Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #4,756 of 6,385
Jan 10, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #4,757 of 6,385
I found upgraded copper cables for my LCD-3 have slightly more refined treble and less fat bass (marginally), overall not much difference unless you're spending a decent amount.
Silver on the other hand tweaks it to have less body, more detail, tighter bass which is a far more noticeable.

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #4,758 of 6,385
I found upgraded copper cables for my LCD-3 have slightly more refined treble and less fat bass (marginally), overall not much difference unless you're spending a decent amount.
Silver on the other hand tweaks it to have less body, more detail, tighter bass which is a far more noticeable.

that's been what I figured. No real difference except when the actual material is changed. Not sure I'd want to lose the thick body of the 3. Maybe silver plated copper...

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #4,760 of 6,385
What is the sound differences?

To my ears, the X is more energetic in the high end, the 3 is a bit more "full." It's not a wide difference, but which headphone you like more can depend on personal preference. I also noticed that amping makes a difference. The 3 sounds more "complete" out of my CMA400i than it did out of the Deckard, while the X complemented with the Deckard perfectly.

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #4,761 of 6,385
Man, if I had $600 and nothing to do with it I'd be tempted, haha.

Can anyone explain how cable makers on eBay say they have "Cardas" or "Canare" parts? Like this claims to be a "Cardas cable" at less than half the price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Cardas-Balanced-Cable-for-Audeze-ZMF-Kennerton-4pin-XLR/172249470408
Probably has a Manufacturers account with Cardas Cable, buys in bulk, and doesn't make his cables as fancy looking as sellers like Moon Audio, etc. to keep prices down. I have 2 of the Canare Quad cables from him, nothing fancy and kinda stiff, but they work fine.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #4,762 of 6,385
Probably has a Manufacturers account with Cardas Cable, buys in bulk, and doesn't make his cables as fancy looking as sellers like Moon Audio, etc. to keep prices down. I have 2 of the Canare Quad cables from him, nothing fancy and kinda stiff, but they work fine.

I think I just don't totally understand what "Cardas" and "Canare" mean, I suppose. If the guts match and they sound the same, I might pick a cheap one up.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #4,763 of 6,385
I think I just don't totally understand what "Cardas" and "Canare" mean, I suppose. If the guts match and they sound the same, I might pick a cheap one up.[/QUOT

Cardas is a manufacturer of audio cables of all sorts, plus they sell bulk cable to other cable makers. http://www.cardas.com/cables.php
Pretty sure they refine their own copper for the cables, guess it's some of the best quality.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #4,764 of 6,385
Cardas is a manufacturer of audio cables of all sorts, plus they sell bulk cable to other cable makers. http://www.cardas.com/cables.php
Pretty sure they refine their own copper for the cables, guess it's some of the best quality.

Hm. Interesting. I'll keep looking around. A sub-$200 cable is definitely within my reach and it seems like there are a number of 'em out there. Or I'll just pull the trigger on a cheapie like https://www.ebay.com/itm/4FT-AUDEZE...ANCED-Cable-4pin-XLR-Made-in-USA/192319064191

Granted, I like this one just for the name: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corpse-Cab...ophile-Headphones-4-Pin-XLR-10ft/302516131812

I've never been a cable guy, but as I feel incredibly "end-gamey" at this point I kinda do want to just maximize every component.

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #4,765 of 6,385
I do agree that for the LCD-3, cables do make a big different. DIY my own balanced cable with Cardas 4x24 and noticed a huge improvement in bass response. Cardas is not cheap, parts alone costed me $200. What differentiates Cardas is the "litz" configuration they used to minimize skin effect (Canare/Mogami don't).

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #4,766 of 6,385
I do agree that for the LCD-3, cables do make a big different. DIY my own balanced cable with Cardas 4x24 and noticed a huge improvement in bass response. Cardas is not cheap, parts alone costed me $200. What differentiates Cardas is the "litz" configuration they used to minimize skin effect (Canare/Mogami don't).

Hmmm. Elaborate. You talking extension, quantity?

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #4,767 of 6,385
B8332618-03D6-4617-ADAE-09003410EC29.jpeg
What is the sound differences?

Here’s a FR graphic comparing my LCD-3 and a friend’s LCD-X, both manufactured in 2017. LCD-3 is the thin line, LCD-X is bold.

LCD-3 is lusher and warmer, but tonality is different. Has a bit more resolution and refinement, more bass and mid impact and creaminess. LCD-X is drier, a little more forward in mid highs, with a little more grain, and sounds leaner overall.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #4,768 of 6,385

Here’s a FR graphic comparing my LCD-3 and a friend’s LCD-X, both manufactured in 2017. LCD-3 is the thin line, LCD-X is bold.

LCD-3 is lusher and warmer, but tonality is different. Has a bit more resolution and refinement, more bass and mid impact and creaminess. LCD-X is drier, a little more forward in mid highs, with a little more grain, and sounds leaner overall.

Though my 3 is a bit older (it's the latest model but not that new), I can agree with this comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back