarity with the Psvane ACME 300b tubes. And then a whole other level when I upgraded from the Chord Qutest to the Chord Hugo TT2!

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #5,647 of 6,385
Funny thing, I used to think the LCD-3's a bit dark with laid-back mid-treble, at least with the Schiit Lyr 3 + Sylvania 3-hole Bad Boy tubes. Once I got the Cayin HA-300 tube amp, it opened up in the treble, and really got more air and clarity with the Psvane ACME 300b tubes. And then a whole other level when I upgraded from the Chord Qutest to the Chord Hugo TT2!

20200512_150040_HDR.jpg

Really impressive set-up, I think a LCD-4 would deserve the place there too!

May 29, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #5,648 of 6,385
Really impressive set-up, I think a LCD-4 would deserve the place there too!

My friend is going to come up from San Diego to LA to bring his M-Scaler and LCD-4 in a week. I can't wait for to test that combo with my current system!!

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #5,652 of 6,385
Hi All,

I have switched recently from lcd 2f (2015) to lcd 3f (2016). Lcd 3 are obviously a lot better in terms of overall SQ, however are a lot brighter than lcd 2 f at the same time. The amp I am using is Burson conductor v2+. It drives lcd 3 very well, the sound is smooth musical and airy. At the same time I miss a bit the darkness/ musicality of lcd 2f. This is because I also use a Polish tube amp (Sinusaudio dual mono) with my lcd 3. The sound is richer and more full bodied as compared to Burson.

Burson is definetely staying with me, but I am considering upgrading my tube amp. I am looking for my lcd 3 to sound more colorful/ musical, full boddied with deep bass, sweet midrange and hights. But not muddy at the same time. Has anybody an experience with pairing lcd 3f (post 2015) with such amps like Woo audio wa 2 or Feliks audio euforia? I have seen some similar threads, however all coming from before 2015. Many thanks for all thoughts!

EDIT: just thought also about woo audio wa22, as it is recommended for lcd 3. It seems a bit more expensive and i' m also mot sure if it has full, colorful sound i am looking for.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #5,653 of 6,385
Hi All,

I have switched recently from lcd 2f (2015) to lcd 3f (2016). Lcd 3 are obviously a lot better in terms of overall SQ, however are a lot brighter than lcd 2 f at the same time. The amp I am using is Burson conductor v2+. It drives lcd 3 very well, the sound is smooth musical and airy. At the same time I miss a bit the darkness/ musicality of lcd 2f. This is because I also use a Polish tube amp (Sinusaudio dual mono) with my lcd 3. The sound is richer and more full bodied as compared to Burson.

Burson is definetely staying with me, but I am considering upgrading my tube amp. I am looking for my lcd 3 to sound more colorful/ musical, full boddied with deep bass, sweet midrange and hights. But not muddy at the same time. Has anybody an experience with pairing lcd 3f (post 2015) with such amps like Woo audio wa 2 or Feliks audio euforia? I have seen some similar threads, however all coming from before 2015. Many thanks for all thoughts!

May I know why you opt for OTL tube amp?

Never heard euforia before, but I do like the sweetness and wide soundstage of Auris HA-2 SE for Audeze.

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #5,654 of 6,385
I just upgraded my LCD-3 pre-fazor to an LCD-4.

I just love the LCD-3 sound, and hope to get more of that with the LCD-4...it should arrive on Monday.

The LCD-3 is a fantastic headphone and you can find some really nice pricing on a 2nd hand pair these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back