Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,231 of 6,385
Quote:
Many users seem to praise the ECP L-2 as the "best" for the HD800, and fantastic with the LCD3. I have to admit the design is very very intelligent albeit it being unorthodox.

If you like transformers, yes.  The Bottlehead Mainline is similar.

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #1,232 of 6,385
What do you mean by transformers? Can you please explain more? You got me interested :)

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #1,233 of 6,385
Quote:

Never heard one.  Wasn't better than the WA22 or B22 or Soloist for me.  If you can tolerate the aggression of the Mjolnir, its also better.  If I wanted the LF sound I'd buy a GS-1 or Soloist.  Similar character but better in other places.  For me with both the LCD-3 and HD800 it goes Soloist then GS-X mk2.  Everything under is lacking, everything in between isn't as good as the Soloist, and above the GS-X mk2 that I have heard aren't anywhere near the same performance and those I haven't heard are so overpriced that it just doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money when the 009 is there.  Basically once you cross a certain price point, its kind of silly not to be looking at the 009 or 007 mk1.

oh ok.

i'm looking at a WA22 purchase still for LCD-3 and maybe my other headphones.

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #1,234 of 6,385
If you want a WA22... get a B22 cost you half as much, better in some areas and essentially stand ins for one another.  Should be able to buy one used for less than the part cost.

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #1,235 of 6,385
If cost is a consideration, hard to beat what audio-gd offers....

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #1,236 of 6,385
Quote:
What do you mean by transformers? Can you please explain more? You got me interested
smily_headphones1.gif

I literally mean transformers.  The ECP amps use transformers in place of discrete inputs and outputs.

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #1,238 of 6,385
Great comments GG.

1. Can't comment.
2. It depends on the point of reference from which it's being described. Coming from HD800s, sure it is darker, but there are darker phones. I do not believe anyone can tell you if it's dark or not since that depends on what your ears are used to ("neutral" is also subjective). However, to me, they sound pretty natural, nothing that tells me they are dark or bright.
3. They excel with many genres, but I prefer Audezes for their exceptional performance with jazz, vocals, piano, and rock.
4. This is entirely subjective since some have better ability to hear than others. I can hear differences among cables, but I can't tell you if they are actually improvements or not. My ears found some cables more favourable than others, but that's as far as I can go before kiddies come at me with torches. The only way you'll find an actual answer to this question is to try cables yourself. Do note that while many kiddies say it's all placebo if you do hear something, remember that if it works for your brain, it is working**.

** If a sugar pill cured a headache due to placebo, you cannot say the headache was not cured. It was cured. Don't be an idiot.

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #1,240 of 6,385
Quote:
If you want a WA22... get a B22 cost you half as much, better in some areas and essentially stand ins for one another.  Should be able to buy one used for less than the part cost.

with WA22 i was hoping to use more neutral and faster tubes for LCD-3, but be able to roll smoother/warmer tubes for my other headphones.

the goal is for the WA22 to be able to drive all my headphones as well as WA6-SE + WA2 separately. 

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #1,241 of 6,385
WA22 doesn't do fast :wink:  With the tube set I had, think it was somewhere in the $600 range, it was a rich man's yet lower performing... B22.  Great amp just poor value given you're in the $2500 range after tubes.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #1,242 of 6,385
For what you want... Apex Peak.  Drastically different when you swap from say a Sylvania Bad Boy to 6SN7W/A.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #1,244 of 6,385
Quote:
WA22 doesn't do fast :wink:  With the tube set I had, think it was somewhere in the $600 range, it was a rich man's yet lower performing... B22.  Great amp just poor value given you're in the $2500 range after tubes.

even with the mighty 596 or metal mullard GZ34 + 7236 and some kick ass 6F8G's?

hows B22 to something like soloist? i've been considering soloist as a solid-state option, not sure how much better it would be with LCD-3 vs. my WA6-SE though. i think the WA6-SE is very good, but i wish it was slightly better in tonality, while maintaining that fast ss/like sound, and maybe improving in the soundstage, since the tubes needed for the LCD-3 to sound good on WA6-SE, could use a bit of soundstage improvement, just a little bit. its like 95% of what i want.

as of now i really like how the LCD-3 sounds, but i need something with even more synergy and maybe a little more musicality.

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #1,245 of 6,385
I like the Soloist better than both the balanced and single ended B22.  The Soloist is a lot like a better GS-1.  It's also one of only three amps I like with the HD800.  Other two being the Peak and GS-X mk2.  But if the WA22 sound is what you seek, B22.  Essentially the same but better stage placement and speed.  Both however are out of focus and compressed compared to the Soloist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back