Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #2,567 of 6,385
Indeed they did! The guys from the support team is already handling my case. Top notch support!

Nothing to worry except for the few days without your LCD3 when it make the trips to California. You might want to check with the local dealer you bought from for them to pick up the shipping cost to audeze.

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #2,569 of 6,385
Nope, not that I know of

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #2,570 of 6,385
Ok, then that's different in Germany. The manufacturer or retailer has to pay for shipping costs if it is a warranty thing.

What about HeadRoom? Do they pay for it if you bought it from them?

UPDATE: Solved. They don't pay for it.

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2,571 of 6,385

It's hard for me to explain perfectly but I'll try. With the Schiit stack, the sound kind of projectiles into your ear. It doesn't cozy up, exchange pleasantries, and softly seep into your ears. It takes the music with amazing clarity and dynamics, and shoots it out of cannon into your skull. For instance I like to listen before I go to bed. This is not a good idea with the schiit, as they'll keep you up til 3am with adrenaline to spare. For me, I love this quality for 20-30 mins or so, but once you start changes songs/genres it starts to add up and becomes very fatiguing.

Another thing to note is that I'm making these assumptions based on the Gungnir AND Mjolnir. I've heard various accounts that its the Gungnir that brings out the brightness/aggression of the MJ, not the MJ calling the shots. Not sure how much I believe that though..

Not being able to use the rig for more than 30 mins due to fatigue is a huge no-no for me :)
I see other people have a different experience with the MJ though, but since I don't have the option to audition it before buying, I won't take my chances. Plus I'm expecting the Soloist to have a great synergy with the LCDs, reading posts by Solude and others.
Kinda worried that my source wouldn't be up to the task though... Schiit Modi. Anyone compared it with other sources going into the LCDs?

Agree with above assessments. Except I can and do listen to the stack with my 3s for hours on end. I would like to audition a GS-X or similar with a PWD though as lately it does start to get a little tiresome for lack of a better word. Not irritating by any means but perhaps not as refined as it could be?

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #2,572 of 6,385
Hello everyone,  I know that Auralic thread is not getting too much attention, but I'm really readying on buying a DAC, the question is, I've so far almost totally pulled the trigger on the Auralic Vega, but I need your suggestion, as I'm an LCD-3 user, now also own the Schiit Lyr meanwhile for the tubiness (still waiting for the silly voskhod tubes to arrive, not to mention some silly RCA cables that apparently is not original)

Anyway, I can spend max $3.5k atm, I need the best DAC money can give me at this price range and priority for: DSD/DXD support + Detail + Analogue feeling

Need your answer ASAP! it depends on the loan I'm getting (Yeah, I don't like waiting for things) I need the complete answer literally ASAP!

Very interested in Auralic Vega vs cheaper variants, say, Matrix X-Sabre or Yulong DA8 or Lynx Hilo (I'm guessing it's supposed to support DSD although I haven't seen it mentioned on their website lately) or Benchmark DAC 2 or whatever.

Also, possible a combination of Auralic Taurus mk2 + Matrix X-Sabre or similar, what would you say about that?

Please, very important!

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #2,573 of 6,385
DSD + Detail + Analogue feeling. Not happening.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #2,574 of 6,385
  DSD + Detail + Analogue feeling. Not happening.

DSD is mostly a buzzword these days anyway, I'm not too excited about it myself.

I also think that what many people actually mean when they say "analogue feel" is that they want a warm smooth sound.

And the best way to get that is get tube amp, such as a woo audio amp powerful enough to drive orthos for instance.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #2,575 of 6,385
  Anyway, I can spend max $3.5k atm, I need the best DAC money can give me at this price range and priority for: DSD/DXD support + Detail + Analogue feeling

Need your answer ASAP! it depends on the loan I'm getting (Yeah, I don't like waiting for things) I need the complete answer literally ASAP!

Very interested in Auralic Vega vs cheaper variants, say, Matrix X-Sabre or Yulong DA8 or Lynx Hilo (I'm guessing it's supposed to support DSD although I haven't seen it mentioned on their website lately) or Benchmark DAC 2 or whatever.

Also, possible a combination of Auralic Taurus mk2 + Matrix X-Sabre or similar, what would you say about that?

Please, very important!

I wish I was in your situation right now. Unfortunately I have to wait a lot longer. I also have the LCD-3 and the Auralic Vega (and Taurus mkII) is at top of my DAC list.
I have spent considerable amount of time reading every review and (almost) every user comment on the Vega that I can find. I have heard nothing but remarkable things about it. I'm definitely very impressed with what I have read.

However, the Ayre Acoustic QB-9 DSD is also considered to be excellent though it only has a USB input so a little bit limiting compared to the Vega.

You may also want to take a look at Chord Hugo which is currently getting some very good feedback and (in UK) is about half the price of the Vega.

Good luck in deciding and please let us know what you go for (and later on your impressions on your purchase)

cheers,

Shaka

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #2,576 of 6,385

DSD is mostly a buzzword these days anyway, I'm not too excited about it myself.

I also think that what many people actually mean when they say "analogue feel" is that they want a warm smooth sound.

And the best way to get that is get tube amp, such as a woo audio amp powerful enough to drive orthos for instance.

From his previous postings it seems he's going with SS in the long run. Lyr isn't all that warm, so doesn't really fit your bill.

And if that's the route he's going then something like AMR DP777 might be where he wants to go or something around the 1704 chip. 
The problem is these run above his desired budget. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #2,577 of 6,385

I think I agree with that. To me analogue implies  natural, smooth, fluid, slightly warmish sound.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #2,578 of 6,385
  From his previous postings it seems he's going with SS in the long run. Lyr isn't all that warm, so doesn't really fit your bill.

And if that's the route he's going then something like AMR DP777 might be where he wants to go or something around the 1704 chip. 
The problem is these run above his desired budget. 

I definitely agree that not all tube amps sound "tubey", that's why I mentioned woo which has a reputation for being warmer and smoother than most.

Perhaps something with the wolfson chip could be good, or a metrum octave mk1 or metrum hex.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #2,579 of 6,385

I definitely agree that not all tube amps sound "tubey", that's why I mentioned woo which has a reputation for being warmer and smoother than most.

Perhaps something with the wolfson chip could be good, or a metrum octave mk1 or metrum hex.

I get what you're saying. I remember Vamp mentioning picking up a GS-X though. So no tubes on the amplification side.
The Octave or Hex could work, but again, he's wanting direct DSD support.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #2,580 of 6,385
  I get what you're saying. I remember Vamp mentioning picking up a GS-X though. So no tubes on the amplification side.
The Octave or Hex could work, but again, he's wanting direct DSD support.

Thanks.

Well, the way I see it DSD it just the latest industry buzzword. The real question is if it plays good music or not.

He could get a eastern electric minimax dac, or a maveric tube dac, for a fraction of the price of DSD and it just might sound better.

I'm not saying there's nothing good about DSD, but I think it's a bit early to jump on the bandwagon.

Just get something that does the job today and enjoy the music, that's how I look at it. Maybe in 5 years DSD is the standard but that's 5 years from now.

This is all IMHO and YMMV of course.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back