Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #1,471 of 6,388
  Anyone have a trick for loosening up this headband?

I use my dining room chairs top to bend out my Audeze cans.  It's a nice smooth surface that I just grab both ends and bend it with the top resting on the chair.  I'd love to find something else that is a little more curved to lose even more clamping force.   Be sure you are holding the headband and not the cups or blocks.

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,472 of 6,388

lol, i've seen that happen before, but it wouldn't work on here since it'd be too much work and loss of money/time to resell small stuff, and people who sell high value stuff here wouldn't trust that 30+ feedback unless they have some high value trades as well, have been here a while, are reputable, and have good post count. etc. most will also not ship without receiving some payment.

what if you just make a bunch of fake accounts and list a bunch of fake listings then "buy" the items with these accounts to get their ratings up, this has $0 cost and builds up your feedback score...

not giving any ideas to potential scammers...............

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #1,473 of 6,388
  what if you just make a bunch of fake accounts and list a bunch of fake listings then "buy" the items with these accounts to get their ratings up, this has $0 cost and builds up your feedback score...

not giving any ideas to potential scammers...............

Would probably set a red flag off and then the Currahammer will be strucketh.

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #1,475 of 6,388
Can anyone here actually say the LCD-3's kick HD800s ass? It's quite a bit more expensive and has a more neutral frequency response as well as darker sound.

Why are people getting rid of their LCD's?
angry_face.gif

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #1,476 of 6,388
  Can anyone here actually say the LCD-3's kick HD800s ass? It's quite a bit more expensive and has a more neutral frequency response as well as darker sound.

angry_face.gif

heavy, leak sound, dark, not having hd800 wide staging... many reasons....

At this price bracket I have yet to see really "poor" performing headphone.  Most likely it's about how well it pairs with your amp/dac and personal preferences determining if one likes it or now... sames goes for the HD800s, HE6s, TH900s, Abyss, Staxs.... or some who choose to own them all... some might even own them all and pair them with each with different amp/dac/cables/power for best synergy for them....  :D

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #1,477 of 6,388
They are completely different headphones with an utterly different build philosophy. Neither "kicks anyone's ass" because their approaches are so different. Both are superb with the HD800's featuring better imaging and a brighter sound more conducive to orchestral, instrumental music. The LCD3s are darker with superb bass extension that highlights jazz and rock. It's nice to own both.

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #1,478 of 6,388
  Can anyone here actually say the LCD-3's kick HD800s ass?

I do... all the time :p

The caveat is if you aren't willing or able to spend on the amp or source, don't bother.  The LCD-2 scales as well but tends to sound just fine out of budget gear that the LCD-3 would sound like a terrible waste of money on.

In my opinion a Burson Soloist level amp, W4S DAC-2 level source is a bare minimum to get value out of the LCD-3.  The same is true of the HD800 but the problem is no system can make me prefer the HD800 over the LCD-3.

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #1,479 of 6,388
In my opinion a Burson Soloist level amp, W4S DAC-2 level source is a bare minimum to get value out of the LCD-3.  The same is true of the HD800 but the problem is no system can make me prefer the HD800 over the LCD-3.

Besides your previous system when you were praising the HD800 
rolleyes.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #1,480 of 6,388
Without the LCD-3 in house :p  And what happened when the LCD-3 came back for a 'wonder if'?  Punted the HD800 to the curb.  In other news I used to really dig the HD650 and praised it too.  Doesn't mean I still like it better than anything else.  Time moves along and so does my opinion of gear in comparison to other gear.

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #1,481 of 6,388
Just went back over what I said in the HD800 thread.  Not sure where the impression I was praising the HD800 comes from.  I keep repeating it's only good on two amps, needs para eq... basically said they NEED this rig and these fixes to be usable.  Not sure how that's read as praise.  I enjoyed them on this rig but I also made it pretty clear I didn't on any other.

All that to say... on every system I've had I prefer the LCD-3 to the HD800.  Both had their problems on previous rigs but in all cases I preferred the LCD-3 faults to the HD800 faults.  I'd also add for all but this rig I preferred the LCD-2 to the HD800.  Which is not to say the LCD-3 is flawless but I do prefer it.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #1,482 of 6,388
Interesting comments here-like a decision has been made and no possible other rig could possibly change perceptions. I'd hate to be that closed-minded personally-the fun is in both the journey and the destination. I need to try and LCD-3 sometime, and see what the fuss is about. The problem for me personally, is that for every couple of people who claim a large jump from the 2.2s to the 3s, there are many more who claim said jump is negligible. If the latter is the case (for me anyway), I'd see no need nor desire to try the 3s. Reason being is I've heard the 2.2s on what is by many considered one of their best amp mates, the Bryston BHA-1. They sounded great to me on this rig. OTOH, the HD800s on this same exact setup, which is a much less than ideal amp for the Senns imo, sounded better than the LCD 2.2s in all areas. So, the LCD's "ceiling", if you will, didn't even reach the HD800's level on a less than ideal setup.

I'm willing to bet between the LCD 3 and HD800-the one that "kicks the others @$$", is really the one that is able to scale higher than the other with better equipment. OTOH, as Solude seems to be proving-subjective approval overrides all-and a heavy bias will only accentuate that.
ph34r.gif

I'll be sure to snag an LCD3 once my Leviathan arrives-and see which one seems to have the higher ceiling.

-Daniel

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #1,483 of 6,388

angry_face.gif

Who are 'people'? I would bet without analyzing that more people are buying LCD3s than selling.

I listened for a short time to the 800 at a Senn booth for about 10 minutes. I found them dry & non-engaging. I went back to the Audeze booth  listened for a few minutes and back to the 800 for just a minute to confirm my opinion. To be fair, the comfort factor without a doubt goes to the 800 big time.

My rig with LCD3's are the best sound I have ever had, speakers included. Now, at the same show I listened to a $100,000 system of which the speakers were like 70Gs of the total......THAT was the best sound I ever heard but would never purchase.

In the headphone arena, with the right pieces.......I bet the 800s would sound good, probably as good as the LCD3s.......neither one is kicking each other's ass all things being equal.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #1,484 of 6,388
  OTOH, as Solude seems to be proving-subjective approval overrides all-and a heavy bias will only accentuate that.
ph34r.gif

I'll be sure to snag an LCD3 once my Leviathan arrives-and see which one seems to have the higher ceiling.

Can you rewrite this in a way that I might have an idea as to what you are trying to say?

It's cute that you think the Leviathan is auto win before putting hands on it :p

If you are trying to say I have a bias towards Audeze you need to look for my name in the LCD-2 thread.  I was critical of them for a long long time on performance, design, comfort, price, qc...  In the LCD-3 thread I pegged the jump to LCD-3 as under 10% quality increase, I believe I called it a side grade.  Turns out it was likely my W4S DAC-2 and AMB B22 since the Metrum Octave, PS PWD2 and Apex Peak pulled them up while doing next to nothing for the LCD-2.  Later replaced the Peak with the Soloist and now GS-X mk2.

I'd still love to try an EC AC DHT, some Audio-GD gear, recent HiFiMAN orthos and custom IEMs that I could use on both home and portable rigs but frankly at this point I just can't really point to anything in the reprod of music that I would change and spending big money to listen to music with traffic noise in the background seems kind of pointless.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #1,485 of 6,388
I'll turn and sell the Leviathan within a week just like I did with the WA5-LE, if it can't even live up to the ZDSE.

Cute enough?

So-you're saying people who think there's only a negligible difference between the 2.2s & 3s just don't have their gear up to snuff? I can go with that.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back