Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #4,741 of 6,385
I'm also gonna say something I never say: I'm looking at cables. I don't have anywhere to improve with the amp/dac and headphones, so now I'm poking at cables. Also because I seriously do not trust Audeze cables in terms of how resilient they are. Any suggestions for one that's not, y'know, placebo expensive? Main criteria are balanced, decent looking, and sturdy.

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #4,742 of 6,385
I got that new amp.

7dl2qKWl.jpg

I know endgame gets bandied around a lot, but I honestly think this is it for me. Outside of this I'd have to start spending several thousand dollars for each individual component. Yeah, I would absolutely love an LCD-4 with some ultra burly amplifier, but that's pure pie-in-the-sky. I bought my Mustang GT. I got my Charger Hellcat. I don't need the Lamborghini.

These two pair unbelievably well, BTW. Dangerously well. I keep creeping the volume upwards because of how good it sounds.
is the 400 worth it? I hear nothing but good things about it. is it on the warm side?

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #4,743 of 6,385
is the 400 worth it? I hear nothing but good things about it. is it on the warm side?

I think it's absolutely worth it. It's warmer than the Deckard by a bit, but I wouldn't call it a "warm amp" overall, more flat with a kiss of warmth to it. Some reviewers are even calling it a bit "too neutral," which makes no sense to me, but IMO it pairs absolutely perfectly. Especially for a metalhead who likes it loud.

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #4,744 of 6,385
I got that new amp.

7dl2qKWl.jpg

I know endgame gets bandied around a lot, but I honestly think this is it for me. Outside of this I'd have to start spending several thousand dollars for each individual component. Yeah, I would absolutely love an LCD-4 with some ultra burly amplifier, but that's pure pie-in-the-sky. I bought my Mustang GT. I got my Charger Hellcat. I don't need the Lamborghini.

These two pair unbelievably well, BTW. Dangerously well. I keep creeping the volume upwards because of how good it sounds.

Looks awesome. I think I will also shoot for the same rig eventually. First the LCDs, then the 400i.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #4,745 of 6,385
I'm also gonna say something I never say: I'm looking at cables. I don't have anywhere to improve with the amp/dac and headphones, so now I'm poking at cables. Also because I seriously do not trust Audeze cables in terms of how resilient they are. Any suggestions for one that's not, y'know, placebo expensive? Main criteria are balanced, decent looking, and sturdy.

By “balanced” I presume you simply mean it’s terminated with an XLR connector? That doesn’t make it a balanced cable. There are only 2 conductor wires in each headphone connector, right?

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #4,746 of 6,385
By “balanced” I presume you simply mean it’s terminated with an XLR connector? That doesn’t make it a balanced cable. There are only 2 conductor wires in each headphone connector, right?
What I've got is the official Audeze balanced cable.

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #4,747 of 6,385
What I've got is the official Audeze balanced cable.

I'm confused then. The headphones themselves don't have "balanced" connectors at the ear cups, so how can the cable be "balanced"?

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #4,748 of 6,385
I'm confused then. The headphones themselves don't have "balanced" connectors at the ear cups, so how can the cable be "balanced"?
They have one + and one - wire for each channel. That's what you need for a balanced connection. SE has one signal wire / channel and a common ground.

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #4,749 of 6,385
They have one + and one - wire for each channel. That's what you need for a balanced connection. SE has one signal wire / channel and a common ground.

Oh. OK, thanks. I stand corrected (and informed!).

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #4,750 of 6,385
left chanel have + and - wire, right chanel have +and - wire......booth four wires, ideal for balanced conector XLR 4-pin,......you must have headphone amp with this conector, idealy dual mono construction inside, ...I have LCD-X and VIOLECTRIC HPA V281 headamp.......and all is cool...

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #4,751 of 6,385
Okay so, now that we've got that settled, anyone got a balanced suggestion or is the Audeze brand good enough to y'all?

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #4,752 of 6,385
Okay so, now that we've got that settled, anyone got a balanced suggestion or is the Audeze brand good enough to y'all?
I have the cable that came with my LCD-3s, and a cable I bought on Ebay for my LCD-2s for like $70 from Venus Audio to run XLR balanced, don't hear a difference, and not willing to spend some crazy price on a magic cable to find out, the damn headphones cost enough, lol.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #4,753 of 6,385
I have the cable that came with my LCD-3s, and a cable I bought on Ebay for my LCD-2s for like $65 to run XLR balanced, don't hear a difference, and not willing to spend some crazy price on a magic cable to find out, the damn headphones cost enough, lol.

Good to hear! I'll probably replace it because the thing is insanely long for a desk where the amp is within arm's reach.

Jan 9, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #4,754 of 6,385

I recently purchased a set of Cardas Clear and plugged them into my LCD-3 and it was like night and day, a total and obvious improvement that I wasn't expecting at all. OK these are probably not in your budget (I get them 25% off, only 450$), I just wanted to make the point that nice cables do make a big difference with the LCD-3. Oddly enough, I tried them on my LCD-XC and no big deal, not much different than stock Audeze cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back