Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #4,276 of 6,385
I have the 2016 LCD - 3 with the warm v200 and warm burson op amps + warm musical pcm17904 r2r DAC (audio gd sa1.32), combined with stock cable I feel it has way too much body.

Would a silver cable help much in tipping the balance?

Using my phone's DAC, the tonal balance is much more neutral, where the lower mids and mid bass no longer cover over the sub bass.

Jun 27, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #4,277 of 6,385
  I just traded my 2016 LCD-X for a 2016 LCD-3. I'm quite pleased with the midrange and bass presence. Really good compliment to the HD800 and L700, I prefer this over the LCD-X due to the X's treble being worse.

The LCD-X doesn't have a worse treble. It just extends higher. Which can be a good thing. More detail/air.
You just need the right DAC and Amp.

With the Vega DAC and tube amp the LCD-X treble is incredibly great. Better than the LCD-3. So the end result can be fantastic mid-range and great treble/air.

I have had both the LCD-X and LCD-3 for a long while now. Overall I have to give the edge to the LCD-X. However as stated it needs the right gear with it. LCD-3 is more forgiving.

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #4,278 of 6,385
  The stock cable on my LCD-3 seems to have a loose contact. 

I'm going to upgrade the cable.  Any suggestions?

Valvefan

These guys make great cables and their customer service can't be beaten.  I've bought 2 cables from them and couldn't be happier with build quality and sound.

http://plussoundaudio.com/

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #4,281 of 6,385

The LCD-X doesn't have a worse treble. It just extends higher. Which can be a good thing. More detail/air.
You just need the right DAC and Amp.

With the Vega DAC and tube amp the LCD-X treble is incredibly great. Better than the LCD-3. So the end result can be fantastic mid-range and great treble/air.

I have had both the LCD-X and LCD-3 for a long while now. Overall I have to give the edge to the LCD-X. However as stated it needs the right gear with it. LCD-3 is more forgiving.

Sorry I should say worse treble in comparison to my L700 which I really like. I kept an Audeze for the bass and body and not for treble. I very much like the LCD-3 with the gear I have now rather than the X so I'm happy with the change.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #4,282 of 6,385
I have a chance to get the original Schitt mjolnir (used of course)  for around 360 bucks. 

I've heard it goes well with the LCD3? 

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #4,283 of 6,385
I have a chance to get the original Schitt mjolnir (used of course)  for around 360 bucks. 

I've heard it goes well with the LCD3? 

While it's been a long time, I remember enjoying the Mjolner/LCD3 combo quite a bit. Plus, that is a fantastic price!

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #4,286 of 6,385
  I mostly listen to metal and occasionally a little rap. Should I be looking at the LCD 3's or the X or the XC? 

LCD-3 will be better.

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #4,287 of 6,385
  I mostly listen to metal and occasionally a little rap. Should I be looking at the LCD 3's or the X or the XC? 

Haven't heard the XC, but I own the LCD-3 and used to own the X. Among other things, I also listen to a lot of metal (the new Gojira album is legit) and hip-hop. For either genre, either headphone would work great because they're more similar than dissimilar. However, I greatly prefer the 3 as they have better bass extension than my X did, and the midrange is much more silky with vocals sounding natural. There was some weird upper mids/lower treble weirdness on my X that made voices sound nasal and "honky." 

Also, this could be due to the driver changes, but my old X wasn't nearly as revealing as my current 3 is, which has the new driver variation.

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #4,288 of 6,385

LCD-3 will be better.

Haven't heard the XC, but I own the LCD-3 and used to own the X. Among other things, I also listen to a lot of metal (the new Gojira album is legit) and hip-hop. For either genre, either headphone would work great because they're more similar than dissimilar. However, I greatly prefer the 3 as they have better bass extension than my X did, and the midrange is much more silky with vocals sounding natural. There was some weird upper mids/lower treble weirdness on my X that made voices sound nasal and "honky." 

Also, this could be due to the driver changes, but my old X wasn't nearly as revealing as my current 3 is, which has the new driver variation.

Thanks for the info very much appreciated. The new Gojira album is awesome! 

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #4,290 of 6,385
Ended up buying a pair and a IFI PRO ICAN! Wallet is definitely empty Hopefully im satisfied when they arrive.

I'll be reviewing the Pro iCan next month, looking forward to comparing it to the Taurus Mk.2, MicrZOTL 2, LC, and the Heron 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back