Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #2,596 of 6,385
Congratulations. I'm very happy for you and I'm sure you'll be even more happier with the Vega.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #2,597 of 6,385
The problem is that he's looking for an analog-like sound. And Vega from what I know will not give him that even if it's a very good DAC.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #2,598 of 6,385
Yup, pulled the trigger, made the transaction via wire transfer today :wink: WEEEEEEEEE

What amp other than Schiit Lyr would go well with the auralic vega and LCD-3? :D Or should I wait for the Ragnarok?
  The problem is that he's looking for an analog-like sound. And Vega from what I know will not give him that even if it's a very good DAC.

I'm not looking for a an analog sound like that, I'm looking for a non sibilant DAC, Asus Xonar Essence STX is on that side.

I love detail, instrument separation, soundstaging (I know the two co-relate) and other things, but I've heard too much good stuff about the Auralic Vega and I've been liking what I saw since 2 years ago :)

Also, since everyone here is on the PS Audio bandwagon, any comparisons between the two?

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #2,599 of 6,385
Okay then 
smily_headphones1.gif

May it bring you many eargasms! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #2,600 of 6,385
What amp other than Schiit Lyr would go well with the auralic vega and LCD-3? :D Or should I wait for the Ragnarok?

I would go with an SS amp. I got both tubes and SS and prefer the SS bigtime.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #2,601 of 6,385
+1 for SS

I prefer tubes in my 2-channel stereo (Atma-Sphere OTL's with 8 tubes per channel!) but SS (Burson Conductor) with my LCD-3's. 

However, tastes can (and do) differ and combinations of different cans/amps/DACs/cables can be either accretive or dilutive. 

Happy hunting! 

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #2,602 of 6,385
+1 for SS

I prefer tubes in my 2-channel stereo (Atma-Sphere OTL's with 8 tubes per channel!) but SS (Burson Conductor) with my LCD-3's. 

However, tastes can (and do) differ and combinations of different cans/amps/DACs/cables can be either accretive or dilutive. 

Happy hunting! 

I listened to Chikolad's Burson Soloist and while it sounds cleaner I felt like something was missing I told him on the spot and now that I have the Schiit Lyr, I feel like I am not missing anything and plenty of low frquency authority and I wouldn't call it lacking in any direction whatsoever. I am still trying to think if I should go for a better amp like the taurus mk2 or the gs-x mk2 or schiit ragnarok but so far I am certainly happy with the lyr.

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #2,603 of 6,385
I listened to Chikolad's Burson Soloist and while it sounds cleaner I felt like something was missing I told him on the spot and now that I have the Schiit Lyr, I feel like I am not missing anything and plenty of low frquency authority and I wouldn't call it lacking in any direction whatsoever. I am still trying to think if I should go for a better amp like the taurus mk2 or the gs-x mk2 or schiit ragnarok but so far I am certainly happy with the lyr.

I thought that where the burson shined was the detail.  It has among all the amps I have ever heard one of the most detailed sounds.  That being said I also though that is was analytcal and boring as well.  I have also listed to the lcd3's with the lyr and thought it to be a big lacking so I think that if you listed to the 3's with something like a gs-x mk2 or ragnorok or something else along those lines that you will be hear a bit more differance. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #2,604 of 6,385

Congrats on pulling the trigger on the Vega!
Now for the record, let it be stated that you heard it coming out of a Modi, with the low performance stock interconnect that comes with the Soloist, the soloist might not have been fully broken in at the time, and your comparison to the Lyr was done from memory with more than a couple of weeks in between :) I'm not saying that you don't know what you heard, but all those things should be factored in.

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #2,605 of 6,385

Congrats on pulling the trigger on the Vega!
Now for the record, let it be stated that you heard it coming out of a Modi, with the low performance stock interconnect that comes with the Soloist, the soloist might not have been fully broken in at the time, and your comparison to the Lyr was done from memory with more than a couple of weeks in between :) I'm not saying that you don't know what you heard, but all those things should be factored in.

