Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #6,167 of 6,385
So... how many of you are going to upgrade your LCD-3 to the LCD-5 via Audeze's $2000 off upgrade? What are your reasons FOR and AGAINST it?
No way. LCD-5 is unwearable and unbearable. At least for me. Clamping force like a vise, making it worse by pads formed like a chisel.
Not to mention the harsh sound. It was made for the other camp.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #6,168 of 6,385
No way. LCD-5 is unwearable and unbearable. At least for me. Clamping force like a vise, making it worse by pads formed like a chisel.
Not to mention the harsh sound. It was made for the other camp.
Grab a pair of HD 600s and listen to them for a week. After that and some jaw surgery, nothing will ever feel like it clamps again :D

Sep 19, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #6,169 of 6,385
Not me as mine are the pre fazor. But I do think it's a great deal. I wonder what Audeze will do with the trade in units.
Hopefully offer them as discounted refurbished units (he said hopefully)?

Sep 19, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #6,170 of 6,385
I do hope they will come out with an updated lcd-3 with the new lighter body style. It does seem like if you like the lcd-3 tuning, the lcd-5 won't be like it.

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #6,171 of 6,385
I also own the Meze Elites. And IMO the Elites are a better buy for a LCD-2/3 lover than the LCD-5.

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #6,172 of 6,385
I do hope they will come out with an updated lcd-3 with the new lighter body style. It does seem like if you like the lcd-3 tuning, the lcd-5 won't be like it.
I was really surprised when I listened to these at CanJam SoCal as far as comfort even though my 2022 set that just arrived are 622g. I'm getting the carbon fiber headband to get them down another 20g in weight. Even with their current weight they're comfortable. The 2018 model which weighed more wasn't comfortable for me at all.

I'm late to the LCD-3 party, but just got them because I liked them the best out of their lineup, largely for the bass, soundstage, and amazing creamy mids. It was one of the top few highlights of the show for me. I'm a big ZMF fan-boy so guess it makes sense that these would appeal to me more than the 4z and 5. I was worried maybe it was just the pairing with the Boudler 812 DAC/Amp I demoed them with and maybe they wouldn't be as impressive to me on my own (lesser by price anyway) equipment. While I still think they were better with the 812, I'm thrilled with how good they are, especially on the Pendant SE and surprisingly on the Glenn OTL with tubes installed which lower the impedence. They also had the TT2 and they were just not good on that and like a different headphone.

Had an issue with the original ones I got on HeadAmp and Justin there was amazing and quickly solved the problem and Audeze support was also pretty great. Pretty amazing how the latest version of a decade old headphone can still sound this good!

Oct 31, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #6,173 of 6,385
I am thinking of selling my LCD-3 Pre fazor with updated headband and ear pads to 2021. What is the current market value for the Pre fazor LCD-3?

Oct 31, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #6,174 of 6,385
I am thinking of selling my LCD-3 Pre fazor with updated headband and ear pads to 2021. What is the current market value for the Pre fazor LCD-3?

I don't know but I think many people who have fazors would be interested in picking up the pre-fazor model. Do you have the original parts? I would guess that some people would want the headphones "as original" to complete a collection, etc.

Oct 31, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #6,175 of 6,385
I don't know but I think many people who have fazors would be interested in picking up the pre-fazor model. Do you have the original parts? I would guess that some people would want the headphones "as original" to complete a collection, etc.
I do have the original headband and pads. The original pads are pretty much gone but the headband is in good condition.

Oct 31, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #6,176 of 6,385
I was really surprised when I listened to these at CanJam SoCal as far as comfort even though my 2022 set that just arrived are 622g. I'm getting the carbon fiber headband to get them down another 20g in weight. Even with their current weight they're comfortable. The 2018 model which weighed more wasn't comfortable for me at all.

I'm late to the LCD-3 party, but just got them because I liked them the best out of their lineup, largely for the bass, soundstage, and amazing creamy mids. It was one of the top few highlights of the show for me. I'm a big ZMF fan-boy so guess it makes sense that these would appeal to me more than the 4z and 5. I was worried maybe it was just the pairing with the Boudler 812 DAC/Amp I demoed them with and maybe they wouldn't be as impressive to me on my own (lesser by price anyway) equipment. While I still think they were better with the 812, I'm thrilled with how good they are, especially on the Pendant SE and surprisingly on the Glenn OTL with tubes installed which lower the impedence. They also had the TT2 and they were just not good on that and like a different headphone.

Had an issue with the original ones I got on HeadAmp and Justin there was amazing and quickly solved the problem and Audeze support was also pretty great. Pretty amazing how the latest version of a decade old headphone can still sound this good!

The LCD-3 is a great headphone.

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #6,177 of 6,385

To be honest, not much. The problem is that pre-fazors are from the era when Audeze had some QC issues (that era has ended) and if they break they will be converted to fazors. I could be wrong, but seeing as I often see 2017 and newer LCD-3s (like this one) going for under 1K I think you might be looking at less than $800.

Nov 1, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #6,178 of 6,385
I'm in the UK, looking for an LCD-3 but not sure if I should try and find a pre-fazor for sale. I haven't got enough posts to make an ad in the classified but open to PMs! I want a particular one I saw which someone using which had brown headband but I can't tell if it's pre-fazor or not as it's hard to see from the image, fine with the new headband/pads but that's all I have to guess whether it's PF or F. Help would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #6,179 of 6,385
I'm in the UK, looking for an LCD-3 but not sure if I should try and find a pre-fazor for sale. I haven't got enough posts to make an ad in the classified but open to PMs! I want a particular one I saw which someone using which had brown headband but I can't tell if it's pre-fazor or not as it's hard to see from the image, fine with the new headband/pads but that's all I have to guess whether it's PF or F. Help would be appreciated :)
Haven't heard the pre fazor. But I have current LCD3, LCD4, LCDxc and LCDi3. All are outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back