Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #3,811 of 6,388
Hi,
I hope I wont interrupt the flow of the thread, but I would like to raise a kind of technical question regarding my LCDs.

I have an audio track (Preludium from 2014 reissue of album Theli by Therion) where there come audio distortions from the left headphone since around 2/3 of the track till the end.
I can think of two options: either there is something wrong with the track, or there is something wrong with the left headphone itself. To decide which hypothesis is true I decided to simply swap audio channels and viola! When the right headphone plays left channel, no audio distortions come out of it. So my conclusion is that I encountered a defect in the left headphone itself.

I thus decided to RMA LCD-3 with my local re-seller and loaned from him LCD-2 in return for not insisting that RMA process must be completed in 30 days (we are from Europe). But there comes another twist to the story: borrowed LCD-2 exhibits the same behavior. Left headphone cannot handle the track without distortions, but when I swap channels, right headphone again handles left channel without problems. And now, to top things off, the re-seller called me that after some testing on his audio setup, both the left and the right headphone produces audio distortions. So his conclusion is that there is something wrong with the audio track itself.

So at this point, if possible, I'd like to ask the community for a feedback.
Could either me or the re-seller be just "hearing" things?
Could the testing difference be attributed to that the re-seller's setup is single-ended, while mine is balanced?

And finally, would somebody be willing or interested to test the track on his or hers LCDs (or any other headphones for that matter)?
If so, below are links to the track in two lossless formats (both files are 10 MB; audio distortions are from 1:05 onward).
  1. FLAC: http://www.filedropper.com/01-preludium
  2. ALAC (in m4a container): http://www.filedropper.com/01-preludium_1

Thanks in advance,

Martin

P.S. At this point, I have no doubt that the left headphone would produce the audio distortion, but I am currently at a loss as to what to make of the fact that upon channel swap (either SW or by physical exchange of CNC connectors), right headphone plays the left channel just fine on my setup (and I even tried disconnecting the left headphone entirely so that I eventually don't project the distortion just to it as was a suspicion of the re-seller).

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #3,812 of 6,388
So at this point, if possible, I'd like to ask the community for a feedback.
Could either me or the re-seller be just "hearing" things?
Could the testing difference be attributed to that the re-seller's setup is single-ended, while mine is balanced?

It's the source file - it's clipping quite badly because it's hitting 0db. Open it up in Audacity and you'll see it clipping at 1:05 (right channel) and also 1:05 - 1:07 (left channel) and also 1:16 - 1:17 (left channel) and lots more.

If you need Audacity, here is a link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

You may also want to put a tiny "peak meter" into your player, if it's possible. I use Foobar and put it at the top, near the volume slider and it works nicely. Let's you easily see if your track has decent dynamic range, or if they used a volume limiter, or if it was ripped poorly and hits 0db. This track shows the clipping on the peak meter in Foobar as well. (So you don't actually need to use Audacity to tell that it has issues).

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #3,814 of 6,388
Interesting is one way to put it.

Pissed off would be another.
rolleyes.gif
Quality control looks shocking.

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #3,815 of 6,388

Pissed off would be another.
rolleyes.gif
Quality control looks shocking.

Going to check mine once i'm home tonight and see how the fazor's line up with the magnets. Really hope that guys were a one off

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #3,816 of 6,388

Going to check mine once i'm home tonight and see how the fazor's line up with the magnets. Really hope that guys were a one off

Please report.

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #3,817 of 6,388

It's the source file - it's clipping quite badly because it's hitting 0db. Open it up in Audacity and you'll see it clipping at 1:05 (right channel) and also 1:05 - 1:07 (left channel) and also 1:16 - 1:17 (left channel) and lots more.

If you need Audacity, here is a link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

You may also want to put a tiny "peak meter" into your player, if it's possible. I use Foobar and put it at the top, near the volume slider and it works nicely. Let's you easily see if your track has decent dynamic range, or if they used a volume limiter, or if it was ripped poorly and hits 0db. This track shows the clipping on the peak meter in Foobar as well. (So you don't actually need to use Audacity to tell that it has issues).

Hi Mikoss,
thank you for your help, much appreciated!

Martin

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #3,819 of 6,388
There's another song like that with "clipping effect" Lunatic Soul - The In-between Kingdom

It's horrible to listen to

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #3,820 of 6,388
Boston's 1st album on SACD is stunning until "Smokin'" 1/2 way thru the song it drops from high res to 128 bit or worse very weird and I had to research it to find out that was a universal glitch, really inexcusable on a very expensive digital disc.
I've lost audio from one side on the Rolling Stones "Beggars Banquet" the cut "Stray Cat Blues," high res as well sort of sucks since it is one of my favorites on that album

I catch audio oddities both good and bad with the higher end HP's

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #3,823 of 6,388
So I've been comparing my recently acquired LCD-3fs (build date 5-15-15) to my well broken in Hifiman HE-560s for the past several hours using Tidal HiFi streaming via my Centrance HiFi M8 portable amp.

I gotta tell ya, I am not sure which phone I like best. The LCD 3 is more efficient for sure but the Centrance has no trouble driving either phone. Level matching was a challenge.
As for the bass,I expected it to blow the Hifiman out of the water but it turns out that the Hifiman not only digs just as deep(if not deeper) but also has more air around the bass notes. The bass on the LCD is more rounded off and fuller with more mid bass presence. Big surprise there.

Next is the midrange. It's more intimate on the LCD 3s and a bit more forward. They both sound great in this area, but I do understand why people love ithat LCD midrange. It is
creamy for lack of another word.

Next is the treble. Hifiman all the way. More extended and open without being edgy or harsh. The LCDs treble sounds fine until you switch to the Hifiman.

So it goes without saying that the Hifiman comes across as being more neutral and accurate. The Audeze don't try to hide the fact that they have more of a house sound. That house
sound is nice and everything sounds larger but I don't think at this point in time that it's preferable to the more open ,neutral sound of the Hifiman. Both get your toes tapping and that of course matters most to me.

Finally the weight difference is huge. But much to my surprise, the extra weight of the LCDs doesn't bother me one bit. They fit snug and secure and I think this helps offset its weight.

There you have it, my 3 hour assessment comparing these two phones. I will update after more extended listening if anything changes.

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #3,825 of 6,388
One more note for those who may not be aware, Audeze no longer supplies that bottle of wax and cloth for the wood. I guess that figured any wax can be used. Bummer.

I believe they said it wasn't really needed anymore. Think they changed the finish somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back