Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #3,856 of 6,388
  Which pads did you go for?

I just had some new microfiber ones arrive and they look a lot slimmer than my leather ones Havent measured but will do, Its been a long road for me as i had an issue with one fazor touching my ear and not sitting straight. Tried to tell them it was a frame issue but they wanted to try pads first so (1 week waiting for foam spacers) still have the issue, then they sent me some new pads (another week waiting) still didn't fix the issue as the pads look a lot thinner. After a lot more emails they are finally sending me a new frame as its bent (the C shaped part that goes around the wooden cup). 

There is a guide on Audezes website for changing the pads. https://www.audeze.com/padschange Its really straight forward although some people have issues with the leather ripping off but another member suggested a smooth butter knife and slowly peel them off helps to reduce this.

Will post a photo comparison of the 2 pads for you guys tonight.

You wrote pads and I read spacers, my bad, as I was waiting for some from audeze as a solution to my right ear touching the fazor. My frames are perfectly aligned (was the first thing I checked, after I had your same issue with my previous lcd2) and the pads seems to have the same stiffness, still after a couple of hours I have my ear hurting. Now, those foam spacers I received may need to be inserted between the driver and the pad, but I was hoping for a more "elegant" solution, or at least some extra adhesive to replace the one I'm removing.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #3,857 of 6,388

Yes just stuck on with double sided tape. Apologies in my previous post for some reason it stuck "its" on to the end. Should be "https://www.audeze.com/padschange"

The microfiber are a lot more breathable than the leather. The leather to me are softer/creamier hence create more of a seal so the bass seems more present but having a tighter seal causes more heat to lock in but i'm living in a cold climate so for me its a bonus.

Cool. I think I will like the leather better.

I'm on Micro now. I find they still get hot and then you sweat into the pads. As the pads are ruff they are not easy to keep clean or hygienic. The leather will be a lot easier.

I shall order a few pairs of the brown leather.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #3,858 of 6,388
  You wrote pads and I read spacers, my bad, as I was waiting for some from audeze as a solution to my right ear touching the fazor. My frames are perfectly aligned (was the first thing I checked, after I had your same issue with my previous lcd2) and the pads seems to have the same stiffness, still after a couple of hours I have my ear hurting. Now, those foam spacers I received may need to be inserted between the driver and the pad, but I was hoping for a more "elegant" solution, or at least some extra adhesive to replace the one I'm removing.

Ahh apologies. No need to take the pads off for those foam spacers, Believe or not they actually sit between the leather and that mesh on the inside.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #3,859 of 6,388

Ahh apologies. No need to take the pads off for those foam spacers, Believe or not they actually sit between the leather and that mesh on the inside.

Oh, I see, I'll try when at home, are yours like those?

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #3,860 of 6,388
Those spacers are great, I have them in all three of my Audezes.

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #3,863 of 6,388

So this is the thickness comparison of the pads, i think my leather pads are from back when they were super fluffy.

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #3,864 of 6,388
I posted the following in the "How many times have your LCD3 been returned to Audeze for servicing (RMA)" thread,   though I think it is appropriate to post as well in the LCD3 threads as a tale of caution.

.................................................................................................................................................................

Sweetmeat ... I like your idea of a poll ... I assume it was to obtain a better perspective on how bad the LCD3 failure rate is ... or if it being put out of proportion.

For trying to gain some perspective, I commend you.

Though I do find one issue with your poll that if you could kindly update if possible ... the highest choice is 3 times or more ... well, I am on driver failure number 5 
in the last 2.5 years of being a LCD-3 owner.   The first 4 failures were with the LCD-3C, it was replaced with a LCD-3F which just failed, making a total of 5 failures.

My first LCD-3C experienced 4 driver failures (a mix of left and right) .... so the average ... Audeze Mean Time Between Failure (AMTBF) for drivers is 6.5 months.
Also had a SE cable failure ... which was replaced with a cable which was dead on arrival. So 2 faulty cables.
A total of 6 issues or incidents in 2 years for the LCD-3C.  
The wood box is also poor quality ... when I opened my LCD-3 for the very first time , the hinge on the wood box broke.
I should have taken that as an omen of things to come,  though I am not counting that as an incident, do not want to appear picky.

I also find the Quality Control of Audeze very poor when performing repairs.
Remember sending it in for a Right Driver failure .... and it came back with a loose Left XLR connector, about 5mm movement away from the Left earcup.
So Audeze fix the Right side of my HP ... and it comes back with damage to the Left side ???

