Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #1,216 of 6,385
Quote:
Questions for potential user.

1. We are planning to use the LCD-3s with a Woo WA7, any comments on the sound quality of the pair?  is there an agreed upon "best" amp?

2. Im reading of "darkness" as a description of the headphones, darkness meaning less bright?

3. With music such as quartet, instrumental, jazz, vocals, (no rock) cello, piano, etc.  Do these phones warrant the price?

4. Anyone find improvements with wire upgrades?

Thanks so much!!

They are darker than the T1s (bright) or HD800s (kinda a bit bright). Not sure how they pair with the WA7. But the WA6SE would be a fantastic option IMO. 

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #1,217 of 6,385
1. Can't comment.
2. It depends on the point of reference from which it's being described. Coming from HD800s, sure it is darker, but there are darker phones. I do not believe anyone can tell you if it's dark or not since that depends on what your ears are used to ("neutral" is also subjective). However, to me, they sound pretty natural, nothing that tells me they are dark or bright.
3. They excel with many genres, but I prefer Audezes for their exceptional performance with jazz, vocals, piano, and rock.
4. This is entirely subjective since some have better ability to hear than others. I can hear differences among cables, but I can't tell you if they are actually improvements or not. My ears found some cables more favourable than others, but that's as far as I can go before kiddies come at me with torches. The only way you'll find an actual answer to this question is to try cables yourself. Do note that while many kiddies say it's all placebo if you do hear something, remember that if it works for your brain, it is working**.

** If a sugar pill cured a headache due to placebo, you cannot say the headache was not cured. It was cured. Don't be an idiot.
Quote:
Questions for potential user.

1. We are planning to use the LCD-3s with a Woo WA7, any comments on the sound quality of the pair?  is there an agreed upon "best" amp?

2. Im reading of "darkness" as a description of the headphones, darkness meaning less bright?

3. With music such as quartet, instrumental, jazz, vocals, (no rock) cello, piano, etc.  Do these phones warrant the price?

Thanks so much!!

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #1,218 of 6,385
They are darker than the T1s (bright) or HD800s (kinda a bit bright). Not sure how they pair with the WA7. But the WA6SE would be a fantastic option IMO. 

+1

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #1,220 of 6,385
Tempted to pick up that used Liquid fire fs right now, but not sure if its as good with lcd-3 as people say it is with lcd-2

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #1,221 of 6,385
Unless they are selling the LF for under $1K you have better options for less money.

GS-X mk2 is pretty much the consensus for best for the LCD-3 and HD800.  In the WA7 range there is also the Burson Soloist and Schiit Mjolnir new, HeadAmp GS-1 and Bryston BHA-1 used.

Not dark.

Without rock genres the HD800 maybe a better choice.  It's shortcomings don't stand out in the genres listed.  Not to say people don't prefer the LCD-3 everywhere regardless but an HD800 imported from Germany will run you around $1250 to your door so it should be considered.

Yes.  The Q style is lighter and more flexible than stock.  Any changes in sound will depend on the system.  For example with the LCD-2 I preferred the stock cable to the Moon Silver Dragon.  The stock was less grainy and rounder.  SD was slightly more extended but grainy so... stock.  Love the Q though.

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #1,224 of 6,385
Quote:
Might not be a huge imrovement over wa6se?

Never heard one.  Wasn't better than the WA22 or B22 or Soloist for me.  If you can tolerate the aggression of the Mjolnir, its also better.  If I wanted the LF sound I'd buy a GS-1 or Soloist.  Similar character but better in other places.  For me with both the LCD-3 and HD800 it goes Soloist then GS-X mk2.  Everything under is lacking, everything in between isn't as good as the Soloist, and above the GS-X mk2 that I have heard aren't anywhere near the same performance and those I haven't heard are so overpriced that it just doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money when the 009 is there.  Basically once you cross a certain price point, its kind of silly not to be looking at the 009 or 007 mk1.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #1,225 of 6,385
Is the soloist enough wattage at 1 watt? Or would the LCD-3 benefit from more power. The WA7 is also 1 watt I believe. Burson makes a more powerful 4watt amp I believe......is there a typical burson sonic signature?

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #1,228 of 6,385
Audeze cans needing mega power is over blown.  Fact is both cans use less than 1mW to reach 90dB average listening.  I listen at 80dB, which works out to about 0.08mW using the LCD-3 actual sensitivity.  All that to say ya, 1000.00mW is more than enough :wink:

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,229 of 6,385
Quote:
Unless they are selling the LF for under $1K you have better options for less money.

GS-X mk2 is pretty much the consensus for best for the LCD-3 and HD800.  In the WA7 range there is also the Burson Soloist and Schiit Mjolnir new, HeadAmp GS-1 and Bryston BHA-1 used.

Many users seem to praise the ECP L-2 as the "best" for the HD800, and fantastic with the LCD3. I have to admit the design is very very intelligent albeit it being unorthodox.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back