We're gonna organize with Ofer a headphones meet, I'll bring my equipment (Including the Lyr/Vega) you should also come, but since I won't have the vega for about 2-3 weeks so we'll have to wait a bit... But when that happens we could see if Soloist really is worth its price :)

Regarding the Soloist on Modi, I didn't say that I didn't completely like the Soloist, I felt like it did give me detail, certainly, and it wasn't as harsh on treble as other silly amps (*cough* Bryston BHA-1 *Cough*) regarding cables, I don't believe about them making too much of a difference, at least not as much as you're making it sound like it is (It wouldn't make a day and night difference)

A difference between tubes and SS is much bigger than cables, and AFAIK, 4W at 16 ohms and 6 Watt at 32 ohms is rather big, I'm feeling the authority on the Lyr very well :wink:

Anyhow, cheers, freaking foggy here atm :-/

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #2,606 of 6,385

We're gonna organize with Ofer a headphones meet, I'll bring my equipment (Including the Lyr/Vega) you should also come, but since I won't have the vega for about 2-3 weeks so we'll have to wait a bit... But when that happens we could see if Soloist really is worth its price :)

You're on!

Regarding the Soloist on Modi, I didn't say that I didn't completely like the Soloist, I felt like it did give me detail, certainly, and it wasn't as harsh on treble as other silly amps (*cough* Bryston BHA-1 *Cough*) regarding cables, I don't believe about them making too much of a difference, at least not as much as you're making it sound like it is (It wouldn't make a day and night difference)

I didn't claim it was a day and night difference, but a difference nonetheless which surprised even myself.

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #2,607 of 6,385

Like once a year for me. Because the wood never actually seems dry to me. 

I don't believe the wood oil is needed to prevent cracking. Cracking is due to stress and fractures right the way through the wood. The oil is superficial and is primarily there to ensure the surface wood stays in good condition from an aesthetic perspective. It also can help to bring out grain. But as the wood is lightly lacquered anyway, I am not sure how well the oil even penetrates into the wood.....

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #2,608 of 6,385
Been wanting to try the LCD-3 and get a solid desktop rig despite owning the amazing Westone ES5.

Luckily I found a seller on eBay selling a Mjolnir, LCD-3, and Toxic Cables' Venom. Just what I was looking for.

They arrived today! Haven't had a chance to listen for more than an hour, but so far, so good! Tried stock cable for 40 minutes but decided to skip straight to Toxic Cables' venom cable a few minutes ago. I didn't listen to stock long enough to judge, but it feels a little quicker.

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #2,609 of 6,385
Damn, these sound so good.

At first I noticed a "bigger" or more studio sound compared to Westone ES5 (I expected LCD-3 to blow them out of the water, but I am happy that they are not so different). I'm starting to notice the exceptional decay on the LCD-3 now, too.

Plus they're so comfy. The CIEMs melt away, but the LCD-3 do not have the clamping force I was a tad worried about, so that's cool!

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #2,610 of 6,385
Not entirely sure if this thread is the best place to share my thoughts and try to get some advice on system pairing, but figured I'd try. I'm at the end of my trial period with the Schiit gear tomorrow, so I'm wondering anyone who has come to similar findings has any recommended course of action for me.

Quick summary of me and my preconceived notions:
It's been a long time, but I used to play a woodwind and am actively learning guitar/piano (albeit poorly due to time constraints). I try to attend live music whenever possible (amped or unamped), and strive for transparency when possible and practical.
Musical tastes are all over the map, but primary listening is Female Vocalists, Metal, Hard Rock, Pop. Smattering of everything else: Classical, Opera, Bluegrass, Jazz, Movie Soundtracks, etc.

Fell in love with full-size planar magnetics the first time I heard them. Prefer them over electrostats (great air, but too thin with no bass) and dynamics (treble is generally too harsh and bass often isn't as tight). So the first time I got my hands on some Audeze gear, I was placing orders less than a week later.
I've always had solid state gear as tube amps/preamps were always too warm and "tubey" for me. I settled upon a Placette Passive Preamp (aside, I should see if they'll build me a volume control).
I have a few "audiophile cables", but generally believe in buying quality construction and good sound via impressions and enjoyment first, as opposed to engineering specs or endless ABX testing. Not trying to convince anyone, just trying to give you my background info.

