Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Aug 18, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #4,323 of 6,385
Haven't heard the XC, but I own the LCD-3 and used to own the X. Among other things, I also listen to a lot of metal (the new Gojira album is legit) and hip-hop. For either genre, either headphone would work great because they're more similar than dissimilar. However, I greatly prefer the 3 as they have better bass extension than my X did, and the midrange is much more silky with vocals sounding natural. There was some weird upper mids/lower treble weirdness on my X that made voices sound nasal and "honky." 

Also, this could be due to the driver changes, but my old X wasn't nearly as revealing as my current 3 is, which has the new driver variation.

You're talking about 3F right? I recently had my LCD-Xs drivers swapped out for the 2016 ones because of that same upper mids/lower treble problem you described. I tried 2 different dacs(WA7's onboard and Mojo) and 2 different amps(WA7tp and WA22 with multiple tube swaps) to try and fix that weird spike but nothing worked and it totally takes me out of the music when it happens. I'm still burning in the new drivers on my Xs, but so far the bass slam is taken down a couple notches(no bueno) and the treble is very muffled in the 10khz and up region. No sparkle whatsoever. That upper mid/lower treble weirdness is gone but I feel like I fixed one problem and created two others. So frustrating.

Anyway, if my Xs don't sound marvelous after 100hrs or so of new driver burn in, I'm selling them and jumping ship to some 3Fs. I listen to mostly electronic music, some metal, and some rap so I crave that Audeze bass that my Xs used to provide before the driver swap. Will I be disappointed by the 3Fs? I'm using a WA22 and Mojo as dac.

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #4,324 of 6,385
You're talking about 3F right? I recently had my LCD-Xs drivers swapped out for the 2016 ones because of that same upper mids/lower treble problem you described. I tried 2 different dacs(WA7's onboard and Mojo) and 2 different amps(WA7tp and WA22 with multiple tube swaps) to try and fix that weird spike but nothing worked and it totally takes me out of the music when it happens. I'm still burning in the new drivers on my Xs, but so far the bass slam is taken down a couple notches(no bueno) and the treble is very muffled in the 10khz and up region. No sparkle whatsoever. That upper mid/lower treble weirdness is gone but I feel like I fixed one problem and created two others. So frustrating.

Anyway, if my Xs don't sound marvelous after 100hrs or so of new driver burn in, I'm selling them and jumping ship to some 3Fs. I listen to mostly electronic music, some metal, and some rap so I crave that Audeze bass that my Xs used to provide before the driver swap. Will I be disappointed by the 3Fs? I'm using a WA22 and Mojo as dac.

Yeah, mine were the newest 2016 version of the LCD-3F. I had a March build date, although I just sold them last week as I found that I almost never use headphones versus my speaker setup.

My particular 3F had the exact frequency tuning that I wanted, with the frequency graph showing no dip in the subbass. I thought they were the best/most perfect headphones I have heard, and fixed everything I disliked about the LCD-X except for the weight. They were musical and engaging in a way the X wasn't, while simultaneously being significantly more revealing, to the point where it remains my reference for detail retrieval.

I think the X and the 3 are definitely different flavors of the same family of headphones, but I found the 3 far superior in a way that surprised me.

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #4,325 of 6,385
Yeah, mine were the newest 2016 version of the LCD-3F. I had a March build date, although I just sold them last week as I found that I almost never use headphones versus my speaker setup.

My particular 3F had the exact frequency tuning that I wanted, with the frequency graph showing no dip in the subbass. I thought they were the best/most perfect headphones I have heard, and fixed everything I disliked about the LCD-X except for the weight. They were musical and engaging in a way the X wasn't, while simultaneously being significantly more revealing, to the point where it remains my reference for detail retrieval.

I think the X and the 3 are definitely different flavors of the same family of headphones, but I found the 3 far superior in a way that surprised me.

Interesting. I might have to go that route. My Xs now have weak sauce bass which was the main reason I purchased them.

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #4,326 of 6,385
I don’t know how it is with LCDX, but LCD3F sounded poor before 150 to 200 hours of playing. The treble was harsh, the sound muddy, congested and no real punch. I don’t remember it was any lack in bass quantity thou.  

