Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #4,501 of 6,385

In the audio world some things are pricey that don't make a very obvious difference. These may or may not be expensive but they are effective. To me if you can afford the headphones you should likely want to pop the extra for the better headband. They are that comfortable. Heck I don't know why I am even saying that, I have never worn any of my LCD's without the CF band, my first set of LCD-2's I bought used here included one.

I have 2 of them, one was essentially free and the other I bought new for $170. To me it seems worth it, perhaps not for others. 

"To me if you can afford the headphones you should likely want to pop the extra for the better headband." I could also pop for a 500.00 set of cables because I "can afford the headphones" with that thinking.

For "the better" headband as you state, that's a subjective statement. Some people have said it's made a huge difference others not so much.
I'm thinking most people in this particular forum are LCD3 owners so could afford the "upgrade".  I already ordered them because they're my favorite HP's and I will judge for myself if they're worth the price.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #4,502 of 6,385
  "To me if you can afford the headphones you should likely want to pop the extra for the better headband." I could also pop for a 500.00 set of cables because I "can afford the headphones" with that thinking.

For "the better" headband as you state, that's a subjective statement. Some people have said it's made a huge difference others not so much.
I'm thinking most people in this particular forum are LCD3 owners so could afford the "upgrade".  I already ordered them because they're my favorite HP's and I will judge for myself if they're worth the price.

Full disclosure when I first replied to your post I hadn't realized you had just bought them, it's all good. I agree with all of your points.
As for if they have fixed them, not quite. One replacement leather they sent me was ok and the new ones I were not. I had them send me another leather for it as well and same story. I have now had to modify one of them. Perhaps it has to do with head shape but they really need to make them at least 6mm shorter.

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #4,503 of 6,385
I suppose it depends on how much it bothers you and how much of a relief you want. For me a $3 piece of wool was good enough of a comfort (and as light as it is, only adds weight).

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #4,504 of 6,385
So they have been redesigned so that the leather suspension strap doesn't touch the carbon fiber? I bought two headbands the second they were released, one for my XC's and one for the 3's. They both created hot spots on my head as the leather was touching the carbon. I had to shorten the leather straps a few mm on each side. After that mod they are very comfy, it's however quite embarrassing that you had to mod a $200 headband.

Whoops, Yes. I forgot to mention that I did the mod too, after which they were quite comfortable. But this wasn't the case for LCD XC, they were heavy with and without the CF headband. Really had to wipe my tears when doing it :)

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #4,505 of 6,385
So they have been redesigned so that the leather suspension strap doesn't touch the carbon fiber? I bought two headbands the second they were released, one for my XC's and one for the 3's. They both created hot spots on my head as the leather was touching the carbon. I had to shorten the leather straps a few mm on each side. After that mod they are very comfy, it's however quite embarrassing that you had to mod a $200 headband.

Whoops, Yes. I forgot to mention that I did the mod too, after which they were quite comfortable. But this wasn't the case for LCD XC, they were heavy with and without the CF headband. Really had to wipe my tears when doing it :)

Yeah, the XC's are very heavy cans. LCD-3's feels lightweight in comparison. XC's weight doesn't bother me when used with the (modded) carbon fiber headband.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #4,506 of 6,385
i just got my new audeze lcd3.
theres one thing that is bothering ...

a squeaky/creaky noise , just like an old door , that comes from the part where screws meet metal cup holder, so whenever a cup rotates a little , sometimes , not every time but very often i get this creaky/squeaky sound.

i am worried that screws are over tightened and it may cost wood to crack.

whats your thoughts on that guys ?
anyone here had the same experience ?? 

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #4,507 of 6,385

a squeaky/creaky noise , just like an old door , that comes from the part where screws meet metal cup holder, so whenever a cup rotates a little , sometimes , not every time but very often i get this creaky/squeaky sound.

No, never had this issue. One other question though, are they with the 2016 drivers? Have you had a chance to compare them with the older ones?