After a lot of reading, I purchased the following two stacks blind, hoping both stacks would have enough synergy to drive my new LCD-3(for home) and LCD-XC(for work):
  1. Schiit Gungnir->Mjolnir
The Mjolnir is generally described as being on the edge of the impactful/aggressive side, bordering on lunacy with the wrong source. For example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle00Jesse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's hard for me to explain perfectly but I'll try. With the Schiit stack, the sound kind of projectiles into your ear. It doesn't cozy up, exchange pleasantries, and softly seep into your ears. It takes the music with amazing clarity and dynamics, and shoots it out of cannon into your skull. For instance I like to listen before I go to bed. This is not a good idea with the schiit, as they'll keep you up til 3am with adrenaline to spare. For me, I love this quality for 20-30 mins or so, but once you start changes songs/genres it starts to add up and becomes very fatiguing.

Some think Mjolnir has an ever so slight tilt to the bright side. Gungnir descriptions seem to be all over the place. I've seen warm to neutral to bright/harsh. Since the LCD-3s are generally considered to be "dark done right", I figured this would be OK since the LCD-3 is the "King of Darkness".
  1. Violectric V800->V200
The Violectric gear is generally described as being fairly neutral, with maybe a touch of warmth as their parent company comes from a recording/pro audio background. I was a bit worried it might be too dark for the LCD-3, but since I found the LCD-XC to be too bright with a Meridian Prime, a little "warmth" or "darkening" seemed like it would be OK for me.

At this point, let me add that I really wanted both of these setups to work well. what I know of Schiit and Lake People/Violectric makes me think both companies are doing things "the right way", prioritize function over form, sensible engineering, and no nonsense products.
I also want to add that I don't currently use any kind of track or album level matching (i.e. ReplayGain), so track to track level matching was done by ear/hand.

My experiences over more than a week:
Violectric Stack(V800->V200):
I'm very satisfied with the Violectric stack. Everything I tried was very engaging with gobs of clean controlled bass. Prat in spades that reminded me of the first time I heard the Linn Ikemi and the CD12. Instruments sounded like instruments, percussion was brilliant. Perhaps not the best treble extension with the LCD-3, but things sounded "right". 
I'd catch myself listening at a level that was a wee bit loud or soft after 5-10 seconds, so I'd try to manually reset it to try and keep subjectivity purely due to loudness to a minimum. The detents on the volume knob made adjustments pretty annoying, but it was still doable as the pot itself is continuous and I can use the volume knob on the V800 to do things in the digital domain as needed. My sources were all 16/44.1, so I should have ~4 bits to play with (assuming most 24-bit gear is only accurate to 20 bits)

Schiit Stack(Gungnir->Mjolnir):
Delivery was impactful, which can be fun. However, it often felt downright punishing. I found myself desperately grasphing at the volume control to reset levels quite a bit. I often found myself reaching for the volume knob because my ears didn't like what they heard. Despite the continuous travel of the knob, I had a hard time finding the right setting. The stack was at times engaging, and at times punishing. I had a hard time letting myself absorb the music.
Specific examples:
Horns on the Mambo Kings tracks were downright unlistenable. Recent pop recordings with questionable dynamic range like Paramore or Foo Fighters required a quick trigger finger on volume adjustments to make sure I didn't get my ears blown off (OK, exaggerating a little bit).

I'm nearing the end of my trial period with Schiit, so I figured I'd try a few last comparisons for an hour or two before I give up and and box up the Schiit gear and send it back.
V800->Mjolnir(Impressions over only 1-2 hours):
Spent about 2-3 hours with this last night and harshness/brightness/glare/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. Gone. What happened here? Is it the Gungnir that's the problem? Horns on the Mambo Kings track were downright unlistenable using Gungnir->Mjolnir, but now they sounded like horns again. Forceful, but reasonable. I guess it makes sense if the Gungnir and Mjolnir are both bright and the V800/V200 are both dark, but I didn't expect this kind of contrast. Even when I switched over to the XC it was listenable.

Gungnir->V200(Impressions over maybe 1 hr):
Impressions at this point are probably not useful since I'm so tired (way past my bedtime), but it seems bright, but listenable.

Different strokes for different folks with different ears. I get that not everyone is the same, but I'm surprised at how far into the unlistenable spectrum I found the Schiit stack considering it's consistently lauded pairing with Audeze. I know the LCD-2s aren't supposed to extend as far as the LCD-3, but there's a big gap between unlistenable and bright.

