Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #3,826 of 6,388
One more note for those who may not be aware, Audeze no longer supplies that bottle of wax and cloth for the wood. I guess that figured any wax can be used. Bummer.

When asked to the customer service they told me they changed the wood treatment:

"We've updated the curing procedure with UV so there no longer a need for the wood care kit. The finish is a lot more durable. You can gently wipe the wood with a soft cloth to clean it."

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #3,829 of 6,388
They changed the finish on the wood cups to one that doesn't require waxing. Happened about 6 months or so ago.

Thanks for that info all.My ear cups look like rosewood instead of that zebra wood. Did they change that too?

I don't recall Audeze mentioning a change in the wood, but yours do look different from the typical Zebrano LCD3s.

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #3,830 of 6,388
I don't recall Audeze mentioning a change in the wood, but yours do look different from the typical Zebrano LCD3s.

Zebra wood on the LCD-3's and Rosewood or Bamboo on the LCD-2's. 

Thing about wood is that it varies in grain and tone from tree to tree, sometimes quite a bit. Google "Zebra wood" and look at the images and you'll see the types of variations. 

Cheers 

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #3,831 of 6,388

Please report.

Sorry for the delay in posting, Have been awaiting my new ear pads to arrive from Audeze as you have to take the pads off to check. They arrived this morning so be swapping them out tonight. 

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #3,832 of 6,388

Sorry for the delay in posting, Have been awaiting my new ear pads to arrive from Audeze as you have to take the pads off to check. They arrived this morning so be swapping them out tonight. 

Cool. Take pics if you can.

What ear pads did you get? I liked the look of the new brown leather.

I am using the brown non leather version (I can't remember what they call it).

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #3,833 of 6,388

Cool. Take pics if you can.

What ear pads did you get? I liked the look of the new brown leather.

I am using the brown non leather version (I can't remember what they call it).

Im Currently using the Brown leather ones (my LCD3's are about 9 months old) and have just got a pair of the Micro suede ones (same as yours i think) just to see if there is any difference between the 2 in regards to sound and comfort. I believe Audeze has encounter a lot of feedback regarding the fazored models and the Leather pads as with my right earcup the fazor touched my ear.

They are shipping out some small foam spacer pads which slide inside the pads with out the need to remove the pads at all (will post some pictures) resolved the issue for me but also made the leather a bit more stiffer than the softness they normally have.

I figure once i take them off i can try both and see which ones i prefer the most and also check out the quality inside the cups. Will take lots of photos and post later for you guys =)

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #3,834 of 6,388
Very frustrated w/ Audeze's quality control right now.  Almost exactly 1yo LCD-3.  6mo ago, almost to the day, my left driver died.  Now, the left is dead again.  Again.  This is the same driver they replaced.  Is this normal?  I don't want to be without my favorite cans for 6 weeks while they do replacements every 6 months.  It seems ridiculous.  

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #3,836 of 6,388
seems driver failure is a common issue...and that for a pair that costs 2k usd.

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #3,837 of 6,388
Very frustrated w/ Audeze's quality control right now.  Almost exactly 1yo LCD-3.  6mo ago, almost to the day, my left driver died.  Now, the left is dead again.  Again.  This is the same driver they replaced.  Is this normal?  I don't want to be without my favorite cans for 6 weeks while they do replacements every 6 months.  It seems ridiculous.  

Is this the fazored LCD3? It seems that only the fazored drivers have been failing.

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #3,838 of 6,388
Yes, it is fazored.  I wonder if one or more of the moving parts in the transducer is impacting the fazor, wearing it down?  (Note:  Pure speculation, I'm a software engineer, not a headphone designer nor an expert in design).

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #3,839 of 6,388
Yes, it is fazored.  I wonder if one or more of the moving parts in the transducer is impacting the fazor, wearing it down?  (Note:  Pure speculation, I'm a software engineer, not a headphone designer nor an expert in design).

Possible. Hmm, it's weird that the LCD3Fs have the biggest fail rate. The LCDX are fazored and from the looks of it, doesn't fail as often.

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #3,840 of 6,388
Possible. Hmm, it's weird that the LCD3Fs have the biggest fail rate. The LCDX are fazored and from the looks of it, doesn't fail as often.

I think it's the unicorn hair they use in the LCD-3 drivers to get that magic sound in the mids...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back