Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #4,471 of 6,385
Anyone have the Draug v2 - 8x24awg cables for the LCD3'S? I ordered mine last month and still waiting? I'm interested in some opinions on this cable. TIA

I have this cable for my LCD3 driven out of the Violectric 281. It makes the treble too muffled and soft. I have reverted to the stock Audeze supplied cable which sounds more natural to me.
I think these phones need a silver cable not copper if you are upgrading.
I now use the Draug2 with my Sennheiser HD800S which matches much better.

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #4,472 of 6,385
  Got the microsuede pads, a lot comfier and a tad lighter feeling than the leather. They absorb a bit more sound than the leather which explains why they make the sound a bit smoother as well. The sound absorption applies mainly to the sub bass, so I'm cranking the volume a bit more to get more of it and the rumbly reverb. The highs aren't as impacted as I thought. Gonna need more time to figure that out.

Maybe stitch leather into the inside of the vegan pads, within the channels where sound passes though before it gets to you ear.

Result: The unmolested sound of the leather pads, with the softness and cool temp of the vegan pads?

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #4,474 of 6,385
I have this cable for my LCD3 driven out of the Violectric 281. It makes the treble too muffled and soft. I have reverted to the stock Audeze supplied cable which sounds more natural to me.
I think these phones need a silver cable not copper if you are upgrading.
I now use the Draug2 with my Sennheiser HD800S which matches much better.

That's disappointing news, I hope my ears interpret differently. Did you re-terminate them for the HD800S yourself? Was it difficult if you did? I have no experience in that area myself.
I have wywires platinum cables with my HD800S and really have grown to appreciate them. I wonder how they'd pair with the LCDs? Maybe I could do a switch?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #4,476 of 6,385
I just ordered the CF headband and new pads for the old LCD3 I picked up a few weeks ago. While they're taken apart, I took the time to rewax the wood. They don't look quite new but hopefully this will be a nice refurbish product.

Question - has anyone ever added a small channel for air to escape under the pads? I believe the LCD4 does this with felt to avoid damage to the driver from the pressure.

I was thinking of placing a tiny piece of flexible heat shrink tubing under the pads that would make it possible for the air pressure to equalize while the pads are being out on/taken off, but compress easily enough to avoid messing up the seal.

Any thoughts?

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #4,477 of 6,385
Norneaudio made a conversion piece for me: the cable can now connect to either phone.
The Violectric is a warm sounding amp so you may have a different experience.

I had no idea that was even possible. Does the conversion piece work pretty smoothly when you're interchanging HP's? Any loss in SQ you've noticed using it?

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #4,479 of 6,385
Thanks you just saved me some $$... I'll give it a try. Not to be pushy but how long did it take from the time you ordered to get your conversion piece from Norme.
I ask because that's where I ordered the Draug2 from and it's been a month w/no change in order status.

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #4,480 of 6,385
Thanks you just saved me some $$... I'll give it a try. Not to be pushy but how long did it take from the time you ordered to get your conversion piece from Norme.
I ask because that's where I ordered the Draug2 from and it's been a month w/no change in order status.

Average about two months to get anything from them. An email to Trevor Goldman helps.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #4,481 of 6,385
Average about two months to get anything from them. An email to Trevor Goldman helps.

I heard from him recently. Seems nice enough. I guess I'll just continue to wait it out.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #4,482 of 6,385
Question - has anyone ever added a small channel for air to escape under the pads? I believe the LCD4 does this with felt to avoid damage to the driver from the pressure.

I was thinking of placing a tiny piece of flexible heat shrink tubing under the pads that would make it possible for the air pressure to equalize while the pads are being out on/taken off, but compress easily enough to avoid messing up the seal.

Any thoughts?

Dunno if this is possible but I think it's one of the reasons LCD-4 has better sub bass. I notice that the less tight of a seal the earpads make, the more the sub bass comes through.

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #4,484 of 6,385
I just ordered the CF headband and new pads for the old LCD3 I picked up a few weeks ago. While they're taken apart, I took the time to rewax the wood. They don't look quite new but hopefully this will be a nice refurbish product.

Any thoughts?

Yes, it was in my LCD 4 2016 driver version but not on the LCD 3. I think its for the same reason as you mentioned but I wouldn't imagine this was the reason for the driver failures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back