At this point I think I should return the Mjolnir/Gungnir, and just keep the Schiit Modi/Magni and ALO Pan Am for work use until I can find another AMP/DAC combo that I like. Maybe Auralic Taurs, HeadAmp GS-X mk2, or Violectric V281? Maybe try to find a used HeadRoom BUDA?

Sample music:
10,000 Maniacs - [MTV Unplugged #09] Like The Weather
Aimee Mann - [I'm With Stupid #10] That's Just What You Are
Fiona Apple - [Tidal #03] Shadowboxer
Fiona Apple - [When the Pawn #07] Fast As You Can
Tori Amos - [Little Earthquakes #01] Crucify
Tori Amos - [Little Earthquakes #03] Silent All These Years
Tori Amos - [Little Earthquakes #06] Happy Phantom
Stevie Nicks, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Rami Jaffee - [Sound City: Real To Reel #03] You Can't Fix This
Cardigans, The - [Gran Turismo #02] Erase/Rewind
Corrs, The - [In Blue #02] Give Me a Reason
DJ Tiësto - [Just Be #09] Just Be
Daft Punk - [Tron: Legacy Original Motion Picture Soundtrack #04] Recognizer
David Guetta - [Nothing but the Beat #13] Titanium (feat. Sia)
Aqua - [Aquarium #03] Barbie Girl
Katy Perry - [Teenage Dream #05] Peacock
Kylie Minogue - [Aphrodite #02] Get Outta My Way
Paramore - [Riot! #05] When It Rains
Paramore - [Riot! #06] Let the Flames Begin
Paramore - [Riot! #07] Miracle
Paramore - [Riot! #10] Fences
Paramore - [Brand New Eyes #01] Careful
Paramore - [Brand New Eyes #06] The Only Exception
Nirvana - [Nevermind #05] Lithium
Pearl Jam - [Ten #02] Even flow
Smashing Pumpkins - [Siamese Dream #01] Cherub Rock
Foo Fighters - [The Colour And The Shape #02] Monkey Wrench
Foo Fighters - [The Colour And The Shape #07] My Hero
Metallica - [Kill 'Em All #02] The Four Horsemen
Metallica - [Kill 'Em All #05] (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth
Metallica - [Ride The Lightning #03] For Whom The Bell Tolls
Metallica - [Master of Puppets #02] Master of Puppets
Metallica - [And Justice For All #04] One
University of Michigan Marching Band, The - [A Saturday Tradition #01] Entry Cadence
University of Michigan Marching Band, The - [A Saturday Tradition #03] The Victors
University of Michigan Marching Band, The - [A Saturday Tradition #05] Temptation
Stan Getz & João Gilberto - [Getz/Gilberto #01] The Girl From Ipanema
Stan Getz & João Gilberto - [Getz/Gilberto #02] Doralice
Tito Puente - [The Mambo Kings #05] Cuban Pete
Chen Xie Yang, Shanghai Symphony Orch., Shanghai National Orch., Shanghai Percussion Ensemble - [Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack #03] A Wedding Interruped
CoCo Lee, Yo-Yo Ma, J.Calandrelli, J.Hernandez, D.Warner, A.Pena, W.Hsieh, P.Ma - [Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack #15] A Love Before Time (Mandarin)
Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Itzhak Perlman - [John Williams Greatest Hits 1969-1999 CD2 #12] Far and Away - Theme
London Symphony Orchestra, London Voices - [John Williams Greatest Hits 1969-1999 CD2 #14] Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace - Duel Of The Fates
Mstislav Rostropovich - [J.S. Bach - Cello-Suiten - Mstislav Rostropovich CD1 #01] Suite Nr. 1 G-dur BWV 1007 - I: Prélude

Setup:
Source used was a PC running foobar2000 over USB/Optical on FLAC ripped directly from CDs.
All DAC/Amp connections were made with custom made balanced interconnects from proaudiola using Mogami 2549 and Neutrik XLRs.
Stock headphone cables.
I've had the V-stack for about 3 weeks and the Schiit stack for about 2 weeks and all electronics have ~72hrs of pink noise & 150+hrs of music driving real loads, so any burn-in issues should be taken care of.
Profile shows my headphone and full-size gear so you can get an idea of my general preferences.

EDITS:
Updated 04/23/2014 - to elaborate and be less rambly.
Updated 04/24/2014 - finished a sentence that abruptly ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back