Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #4,531 of 6,385
@Drrizzt

if i was willing to " get used to the sound" i wouldn't bother with high end gear ...
after you heard the sound thrue the headphones that really suit your taste and lifted the whole listening experience to a high level , going back from that is hard...

once you heard great sound, no matter of its headphones , dac or amp, going from it to something less is a problem because its simply won't be satisfying . Even thou audio memory is short and with time i won't remember because the brain will adapt to the new sound character, i will still know the level of satisfaction I'm at - because everything will be compared to the best sound i ever heard at some point of my life,  in terms of headphones - for me its lcd3f   before 2016 revision ...

if i end up with new 2016 drivers my brain could get used to the sound but my heart won't, thats why i won't bother...

as for the audeze lcd3 core identity -  it is its midrange , that is simply glorious and most musical i ever heard!  Its sophisticated and very elegant sonic character with full-bodied refine sound along with one of the best if not the best low end that had so many layers and presence without being " in your face "  but rather give you a feeling of sitting in a concert hall and not a feeling of a room and subwoofer , thats all gone with new 2016 drivers.

new voicing is going towards more bright fast  detailed and transparent sound that remains very smooth, i think they want lcd3 to compete with Stax...
but at the price of thinner and drier mids and low end that is more about sub bass ( feeling of subwoofer in a room)  i don't think Audeze is going at the right direction...

Personally , if my lcd3 dies and replaced drivers sound anything near of 2016 revision , I'm selling lcd3 and going to stax 007 mk2... but i would probably miss the low end of my lcd3...

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #4,532 of 6,385

as for the audeze lcd3 core identity -  it is its midrange , that is simply glorious and most musical i ever heard!  Its sophisticated and very elegant sonic character with full-bodied refine sound along with one of the best if not the best low end that had so many layers and presence without being " in your face "  but rather give you a feeling of sitting in a concert hall and not a feeling of a room and subwoofer , thats all gone with new 2016 drivers.

Your explanation of the mid range mirrors exactly my experience. I should get mine next week, hopefully its not a different headphone all together.

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #4,533 of 6,385
It was quite interesting going home back to my very early LCD2 after hearing the LCD3.

The LCD3 exposed a 1khz peak on my LCD2. There is more sub bass without losing definition, more bass punch as well. The upper mids were smoother, because of the fazor, sound like a horn loaded upper midrange a bit, horns are smooth. The upper treble was lifted.

The LCD2 was never grainy in the top end, but after hearing the 3 it sounds like it is, but its not, its channel matching in the top end is not as good as the 3.

The 3 has a smoother frequency response, and is better for it.

I am reminded also that I did hear that faint tapping noise when placing the LCD3 on my ears, this was the driver popping so to speak, from the positive pressure when initially creating the seal. I never heard this from my 2s.

If I didn't already have the 2s, I would pay to have these 3s.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #4,534 of 6,385
Let me know if this is too big a thread crap...

Just received a pair of second-hand LCD3s and right away I felt the headband was way too loose.  I've read many posts of people trying to loosen the headbands up, but, what about doing the opposite and making them fit tighter?

Is this just a matter of just cranking them in, rather than out? 

Thanks.

-Mike

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #4,535 of 6,385
got 2 say , meridian prime and lcd3 sound real good together, nice synergy....
i was a little skeptical about that pairing at first because of the power output numbers in prime spec.    250mW into 42 Ohms...

but the sound speaks for itself , its simply great )

anyone else heard lcd3 driven by Meridian Prime ?
whats your impressions ?

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #4,536 of 6,385
I received them today. They sound much more balanced with a very slight reduction in the bass/mid range. 
When directly comparing them with the HD 800S, I can describe them visually better I guess :wink:

-----  Lows ---------------------------- Mids --------------------------- Highs-------
                   Pre-2016 LCD3      
                                                                  HD800
                                              HD800S
                          2016 LCD3

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #4,537 of 6,385
Went all out and got the LCD-3's with the deckard amp, I figured I'd keep it in the family. I was reciently at the can jam NYC and felt these would be a good fit for me, i should have them in the middle of next week. Im hoping for some pointers with burn in time and general maintenance tips. Would it be alright to use a burn in disk for these headphones? Any tips will be helpful I worked my ass off to get these cans and plan on keeping them for awhile.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #4,538 of 6,385
Went all out and got the LCD-3's with the deckard amp, I figured I'd keep it in the family. I was reciently at the can jam NYC and felt these would be a good fit for me, i should have them in the middle of next week. Im hoping for some pointers with burn in time and general maintenance tips. Would it be alright to use a burn in disk for these headphones? Any tips will be helpful I worked my ass off to get these cans and plan on keeping them for awhile.

