Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 12, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #4,428 of 6,385
I just got a used LCD-3f pre 2016 driver.  In comparison to my LCD-XC 2016 driver I am finding it more creamy.  Less in in your face.  Less fatiguing.  Obviously harder to drive.  I am liking the contrast because I like the XC in your face separated instrument sound at times.  And I need the XC when listening in bed.  I will now need to read up on the LCD-3f pre and post 2016 differences unless someone is willing to state again what those differences are in their opinion?  Thank you in advance.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #4,429 of 6,385
I just got a used LCD-3f pre 2016 driver.  In comparison to my LCD-XC 2016 driver I am finding it more creamy.  Less in in your face.  Less fatiguing.  Obviously harder to drive.  I am liking the contrast because I like the XC in your face separated instrument sound at times.  And I need the XC when listening in bed.  I will now need to read up on the LCD-3f pre and post 2016 differences unless someone is willing to state again what those differences are in their opinion?  Thank you in advance.

I did the same comparison with my pre 2016 lcd-3f to a current 2016. I preferred my 2015 . More creamy as you mentioned was first and foremost noted and it seemed to be less grainy sounding. I preferred it for sure. Unfortunately, the left driver went out after 15 months of service. I now have the 2016 replacement drivers. It still has that great LCD-3f signature sound no doubt, but missing that last bit of midrange cream of the older drivers.

I might add that with my 2015 drivers, I sometimes preferred it to my LCD-4s with certain genres at times (rock). With the new 2016 drivers, I always prefer the LCD-4. Some subtle magic did disappear with the 2016 drivers IMO.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #4,430 of 6,385
I did the same comparison with my pre 2016 lcd-3f to a current 2016. I preferred my 2015 . More creamy as you mentioned was first and foremost noted and it seemed to be less grainy sounding. I preferred it for sure. Unfortunately, the left driver went out after 15 months of service. I now have the 2016 replacement drivers. It still has that great LCD-3f signature sound no doubt, but missing that last bit of midrange cream of the older drivers.

I might add that with my 2015 drivers, I sometimes preferred it to my LCD-4s with certain genres at times (rock). With the new 2016 drivers, I always prefer the LCD-4. Some subtle magic did disappear with the 2016 drivers IMO.

That is some good information.  Can you please define for me what you mean by "grainy."  I am not understanding that term yet.  Thank you.

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #4,431 of 6,385
That is some good information.  Can you please define for me what you mean by "grainy."  I am not understanding that term yet.  Thank you.

I would describe grain as a slight courseness to the sound, i.e: not smooth. It is a subtle effect, yet definite.
It eventually leads to listening fatigue shortening your listening session. I've heard both mild and wild examples of grain coming from headphones and amps. In this case, it is very mild and only noticeable in a direct comparison between the 2015 and 2016 drivers.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #4,432 of 6,385

Thank you.  I appreciate your explanation.  I have been intensely into headphones for about 1 year.  The understanding and the experiential factors of figuring out the differences of the sounds in my head are a joy.
I would describe grain as a slight courseness to the sound, i.e.; not smooth. It is a subtle effect, yet definite.
It eventually leads to listening fatigue shortening your listening session. I've heard both mild and wild examples of grain coming from headphones and amps. In this case, it is very mild and only noticeable in a direct comparison between the 2015 and 2016 drivers.

Thank you.  I appreciate your explanation.  I have been intensely into headphones for about 1 year.  The understanding and the experiential factors of figuring out the differences of the sounds in my head are a joy.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #4,433 of 6,385
My original 2014 lcd-3f driver went out earlier this year and a was upgraded to the newest. I wouldn't say it sounds grainier at all, I would just say it sounds more open, but still has the same basic character. To me the newer version was a definite improvement.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #4,435 of 6,385
  Is anyone else having problems with the carbon fiber headband creating hotspots?  The carbon fiber strap makes contact with the leather strap and puts a lot of pressure on my head.

It is a design flaw and there is already a fix for it. You can find more infor here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/455rig/audeze_carbon_fibre_suspension_headband/?st=ivm5kv76&sh=c53855e4

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #4,436 of 6,385
My original 2014 lcd-3f driver went out earlier this year and a was upgraded to the newest. I wouldn't say it sounds grainier at all, I would just say it sounds more open, but still has the same basic character. To me the newer version was a definite improvement.

Jeep better and less grainy.

“grainy A moderate texturing of reproduced sound. The sonic equivalent of grain in a photograph. Coarser than dry but finer than gritty.”

Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary-f-h#3rg7rc1Mvp7KfpjH.99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back