Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #4,696 of 6,385
Just got my LCD 3’s. Love them!
Great dynamics, and the sound signature is just spot on for me.
The stock travel case is awesome, but a bit chunky for my taste. Does anyone know about a more discrete alternative? I’ve serched around, but can’t really find anything that will fit the big lcd 3’s.
Any inputs out there?

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #4,697 of 6,385
The stock travel case is awesome, but a bit chunky for my taste. Does anyone know about a more discrete alternative? I’ve serched around, but can’t really find anything that will fit the big lcd 3’s.
Any inputs out there?
I use cloth

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #4,698 of 6,385
Any inputs out there?

Try to find a used older Audeze case, they used to be smaller around 2014. Or buy the old case OEM, made by SKB model iCase 0907-6, but you have to cut the foam to fit the LCD-3.

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #4,699 of 6,385
I'm afraid you won't get much relief from the 2104 case, they are only a couple inches shorter and mostly as wide. Plus you will be losing that nice pocket underneath for headphone cables.

I have embraced the Pelican case as the natural residence of all my phones, here is one I made for my Sines:
SINE Case 1.jpg

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #4,700 of 6,385
I'm afraid you won't get much relief from the 2104 case, they are only a couple inches shorter and mostly as wide. Plus you will be losing that nice pocket underneath for headphone cables.

I have embraced the Pelican case as the natural residence of all my phones, here is one I made for my Sines:
thats awesome!!!!!!! it looks like it was made for those. what did you use to cut out the foam??

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #4,702 of 6,385

Yes, but if anything, the old case is smaller.

As for Pelican, the 1300 fits the LCD series but they’re as big as the old Audeze cases (9x7x6 inches).

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #4,704 of 6,385
QUOTE="I g o r, post: 13876073, member: 347809"]Yes, but if anything, the old case is smaller.[/QUOTE]

You are right of course, here are the 2014 vs 2016 LCD cases
LCD Cases.jpg

2014 is on the right. Maybe you can find someone who doesn't use theirs anymore or will trade you straight up.

Besides losing the cable pocket, there is one other possible drawback to the 2014 case, it's not a "Storm" case like the 2016 one. Those latch on the side and supposedly meet more MIL-SPEC requirements and are more expensive of course. But they both seem pretty sturdy to me.

Static is not normal but you will occasionally hear some clicking sounds when you adjust the headphones similar to other planars.

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #4,705 of 6,385
I’ve been eyeing these and lcd4 for a while and can get a pair of lcd3 for 1100 new.. how can I tell if it’s the old or new model LCD3 or it doesn’t matter? Also, I hear a lot about how fragile they are, someone just stated the can see the glue coming loose... like why is glue being used on something this expensive?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #4,706 of 6,385
I’ve been eyeing these and lcd4 for a while and can get a pair of lcd3 for 1100 new.. how can I tell if it’s the old or new model LCD3 or it doesn’t matter? Also, I hear a lot about how fragile they are, someone just stated the can see the glue coming loose... like why is glue being used on something this expensive?

Whichever headphone you end up getting, I'd love to hear your thoughts on them vs the TH900s I see on your signature.

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #4,707 of 6,385

2014 and 2015 LCD-3 are notorious for driver failure. I wouldn’t buy. Get a 2016 or later, the drivers problems were solved and they sound better (low extension and other details).

Jan 6, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #4,708 of 6,385
Whichever headphone you end up getting, I'd love to hear your thoughts on them vs the TH900s I see on your signature.

I had them twice from Adorama for 1k but sent them back both times and not because they were bad, they were really good actually. Mids and base really good but something was missing up top...treble wasn’t where I needed it to be.

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #4,709 of 6,385
I had them twice from Adorama for 1k but sent them back both times and not because they were bad, they were really good actually. Mids and base really good but something was missing up top...treble wasn’t where I needed it to be.

You might be better off with LCD-X which have a lot more energy above 1 KHz. Personally I prefer the darker signature of the LCD-3 but hey everybody's different.

Jan 6, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #4,710 of 6,385
You might be better off with LCD-X which have a lot more energy above 1 KHz. Personally I prefer the darker signature of the LCD-3 but hey everybody's different.

How are your LCD-3 holding up? Do you see any glue coming off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back