Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jun 14, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #6,137 of 6,385
The prices on Audeze cans in Europe have gone up dramatically. When I bought my 3F I paid around 1600 euros, I got a special deal. The going rate was 2000. I have seen them for 2300-2500 euros in the last year.

Jun 14, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #6,138 of 6,385
I also had a feliks echo mk1 otl amp a while back and that was fantastic value.
As a former Echo mk I owner, I agree.

Fantastic amp for the money, and not horribly expensive to tube roll with it. It tends to add too much bass to low-impedance cans though (LCD-XC, Stellia) to my taste in the long run. As a side note, same challenge arises with the Woo Audio WA2…

But the Violectric V200 (and V280, I’d wager) does great with the lower-impedance headphones!
do prefer tube amps in general though don’t want to wait for them to warm up. Solid state just don’t sound as good in general (subjective opinion).
Solution if budget allows: Have a Violectric as your “first 5-10 minute” amp (and for low-impedance cans), then switch to your warmed-up tubes! 😁

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #6,140 of 6,385
Hi guys,
I was wondering about the sonic differences between the 2 Prefazor and the 3 Prefazor - I'm sure it has been answered before but it's a long thread... am I correct in assuming that 3's mids are more forward and treble is more present?
I have a LCD-2 pre-fazor and had LCD-3 pre-fazor. The 3 had more presence in the highs, a tiny bit wider soundstage (if I recall correctly) and even creamier mids. The 2 had a way more linear bass, which is the main reason I sold the 3 and kept the 2. My LCD-3 fazor have a linear bass similar to my 2.

Jun 18, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #6,141 of 6,385
Hi guys,
I was wondering about the sonic differences between the 2 Prefazor and the 3 Prefazor - I'm sure it has been answered before but it's a long thread... am I correct in assuming that 3's mids are more forward and treble is more present?
Adding a little bit more to the discussion:

LCD-2 rev. 1 pre-fazor (og leather pads): Darkest of the three. Treble is noticeably more recessed than the other two. Mids rival the LCD-3 for creamiest. Bass is more present than the other two. Probably the most romantic sounding of the three.

LCD-2 rev. 2 pre-fazor (og vegan pads): Still dark, but not as dark as the rev. 1. Treble actually has some presence here. Although the bass is not as present as the rev. 1 (really close though), it still more present than the LCD-3. The rev. 2 loses some (not all) of the romantic haze in the mids that typifies the rev. 1. To my ears, the goldilocks of the three in terms of tone.

LCD-3 pre-fazor (w/ 2021 pad revision): Clearly the most detailed of the three. While the bass loses some presence from the LCD-2's (both revs) (i.e., it sounds just a smidge less "huge"), the bass is more detailed. Treble is the most present out of the three, but there is this lower/mid-treble glare when it comes to pianos that's just plain annoying. This LCD-3 sounds great so long as the track isn't a solo piano piece. I would like to attribute the glare to the new pads (maybe due to the new pads being designed with fazors in mind?), but I cannot be sure. Because Audeze's stupid adhesive-ring pad mounting system precludes pad swapping (for the most part), I haven't tried any other pads after owning the LCD-3 for over a year. I have a NOS pair of brown vegan pads, but I'm torn between using them on my LCD-2 rev. 2 or LCD-3 because the black vegans are wearing out on the former and I wonder if any improvements can be had with the vegans over the 2021 pads on the latter.

As for why I went after the pre-fazors on the used market, the 2019 LCD-2 fazor's narrow-yet-tall soundstage was never my cup of tea.

KtVVFaI.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #6,143 of 6,385
Jul 10, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #6,145 of 6,385
The 3 had more presence in the highs, a tiny bit wider soundstage (if I recall correctly) and even creamier mids.
LCD-3 remain the top contender for creamy midrange in today's market.

Been years (can not really remember) has passed since I listened to LCD-3. Finally, yesterday I able to spent around an hour with it. Hell yeah, the midrange of 3 definitely was really special, even when compared directly to LCD-5.

Jul 12, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #6,147 of 6,385
2022_0712_22155700.jpg

Long story short, I had old LCD-2F Bamboo, but driver dead one channel while cosmetic housing still in pristine condition.

So now I revive it with LCD-3's soul, included the LCD-3F's driver, internal damping, grill, headband, and of course new pad. Couldn't be happier with this decision.

Not the last world of technicality, but dare I say at the very top being the most enjoyable one!

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #6,148 of 6,385

Long story short, I had old LCD-2F Bamboo, but driver dead one channel while cosmetic housing still in pristine condition.

So now I revive it with LCD-3's soul, included the LCD-3F's driver, internal damping, grill, headband, and of course new pad. Couldn't be happier with this decision.

Not the last world of technicality, but dare I say at the very top being the most enjoyable one!
Those look gorgeous!

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #6,149 of 6,385

How did you get a hold of LCD-3 drivers, if I may ask?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back