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #4,508 of 6,385
@Gamergtx260 

yes , a new 2016 model.
zebrano wood is really dark , comparing to previous models and more treble energy - faster more transparent sound with more bite to it...
previous models have reputation to be  darker and creamier but less open soundstage and less detailed ...

personalt i haven't heard classic lcd3, but while listening to mine 2016 lcd3 F i don't think i want sound to be even darker and thicker with less treble.

2mine ears lcd3F sound dark and sweet , with gorgeous midrange that is so juicy and meaty, yet sound is open transparent fast and flexible  , tonal balance is spot on...

thats what i was missing on lcd2F , that flexibility , comparing to lcd3F , lcd2F sound tense and bold with thick imaging but treble is rolled off a little and at times with some records sound was congested.

lcd3F feels very relaxed , it keeps calm no matter how demanding music is , and plays all with grace and finess , never loses its nerve....always in control , and that charming personality and fluid liquidity  shouldn't be confused with softer tone , compared to lcd2F...
soundstage is impressive on lcd3F , its done simply right!

as bass goes , i haven't heard lcd3 classic , maybe it was bolder and warmer....other head-fiers should chim in and let us now , but bass on lcd3F 2016 is all-that.   its has full-body and all those layers to it , tones and over tones , each instrument has its own bass , - drums bass guitar  piano vocal singer voice , you can clearly hear each has its own bass tone and amount , very cool!

lcd3F has the best and the most nuanced bass i ever heard , it goes deep , its tight and well controlled , yet warm musical and so rich in tonality ...

I am very impressed !!!

it would be interesting to hear older versions of lcd3 but i doubt i would go back from the ones i have on my head right now )

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #4,509 of 6,385
  @Gamergtx260 

yes , a new 2016 model.
zebrano wood is really dark , comparing to previous models and more treble energy - faster more transparent sound with more bite to it...
previous models have reputation to be  darker and creamier but less open soundstage and less detailed ...

personalt i haven't heard classic lcd3, but while listening to mine 2016 lcd3 F i don't think i want sound to be even darker and thicker with less treble.

2mine ears lcd3F sound dark and sweet , with gorgeous midrange that is so juicy and meaty, yet sound is open transparent fast and flexible  , tonal balance is spot on...

thats what i was missing on lcd2F , that flexibility , comparing to lcd3F , lcd2F sound tense and bold with thick imaging but treble is rolled off a little and at times with some records sound was congested.

lcd3F feels very relaxed , it keeps calm no matter how demanding music is , and plays all with grace and finess , never loses its nerve....always in control , and that charming personality and fluid liquidity  shouldn't be confused with softer tone , compared to lcd2F...
soundstage is impressive on lcd3F , its done simply right!

as bass goes , i haven't heard lcd3 classic , maybe it was bolder and warmer....other head-fiers should chim in and let us now , but bass on lcd3F 2016 is all-that.   its has full-body and all those layers to it , tones and over tones , each instrument has its own bass , - drums bass guitar  piano vocal singer voice , you can clearly hear each has its own bass tone and amount , very cool!

lcd3F has the best and the most nuanced bass i ever heard , it goes deep , its tight and well controlled , yet warm musical and so rich in tonality ...

I am very impressed !!!

it would be interesting to hear older versions of lcd3 but i doubt i would go back from the ones i have on my head right now )

Thanks for the extensive post.

As far as I remember I had the 2014 drivers, fazor version and they sounded dark, with lots of bass and the mids were the best I ever experienced. Liked them over all the other headphones even the LCD 4. The treble was recessed without much sparkle at the first listen but on an extensive listen (over a week) it is not bad at all instead the treble seemed more natural than any other and timbre was close to original.

I would always want that darker sound back, but as far as I read from other users who compared both the previous 2016 with the 2016 drivers, I understand the 2016 version is a love or hate upgrade. I wish to get my phones soon and I will post a detailed comparison :)

In my opinion, LCD3 and the HD 800S with a good amp/dac combo can be the end game setup to many, maybe the Utopia is better but at that cost, these both can give the freedom to switch between different tonality.