In December 2014 this was replaced with a new LCD-3F (came from my dealer) which just tonight experienced a failed Left Driver ... only 6.5 months old
... so the 6.5 months Audeze Mean Time Between Failure is consistent.
So, tonight, at the 2.5 year mark ... I am on issue number 7, driver failure number 5 for being an LCD-3 owner

The first 4 driver failures were with the LCD-3C ... the latest driver failure is with the LCD-3F ... making a total of of 5 Driver failures while having a LCD-3.

I had hoped that the driver failure issues was mainly for the LCD-3C ... though apparently it is still evident with the LCD-3F.
Had hoped it was a manufacturing issue which was resolved in the first year (or two) ... though newer LCD-3F still experience a high failure rate, which is disgraceful.

I have never had any HP, Speaker, fail .... ever.
DAC's or AMPs ... never.
Some electronics are more than 10 years old and they never fail like Audeze ... actually tonight I had to switch back to AKG-701's that I purchased early 2005 (?).

I treat my gear with respect, listen at low to moderate volumes.
Do not use the LCD-3 for travel.
Used with appropriate sized powered amps ... 1 or 2 Watt.
This is a reference piece of equipment, so it is in my own best interest to treat it with respect, which I do ... still it continually breaks down.

It is not just the disappointment of a product that is so unreliable when it breaks down , it also the continued escalating costs of shipping & insurance for a product which as far as reliability goes is .... shameful.

My average uptime ... that is when I have the LCD-3 at home (when it is not travelling around the world continually being repaired) is just .... 80%.

I think I have a fairly high tolerance and even up to incident number 6 I was still considering getting an Audeze LCD-X as I find the Audeze sound quality simply outstanding.
Also really find Audeze extremely comfortable.

Though, this last incident (number 7), which is driver failure number 5 has me rethinking that thought of buying anymore Audeze (like the LCD-X) very strongly ... I have had enough.

While I do strongly love both the comfort & sound quality of the LCD-3 ...as far as Audeze reliability is concerned, the best word for it is ..... shameful.   

I am disgusted.

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #3,865 of 6,388
Fellow LCD3 lovers ... just a note on my post above ... I would just like to note that I absolutely love the sound of the LCD3 ... it has truly brought me joy.  
As far as sound quality goes .... I love it 
gs1000.gif

Also find the comfort of the LCD3 ... at least for me ... to be outstanding.

My issue with the LCD3 is it's reliability, specifically for driver failures.
I nearly wrote that it is poor .... still, I think shameful is the correct term.

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #3,866 of 6,388
Wow that is a downright rotten history. I would not be so patient if that happened to me.

I have the LCD-X and so far so good. But have heard a lot bad about the LCD-3. 

Have you insisted they make this right with you? This goes far beyond a series of bad luck.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #3,867 of 6,388
I put out my thoughts on the headphones and was told my opinion was questionable, so I'll save my comments on this as well. Trying to stay positive with regards to Audeze replacing drivers. Aren't you a big fan of the LCD's badas?

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #3,869 of 6,388
I put out my thoughts on the headphones and was told my opinion was questionable, so I'll save my comments on this as well. Trying to stay positive with regards to Audeze replacing drivers. Aren't you a big fan of the LCD's badas?

Your opinion is valuable. I think you have a lot of patience. I would have thrown away the product long ago. One thing I can not stand is a product that is not reliable.

So far I have had no issue what so ever.

Yes I am a fan of the LCD3.

That does not mean I'm not eying up other HP's
wink.gif
Very interested in the Ether. Plus with all these reliability issues been talked about it makes me want a second great set of HP's very quickly.

I would hate for my HP amplifiers and tubes to sit there not been used as my LCD3's are shipped half way around the world.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #3,870 of 6,388
  Wow that is a downright rotten history. I would not be so patient if that happened to me.

I have the LCD-X and so far so good. But have heard a lot bad about the LCD-3. 

Have you insisted they make this right with you? This goes far beyond a series of bad luck.

Thanks for acknowledging my rotten history ... I have never posted about failed Audeze LCD3 drivers in much detail ... but driver failure number 5 was the straw that broke the camels back.

The first 4 driver failures happened with the LCD-3C.

It was actually my HP dealer that provided me with a new LCD-3F  (not Audeze).

The Left Driver in the 6.5 month old LCD-3F failed last night ... making a total driver failure of 5 ... while being a LCD3 owner.

That is why I am coining a new acronym ... AMTBF ... Audeze Mean Time Between Failure ... as the standard LCD3 driver only appears to last 6.5 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back