Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #4,726 of 6,385
Power is inversely proportional to resistance, LCD-X is 21 ohms and LCD-3 is 115 ohms. LCD-3 resistance is higher because it reduces moving mass by using smaller wires with higher resistance. Therefore with equal efficiency, you will need about 5x more amplifier voltage to get the same volume level from the LCD-3.

I get that part, but is it something I should be terribly concerned about? If amp A does 500mW at 100ohm and amp B does 750 at the same, does that matter to me?

Jan 6, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #4,728 of 6,385
I get that part, but is it something I should be terribly concerned about? If amp A does 500mW at 100ohm and amp B does 750 at the same, does that matter to me?

It depends. On planars, current is even more important than power. But generally, the higher the power, the higher the current. I feed mine with 0.8W and it’s enough.

Jan 6, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #4,729 of 6,385
It depends. On planars, current is even more important than power. But generally, the higher the power, the higher the current. I feed mine with 0.8W and it’s enough.

Thank ya. The Deckard does 750mW into the LCD-3, which seems like plenty. I just wasn't sure if it was feeding it enough. I'm trying to figure out what's what here. I noticed that, at least from memory, the CMA400i sounded fuller in the low end, but both are solid state and, by the numbers, the CMA is likely pushing less power.

Jan 7, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #4,730 of 6,385
Thank ya. The Deckard does 750mW into the LCD-3, which seems like plenty. I just wasn't sure if it was feeding it enough. I'm trying to figure out what's what here. I noticed that, at least from memory, the CMA400i sounded fuller in the low end, but both are solid state and, by the numbers, the CMA is likely pushing less power.

Probably depends on how loud you play it. You want to make sure you have lots of headroom, don't drive your amp too high because they get nonlinear at higher output. I use a 4W Soloist for my LCD-3. IMHO most amps sound best when operated at less than 25% gain. The CMA400i may have a warmer DAC than you're used to, the LCD-3 definitely has more low end than your LCD-X.

On another note my left driver just stopped working, that is the third time for these LCD-3. Right in the middle of Circa - And So On. I know you just got your LCD-X back after a long delay, you were pretty pissed. Fortunately I have my LCD-XC and EL-8C as backups. You've got to have backups if you own Audeze headphones.

Jan 7, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #4,731 of 6,385
Probably depends on how loud you play it. You want to make sure you have lots of headroom, don't drive your amp too high because they get nonlinear at higher output. I use a 4W Soloist for my LCD-3. IMHO most amps sound best when operated at less than 25% gain. The CMA400i may have a warmer DAC than you're used to, the LCD-3 definitely has more low end than your LCD-X.

On another note my left driver just stopped working, that is the third time for these LCD-3. Right in the middle of Circa - And So On. I know you just got your LCD-X back after a long delay, you were pretty pissed. Fortunately I have my LCD-XC and EL-8C as backups. You've got to have backups if you own Audeze headphones.

Yeah I was pretty steamed then. The thing is, financially, keeping multiple $1500+ headphones just ain't a smart idea, at least for me.

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #4,736 of 6,385
I got that new amp.

7dl2qKWl.jpg

I know endgame gets bandied around a lot, but I honestly think this is it for me. Outside of this I'd have to start spending several thousand dollars for each individual component. Yeah, I would absolutely love an LCD-4 with some ultra burly amplifier, but that's pure pie-in-the-sky. I bought my Mustang GT. I got my Charger Hellcat. I don't need the Lamborghini.

These two pair unbelievably well, BTW. Dangerously well. I keep creeping the volume upwards because of how good it sounds.

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #4,738 of 6,385
The Questyle is definitely powerful. I think it sounds better, a little less bright, though I've a feeling the Deckard can push more power. The volume knob didn't need to be up very high on "high gain" mode to get things way loud.

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #4,740 of 6,385
Cool....I also like that it can go balanced and be used as a pre-amp. No balanced option for the Deckard.

Considering they're about the same price, the Questyle is ridiculously potent. I was pretty well happy with the X/Deckard combo until I heard the 3 into the CMA400i and immediately went "well, this is what I need to get now."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back