Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #3,796 of 6,388
So you consider it on par with the HD-650/800's? From what I've heard, I have to strongly disagree. I hear a much more closed in soundstage on the 650's, but the micro detailing is there in globs. 800's are ditto with a different soundstage, not as enveloping, but more traditional "headphone" style presentation. Just completely more detailed sounding to me than the LCD's.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #3,797 of 6,388
Of course the HD800s soundstage is much bigger.  But on the 650 $%# NO.  The 650 sounds like a total mess.  The 600s are better IMO, however both don't compare the the LCD-3F.  

If you say your getting globs of micro details out the 650 the your impressions are questionable to me.  

I'm not sure what your setup is.  But the LCD-3F is a high end TOTL headphone, it shout be treated as such.  Because of it's warm presentation a traditional tube amp may not be the best to go with it.  A lean tube amp like the EC 445 is a great match for these headphones.  

I owned the LCD-3C and these are a level above in the clarity department, more air and a more spacious soundstage - compared to the older 3C.  

These headphones may not be for you.  But to say the 650s retrieve more detail is just not the case.  

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #3,798 of 6,388
  Of course the HD800s soundstage is much bigger.  But on the 650 $%# NO.  The 650 sounds like a total mess.  The 600s are better IMO, however both don't compare the the LCD-3F.  

If you say your getting globs of micro details out the 650 the your impressions are questionable to me.  

I'm not sure what your setup is.  But the LCD-3F is a high end TOTL headphone, it shout be treated as such.  Because of it's warm presentation a traditional tube amp may not be the best to go with it.  A lean tube amp like the EC 445 is a great match for these headphones.  

I owned the LCD-3C and these are a level above in the clarity department, more air and a more spacious soundstage - compared to the older 3C.  

These headphones may not be for you.  But to say the 650s retrieve more detail is just not the case.  

Not going to question what anyone else hears, but my LCD-3F's absolutely blow my HD-650's out of the water. Honestly have not listened to my Senns since getting the Audeze's. In fact the only reason I keep the 650's (which are a great HP) is as a backup in case my LCD's ever need repair. 

Cheers 

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #3,799 of 6,388
  Not going to question what anyone else hears, but my LCD-3F's absolutely blow my HD-650's out of the water. Honestly have not listened to my Senns since getting the Audeze's. In fact the only reason I keep the 650's (which are a great HP) is as a backup in case my LCD's ever need repair. 

Cheers 

I agree.  I owned the 600s and the 650s at the same time.  I sold the 650s first because the 600s had a clearer top end.  The 650 sound shelved up top - so did the LCD-3C.  

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #3,800 of 6,388
Saying that A sounds better, more detailed etc. than B seems pointless to me.
So much depends on the source material, the other units in the chain etc.
For example my current favourite cans are ED10. You can find comment on them in head-fi to the effect that they are useless, over bright, distort in the treble etc.
All that is true when I play them without tweeking the EQ,using solid state DAC and amp. Play them through equipment suited to them, playing high quality files, they sound heavenly.

Just the same with LCD3 that I also have but with the roles reversed.

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #3,801 of 6,388
Saying that A sounds better, more detailed etc. than B seems pointless to me.
So much depends on the source material, the other units in the chain etc.
For example my current favourite cans are ED10. You can find comment on them in head-fi to the effect that they are useless, over bright, distort in the treble etc.
All that is true when I play them without tweeking the EQ,using solid state DAC and amp. Play them through equipment suited to them, playing high quality files, they sound heavenly.

Just the same with LCD3 that I also have but with the roles reversed.

Very interesting comment indeed regarding the ED10. What equipment do you advise ??

About the LCD3, what do you mean by 'roles reversed' ?? That they better need SS amp or that they aren't too Classical oriented comparing to the ED10 ??

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #3,802 of 6,388
For Ed10 I am using AK240 as source playing hi-res files. I use Pro-ject RS DAC, preamp and head amp. All tubes.
Also have good results just using the AK240 connected to CI Audio head amp by AK Crystal cable and cutting the mid treble one notch on the AK eq.
Interestingly I have had the E10 for four years and the SQ is still changing, smoothing out and becoming softer at the top. I have read that the more recent E5 is still settling in after 18 months.

As for the Audeze by "roles reversed" I meant that it needs a bright DAC/amp combination to give it some treble life otherwise to my ears it sounds slightly muffled and dead: very accurate, forgiving of lesser quality files, which the E10 certainly is not, but too plush and lacking in punch. I usually listen to classical music.

All very subjective, but that is my humble opinion.

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #3,803 of 6,388
Owning myself the LCD-X, would you say that the LCD3F could bring me less or more for Classical Music ? On other words would it be worth buying the LCD3F ?? Or I should benefit more to buy the ED 10 in my case ?

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #3,806 of 6,388
For classical music I suggest you listen to the ED5 before you buy anything.
As to what will be best, as I tried to say before, IMO you cannot judge cans in isolation from the rest of the set up. Ed10 will not suit a lot of systems. The general opinion seems to be that apart from Ed5, which are closed cans, the 800HD is best suited for classical but I have never heard them.

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #3,807 of 6,388
  Do you not enjoy the x's with classical? I preferred them over the 800's.

LCD-X is very fine for Classical covering all the frequencies range from bass (not too heavy) until very high trebles. Very easy to drive. It hasn't the airiness of the HD800 which needs a warm amp to avoid the usual sibiliance noticed.
But preproman is right about the large scale openness of the HD800. On this point the LCD-X has a light dark veal which for me narrows a little the stage.

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #3,808 of 6,388
Out of my HP's I own or have owned  
LCD-3F best HP I have heard with Rap, Rock and Electronica
HD800 best for Classical and Acoustic, and it better be well recorded music or the HD800 will reveal every ugly detail
T1 a well rounded HP that does a variety of music well but not up to the level of the other 2 

HD650 and HE400 are really good mid fi HP's, but not the gravitas of the above 3

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #3,809 of 6,388
May be you'll find this useful. Story about failed LCD-3 modification attempt: http://www.head-fi.org/t/770678/instructive-and-sad-story-about-lcd-3-modification-attempt

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #3,810 of 6,388
May be you'll find this useful. Story about failed LCD-3 modification attempt: http://www.head-fi.org/t/770678/instructive-and-sad-story-about-lcd-3-modification-attempt

Really interesting read! Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back