Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #4,307 of 6,385
If we are only talking about grain, HD800 will have less than all Audeze I have heard. I have not heard the LCD-4. I do prefer the sound from LCD 3 regardless if it has a bit more grain.

Less grain HD800 < LCD-3F (2016) <LCD-3F (2014) More grain

IMO

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #4,308 of 6,385
You don't hear the same grain in the same places in the HD800 as the LCD-3?

My apologies for the confusion, I found the LCD-X to be grainier than the 3f.

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #4,309 of 6,385
Just got a used pair of LCD-3f's yesterday, my first full-size in a while and first Audeze since a LCD-2r1 I sold about 5 years ago. Definitely not as dark or intimate as that pair. Putting them on the first thing I noticed was how much the pads have changed (these being the brown leather), with them being super comfy but also compressing/losing most of that built-in angle. I'm planning on buying a new set of pads if I hold onto them, but I'm wondering if the black leather (the website indicates they are less-supple...), or maybe the microsuede, are better at holding that angled shape? Seems like finding the old LCD-2 pads isn't really possible anymore.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #4,310 of 6,385

Ahhhhh!

It doesn't get much better. Friday night.
Using Auralic Vega DAC, Woo WA22 with NOS tubes, LCD-3 and a new Chesky CD.
I haven't used the LCD-3 for months. Kinda missed it. Really enjoying tonight. This is such a great combo.

My LCD-3 is the classic non fazor version. Such a beaut mid-range.

Aug 12, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #4,311 of 6,385
  Just got a used pair of LCD-3f's yesterday, my first full-size in a while and first Audeze since a LCD-2r1 I sold about 5 years ago. Definitely not as dark or intimate as that pair. Putting them on the first thing I noticed was how much the pads have changed (these being the brown leather), with them being super comfy but also compressing/losing most of that built-in angle. I'm planning on buying a new set of pads if I hold onto them, but I'm wondering if the black leather (the website indicates they are less-supple...), or maybe the microsuede, are better at holding that angled shape? Seems like finding the old LCD-2 pads isn't really possible anymore.

The micro suede pads are actually a bit softer and less firm than the leather pads.

New, unused leather pads are firmer than old unused leather ones. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #4,313 of 6,385
Has anyone found an SET amp that pairs really well with the LCD-3? I'm planning on trying the Auralic Taurus Mk2 since it is supposed to be an excellent match but I was hoping to find an SET for this duty.

I've been enjoying my LCD3s on DNA Stratus. Be prepared to invest in tubes to determine what sounds best to you.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #4,316 of 6,385
I wish I could find a used Stratus.  Maybe the Auralic is a good choice for the meantime.

Had the Auralic and it was an excellent match for my 3f,m2016 Drivers, but ended up preferring the MicroZOTL 2 from Linear Tube Audio. Also, have the iFi iCan Pro in for review, I've been very pleseantly surprised at how great it sounds. I expected versatility, but not sonics at this level.

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #4,317 of 6,385
Aug 17, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #4,318 of 6,385
Hi Fellas, could anybody give me a brief and fair comparison betwwn PM-1s and LCD-3s?
I'm on the lookout for a nice pair of phones, but have no chance to audition. I also Bugged the
guys at ETHER thread to be honest. So please help...
atsmile.gif

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #4,320 of 6,385
I'm borrowing the Auralic amp now and it's a bit dry so far.

Auralic Taurus is neutral. If you want a warmer sound you are more likely going to get it from a DAC change rather than a amp.

Violectric V281 is slightly warm of neutral amp. Sounds fantastic with the LCD-3 also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back