Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #4,458 of 6,385
So I picked up a set of used (2012-era) LCD-3s for a price cheap enough that it made sense even if the drivers fail.

They work just fine, but the drivers seem to get weird if I apply any pressure to the cups when they're on - it's as if the air pressure trapped around my ear by the pads forces the drivers outwards. I'm probably not articulating this very well, but is this the issue that causes the death of the old LCD drivers?

Dec 18, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #4,460 of 6,385
  So I picked up a set of used (2012-era) LCD-3s for a price cheap enough that it made sense even if the drivers fail.

They work just fine, but the drivers seem to get weird if I apply any pressure to the cups when they're on - it's as if the air pressure trapped around my ear by the pads forces the drivers outwards. I'm probably not articulating this very well, but is this the issue that causes the death of the old LCD drivers?

This is what most people suspect. Best to put them on and off gently and not press them against your ears.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #4,461 of 6,385
My second hand pair of my lcd3c has been "repaired" according to the frequency response sheet, i'm wondering, is it possible they replace only one driver with a different impedance than the other one ? I got a mjolnir v1 and i feel a strong channel imblance, the seller told me it was in perfect state and had no problem with it. Wondering...

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #4,462 of 6,385
My understanding is that they always replace both drivers so they match up.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #4,463 of 6,385
  My second hand pair of my lcd3c has been "repaired" according to the frequency response sheet, i'm wondering, is it possible they replace only one driver with a different impedance than the other one ? I got a mjolnir v1 and i feel a strong channel imblance, the seller told me it was in perfect state and had no problem with it. Wondering...

Swap cable sides to check...if it follows the cable it's the amp (or cable), if it stays put then it's the drivers.

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #4,465 of 6,385
Just received my first ever Audeze can with the LCD3F, man what a dynamic headphone! Im sure that low end trumps my previous HD800 & 800S. Some great listening sessions coming up! 
beyersmile.png

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #4,466 of 6,385
I wonder at what price point Audeze could offer a driver upgrade program. get your lcd2 turned into a 3 for ~500 or a 3 to a 4 for 1k$. At that price i might consider upgrading to an LCD-4 as my next headphone. It makes upgrading from 3 to 4 and attractive option for us loyal LCD owners where otherwise it sounds like a very small yet expensive performance gain.

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #4,469 of 6,385
  Well, the imbalance remains on the same side. I did the same at the rear of the amp, it doesnt change anything. The amp has something going wrong then :frowning2:

Could be you have a bad driver if it stays on the same side after doing all the cable switching.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #4,470 of 6,385
Anyone have the Draug v2 - 8x24awg cables for the LCD3'S? I ordered mine last month and still waiting? I'm interested in some opinions on this cable. TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back