Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #4,156 of 6,385
  What glue is used for the earpads? Just thrown my lcd-3 up for sale and the right one came off :frowning2:

Use double-coated adhesive tape. (dubbelhäftande tejp)

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #4,157 of 6,385

Use double-coated adhesive tape. (dubbelhäftande tejp)

Thanks! (Tack 
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #4,161 of 6,385
So I decided to get an LCD-4 Carbon Leather Headband for my LCD-3. Comfort was the main reason I got it since the headphones are fairly heavy and the stock headband is made up of various leather bumps which kind of act as pressure points, especially noticeable after extended listening sessions.The headband is extremely light but the main advantage is that it spreads out the weight of the ear cups over a much larger surface area.

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #4,163 of 6,385
http://www.adorama.com/AULCD3LZWTCD.html

For those interested, Adorama is selling the LCD3 + AK100II for $1945. Probably the cheapest you will find. Basically you get AK100II for free.

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #4,164 of 6,385
Another enthusiastic thumbs up on the new Carbon Fiber Headband!!! Gone is the towel that I had to wrap the former headband with for long listening sessions, that my Daughter and Wife found highly amusing (at my expense).

Truly, if you have comfort issues with the LCD-3, while my old towel is available, the carbon option looks much better :wink:!

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #4,165 of 6,385
I have a question regarding the airtight seal of the pads combined with the fazor drivers. About a year ago, my left driver died on me, and since I live in Sweden, the driver replacement process has been a long one... Anyway, I got both my drivers replaced a couple of months ago. The were ofc replaced with the fazor drivers (had a pair of classics from 2012). As expected from posts here, the sub bass presence was a bit less than the originals, but overall, the sound improved greatly and I was really happy. However, a while ago I discovered that opening my mouth and kind of locking my jaw open would increase the presence of sub bass by a great deal. Unfortunately, I really liked this sound 
biggrin.gif
. It is unfortunate, because I can't sit here with my mouth open all the time. I've come to realize that opening my mouth breaks the super tight seal that the pads make around my ears and on my head, and that is what is causing the (quite dramatic) increase in sub bass. Is it the same for any of you guys? If so, any clever work around to break this seal permanently so I can close my mouth and listen to my tunes without looking like I'm having a stroke?

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #4,166 of 6,385
You can try stretching the headband so that the pads don't squeeze on the side of the head as much. Sometimes the headband can be very very tight as mine was and it took several weeks of loosening it. Even so, not sure you will be able to completely break the seal and if the pads move further away it could reduce the bass. Maybe you can place something under the edge of the pad like a pen lid to create a small air gap.

I believe the LCD4 is now using a new attachment method for the pads that releases some of the vacuum from inside but I am not sure what that does to the bass, I believe they added that to relieve pressure on the driver to reduce failures. Not sure if it can be retrofitted to the LCD3 pads though.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #4,167 of 6,385
Originally Posted by mlxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  You can try stretching the headband so that the pads don't squeeze on the side of the head as much. Sometimes the headband can be very very tight as mine was and it took several weeks of loosening it. Even so, not sure you will be able to completely break the seal and if the pads move further away it could reduce the bass. Maybe you can place something under the edge of the pad like a pen lid to create a small air gap.

I believe the LCD4 is now using a new attachment method for the pads that releases some of the vacuum from inside but I am not sure what that does to the bass, I believe they added that to relieve pressure on the driver to reduce failures. Not sure if it can be retrofitted to the LCD3 pads though.

I've thought about cutting a piece of "marinade syringe" tube (thin metal tube) and sticking it under the back side of the pads. Feels pretty weird doing DIY mods on a 2k $ pair of headphones, but at least this would be totally reversible and I don't have to reduce the clamping force (really like how they sit on my head). 

Mar 21, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #4,168 of 6,385
  I've thought about cutting a piece of "marinade syringe" tube (thin metal tube) and sticking it under the back side of the pads. Feels pretty weird doing DIY mods on a 2k $ pair of headphones, but at least this would be totally reversible and I don't have to reduce the clamping force (really like how they sit on my head). 

Can also always try some EQ to boost the bass a bit.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #4,170 of 6,385

Did you email them?
As I can't see the headband on there site under the  "accessories/lcd-headbands" section.

There are a few retailers that have it (Adorama here in the US last I checked) but you can also contact Audeze directly through their support and sales department and buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back