Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #4,776 of 6,385
282xx might have started from somewhere around November 2015?

Possibly, though if the 28222xx is a 2017 model I would imagine the 28213xx isn't from that far before. Either way I asked Audeze but they're busy with CES so I'll wait until Monday.

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #4,778 of 6,385
Found my card. Build date: 11/25/15. Not terribly concerned about age, TBH. They sound amazing, and I have no idea what actual "revision" happened later, so I'm happy as a clam.

I might get the carbon headband though.

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #4,779 of 6,385
Maybe you can buy my carbon fiber headband because I am seriously considering getting out of the LCD-3 business. Back when my drivers were failing once a year, it sort of took the sting out, that they were replaced under warranty. Now the sting is here, my LCD-3 is no longer under warranty, last I heard drivers were like $600 to replace, plus the wood is cracked. I really don't know how much it will cost because I can't get Audeze to reply to my emails.

Anyway it may be time to stop throwing good money after bad, and apply those hundreds of dollars towards a good pair of dynamic drivers that will last me for years. The headphones industry has come a long way since the LCD-3 was introduced, a lot of that is a response to the success of the LCD-3 itself. Still, I own several Audeze headphones, but I consider them all to be ticking time bombs whose failure is only a matter of time.

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #4,780 of 6,385
Maybe you can buy my carbon fiber headband because I am seriously considering getting out of the LCD-3 business. Back when my drivers were failing once a year, it sort of took the sting out, that they were replaced under warranty. Now the sting is here, my LCD-3 is no longer under warranty, last I heard drivers were like $600 to replace, plus the wood is cracked. I really don't know how much it will cost because I can't get Audeze to reply to my emails.

Anyway it may be time to stop throwing good money after bad, and apply those hundreds of dollars towards a good pair of dynamic drivers that will last me for years. The headphones industry has come a long way since the LCD-3 was introduced, a lot of that is a response to the success of the LCD-3 itself. Still, I own several Audeze headphones, but I consider them all to be ticking time bombs whose failure is only a matter of time.

Think it over, shoot me a PM if you really wanna do it.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #4,781 of 6,385
I'll tell ya what's wild. The freq chart is so similar to the LCD-X, yet the X sounds more energetic and less "lush." No idea how.

LCD3.png LCDX.png

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #4,782 of 6,385
I'll tell ya what's wild. The freq chart is so similar to the LCD-X, yet the X sounds more energetic and less "lush." No idea how.

That’s what I said in a post earlier, even with the pic comparing. Different drivers and other things produces different sounds.

Your LCD-3 graphic is for the new 2016 driver revision, so you should be fine.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #4,783 of 6,385
That’s what I said in a post earlier, even with the pic comparing. Different drivers and other things produces different sounds.

Your LCD-3 graphic is for the new 2016 driver revision, so you should be fine.

Really? How can you tell? Build date is from the end of 2015, I was definitely wondering if there was a revision just after mine was made.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #4,784 of 6,385
Because Audeze usually starts new revisions in November or December. So 2016 revision is actually from 11/15.

Same with Fazor, they say it started in 2014, but November 2013 they were already making.

But I say for sure based on the graphic, the 2016 got back the low end extension. 2014 and 2015 had a bad rolloff in the lows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back