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #4,327 of 6,385

Would you happen to have your Frequency chart still for these I would like to compare it to mine if you get a chance.

Aug 19, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #4,328 of 6,385
Somebody tell me the 2016 3f now has the bass prowess of the Xs and I'm pulling the trigger. Been waiting for this to happen. LCD-X bass with refined 3 mids and highs and fazor imaging?! Take my money and take it now.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #4,331 of 6,385
  Hi Fellas, could anybody give me a brief and fair comparison betwwn PM-1s and LCD-3s?
I'm on the lookout for a nice pair of phones, but have no chance to audition. I also Bugged the
guys at ETHER thread to be honest. So please help...
atsmile.gif

anyone please?

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #4,332 of 6,385

anyone please?

I've owned both. From memory, the PM-1 is very thick in tonality and is very warm and lush... it's downright gooey and thick. It's nice if you want a relaxing listening experience you can sink into, but the Oppo is not strong on technicalities or instrument placement. Soundstaging was interesting... it's almost like you're listening to music being created at the end of a hallway. IMO it was more on par with the LCD-2 at best (I'd still take the LCD-2 over it probably), and even then I thought it was a bit overpriced at the MSRP. Finally, comfort was a big issue for me with the PM-1. Earpads were too small and the headband gave me pretty bad hotspots on the top of my head, which is surprising considering they're much lighter than the Audezes. If you want the PM-1, save yourself some money and just get the PM-2 as it's basically the same headphone with slightly less luxurious materials.

The LCD-3 is a huge step up from the PM-1. Clarity and transient response are stunning, and it was by far the most revealing headphone I've owned while simultaneously being the smoothest and grain-free. It has a touch of lushness in the mids enough to make it engaging, but it's not the downright thick gooeyness that the Oppo features.The LCD-3 is in another class entirely, to be honest, with technicalities and tonality which far exceed anything the PM-1 is capable of.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #4,334 of 6,385
  thanks for the answer, really helpfull. however how does the comfort compare to LCD-3s?

LCD-3s are heavier but more comfortable for me, personally. No problems with headband hotspots, although getting a Lohb planar pad or the carbon fiber headband direct from Audeze is recommended. The pads are very large for my big ears and quite plush and comfortable.

The earpads on the PM-1 were a lot smaller in diameter and sat partially on top of my ears, which hurts after awhile. Headband also gave me hotspots. I didn't find it comfortable at all.

The LCD-3 is the clear winner for me despite being a lot heavier.

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #4,335 of 6,385

I've owned both. From memory, the PM-1 is very thick in tonality and is very warm and lush... it's downright gooey and thick. It's nice if you want a relaxing listening experience you can sink into, but the Oppo is not strong on technicalities or instrument placement. Soundstaging was interesting... it's almost like you're listening to music being created at the end of a hallway. IMO it was more on par with the LCD-2 at best (I'd still take the LCD-2 over it probably), and even then I thought it was a bit overpriced at the MSRP. Finally, comfort was a big issue for me with the PM-1. Earpads were too small and the headband gave me pretty bad hotspots on the top of my head, which is surprising considering they're much lighter than the Audezes. If you want the PM-1, save yourself some money and just get the PM-2 as it's basically the same headphone with slightly less luxurious materials.

The LCD-3 is a huge step up from the PM-1. Clarity and transient response are stunning, and it was by far the most revealing headphone I've owned while simultaneously being the smoothest and grain-free. It has a touch of lushness in the mids enough to make it engaging, but it's not the downright thick gooeyness that the Oppo features.The LCD-3 is in another class entirely, to be honest, with technicalities and tonality which far exceed anything the PM-1 is capable of.

I would second that.
I owned PM2 2 times in the past with PM1 pads, I always loved the look & feel of these Oppo. Sound wise they were good, clean but boring to my ears (like PM3 for instance). Today I have a LCD3 much better headphones ,much more enjoyable then Oppos.
About comfort wise PMs > Audeze
Last point, I had the chance to head Audio Zenith PMX2 based on PM2 and I liked what I heard very much but it costs 2 times more than PM2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back