Cheers mate and happy listening!

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #4,510 of 6,385
Selling my LCD-3 classics non-fazor if anyone is interested. Really don't want to let them go because the rumors are true they do sound the creamiest and most forgiving of all, but getting an LCD-4 soon and doesn't make sense to keep both.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #4,511 of 6,385
@Gamergtx260 

Thanks, cheers!

@kyle1010 

i would keep both , the one thing i learned is - if a piece of audio gear really hits the sweet spot - dont sell it , you may miss it once its gone.

and a newer technically more superior gear is not always as loved as the old trusted gear that won your ears...

so don't rush things , keep both for a while and if you end up listening to lcd4 all the time and lcd3 classic will get dusty then maybe think about selling it for a good price...

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #4,512 of 6,385

Squeaks, in my experience, usually mean that there's some dirt where metal meets metal.
You could try loosening the screw just a touch, or removing it and cleaning it.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #4,513 of 6,385
it doesn't seem like a dirt-problem , as my headphones are new.
and as creaky noise comes from where metal screw sits in the middle of wooden cup and meats the metal cup holder , it sounds/and feels in hand as this metal cup holder resonate and vibrate a little too , as it gets some kind of resistance.

i even get a little "click" sound from metal cup holder too

i think its overtightened screws , I'm going to o loosen screws a little and see if it helps.

thanks for advise ...

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #4,514 of 6,385

Are you sure the creaky noise comes from the parts where screws meets the metal cup holder? The reason I’m asking is that the pads can sound like this. The vegan pads make much more noise than the leather, but the leather is not completely silent.

You are correct. Compared to previous models the 2016 LCD3 has more treble energy, a bit faster and more transparent sound with more air. The older ones was darker, more laid back and had a more rolled of treble. The older the model the darker and more forgiving they are. 

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #4,515 of 6,385
yesterday right channel went silent , i thought driver is dead at first...
i went to the store to get another cable just to check if it was driver failure or a problem with a cable.
then i saw a latest version of lcd3F hanging in the demo room , i was curious about it since audeze told me the re-voice of driver and better damping of headphone cup should bring lots of improvements like:

- better clarity
-higher resolution
-cleaner tighter and better controlled low end
-better imaging
-smoother mids
-smoother overall FR

Guys at my local hifi store were kind enough to loan me new lcd3F over weekend ...

This unit is brand new , literarily no burn in what so ever ...

My first impressions are kind of mixed 

new lcd3 have  more powerful and punchy bass , its a lot more tighter and cleaner , hits really hard and goes low , more sub bass ...
but its not as bold and warm as it was on older version.
mids are more smooth and detailed , higher resolution and better separation with blacker background,  less resonance  - so new lcd3 sound more like speakers setup
more open sound with more air..

but new lcd3 have less body and sound is drier and thinner compared to previous version, its brighter faster and more transparent with higher treble energy.
mids are not seductive and intimate anymore, now its another character.   Some will like it and some will hate it...

One thing worth noticing is comfort - new lcd3 have even softer pads , when you put headphones on , pads squash and get pressed so the pads goes down in size almost by 40%.
and the distance from ear to driver gets closer , and that effect the sound ... again a matter of preference , as it improves somethings and mess up other stuff...
comfort wise this softer pads are better...
im not sure if its just this unit that got such pads or every lcd3(2016) will get such soft pads ...

Personally i find new lcd3(december of 2016)  technically more superior headphone with its improved damping of headphone cup and more comfy pads, the re-voicing of driver I'm not so sure about, its no longer dark sweet full-bodied warm and bold that audeze was known and liked for...

2my ears the charm is gone , and those glorious juicy/creamy mids are gone 2...

i will keep burning in them to see how they blossom with more hours on them, but sound character won't change ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back