Congrats on the purchase. I was listening to the LCD3s through the Deckard last night. So so good. You will love it.

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #4,540 of 6,385
@EarDrumExplode 

Congratulations!

LCD3 is a thing of beauty!

I strongly advice against burning lcd3 with any type of burn-in cd's or any type of Noise ( like pink noise for example)
In my experience burn-in cds or noise tunes speed up a process and you will hear difference in sound much faster , a tighter bass , mids clean up and get more distinguish and highs get more smooth but...

it also brings many unwanted artifacts , sounds feels over damped and lifeless , mids get thinner with less bass...

Now every headphone react differently on burn in, i had experience with cascade noise and isotek burn in cd.
i tried it on headphones like , sennheiser  hd800 , hd650 , beyerdynamic t5p , audeze sine , and let me tell you, i was excited by the fast changes in sound it brought but in the end i regret it and wish i would simply use music.

I advise to burn in your new lcd3 gently!  don't over stress the diaphragm of driver...
5 hours of music 2 hours of rest could be good way to go.

Use different type of music, from smooth jazz with rich vocals to techno with tight and powerful bassline, something like Trentemöller or Psy Trance like infected mushrooms.

music with cymbals drums and guitars could give your lcd3 a good work out , something like The white stripes  and then go to something smooth slow and sweet like Diana Krall.  Acoustic records where instruments actually touched real air is very good too..

The idea is to keep drivers on their toes and don't let them get used to same type of stress level...

Its also important to change volume from low to mid , from mid to high .  Don't burn in lcd3 with same volume level all the time...
be careful with high volume thou , lcd3 will play without any distortion at high volume levels , it will still  sound great and smooth and you could damage your hearing...

Don't make a thing of burn-in thou, while lcd3 need a good burn-in , its not very important  and you shouldn't focus on it too much , focus on music instead , lcd3 sure know how to play music )

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #4,542 of 6,385
@EarDrumExplode

Congratulations!

LCD3 is a thing of beauty!

I strongly advice against burning lcd3 with any type of burn-in cd's or any type of Noise ( like pink noise for example)
In my experience burn-in cds or noise tunes speed up a process and you will hear difference in sound much faster , a tighter bass , mids clean up and get more distinguish and highs get more smooth but...

it also brings many unwanted artifacts , sounds feels over damped and lifeless , mids get thinner with less bass...

Now every headphone react differently on burn in, i had experience with cascade noise and isotek burn in cd.
i tried it on headphones like , sennheiser  hd800 , hd650 , beyerdynamic t5p , audeze sine , and let me tell you, i was excited by the fast changes in sound it brought but in the end i regret it and wish i would simply use music.

I advise to burn in your new lcd3 gently!  don't over stress the diaphragm of driver...
5 hours of music 2 hours of rest could be good way to go.

Use different type of music, from smooth jazz with rich vocals to techno with tight and powerful bassline, something like Trentemöller or Psy Trance like infected mushrooms.

music with cymbals drums and guitars could give your lcd3 a good work out , something like The white stripes  and then go to something smooth slow and sweet like Diana Krall.  Acoustic records where instruments actually touched real air is very good too..

The idea is to keep drivers on their toes and don't let them get used to same type of stress level...

Its also important to change volume from low to mid , from mid to high .  Don't burn in lcd3 with same volume level all the time...
be careful with high volume thou , lcd3 will play without any distortion at high volume levels , it will still  sound great and smooth and you could damage your hearing...

Don't make a thing of burn-in thou, while lcd3 need a good burn-in , its not very important  and you shouldn't focus on it too much , focus on music instead , lcd3 sure know how to play music )

Thanks for the good advise!

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #4,544 of 6,385
Again this old legend of burn in process...you might read the article from Tyll@innerfidelity about the subject. 

Yeah, I agree. It's funny how people mistake "burn in" versus "break-in'. What's there to burn-in on headphones? And honestly, there's nothing about headphone drivers that really need to 'break in" in my opinion. The membranes on these planers weigh practically less than air. What's to break in? All part of the snake oil that's "audiophilia" LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back