Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #3,406 of 6,388
Sorry if this isn't the best thread to ask this question.  I looked through the LCD-3 / HD-800 amp thread and this thread and only found one mention on this thread which surprised me a little. I currently have the HD-800 running thought the HDVD-800 amp which I really enjoy.  Just picked up the LCD-3 and waiting for it to arrive. Anyone have any input as to how the LCD-3 will sound with the HDVD-800?  I was kind of hoping that the amp might provide acceptable performance for both  but thought I'd ask in the meantime.  In some respects I'd rather try to ultimately  end up with one amp that would work well with both even if that means selling the HDVD-800.  The HDVD-800 was more expensive than most of the amps I see mentioned as being a good fit for the LCD-3, not that cost always means as much as one would might think. Thanks

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #3,407 of 6,388
  Sorry if this isn't the best thread to ask this question.  I looked through the LCD-3 / HD-800 amp thread and this thread and only found one mention on this thread which surprised me a little. I currently have the HD-800 running thought the HDVD-800 amp which I really enjoy.  Just picked up the LCD-3 and waiting for it to arrive. Anyone have any input as to how the LCD-3 will sound with the HDVD-800?  I was kind of hoping that the amp might provide acceptable performance for both  but thought I'd ask in the meantime.  In some respects I'd rather try to ultimately  end up with one amp that would work well with both even if that means selling the HDVD-800.  The HDVD-800 was more expensive than most of the amps I see mentioned as being a good fit for the LCD-3, not that cost always means as much as one would might think. Thanks

You will be pleased with the hdvd800. I actually loved it with my lcd-3 when I tried it. It was just a short test tho but it really is great.

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #3,408 of 6,388
^

Yeah. I agree. Not that I have listened to the hdvd800. However LCD3's are suppose to work well on good SS amps.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #3,409 of 6,388
Anyone here use WA5 and LCD3f - Just wondering if you prefer the LCD3f from the high or low impedance switch? 

Does anyone use any of the woo amps or any other kind of amp on high impedance setting with the LCD3f? 

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #3,410 of 6,388
  Anyone here use WA5 and LCD3f - Just wondering if you prefer the LCD3f from the high or low impedance switch? 

Does anyone use any of the woo amps or any other kind of amp on high impedance setting with the LCD3f? 

I use low on my 6-SE (596/6FD7) and usually find it's quite loud by the time the volume is at 10am or so.  Tried the high impedance output but with little range of volume control and just a little higher noise floor, it wasn't an improvement.

No harm in trying though.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #3,411 of 6,388

I use low on my 6-SE (596/6FD7) and usually find it's quite loud by the time the volume is at 10am or so.  Tried the high impedance output but with little range of volume control and just a little higher noise floor, it wasn't an improvement.

No harm in trying though.

I noticed the slightly larger noise floor myself. I found that the High impedance setiing on my WA5 is louder than the low using the LCD3f. 

You are using the 3f and not the 3 right? 

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #3,412 of 6,388
  I noticed the slightly larger noise floor myself. I found that the High impedance setiing on my WA5 is louder than the low using the LCD3f. 

You are using the 3f and not the 3 right? 

Correct, the 3F, though I have tried it with both versions of the 3 with the same results with the F being a little more sensitive.  Neither the C nor the F benefited from the High impedance jack.

Edit - with the tubes I used.

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #3,413 of 6,388
I have a LCD3c not f. I use it with a WA22 and Oppo HA-1. I have both amps set on normal. I found the sound smoother on normal. Certainly don't need high gain for volume. On normal both have plenty of power.

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #3,414 of 6,388
Well, I just chose the LCD-3F over the LCD-X.  For me the LCD-3F has better mids where the X was lean in that area when compared.  The LCD-3Fs are not as bright up top like the LCD-X is.  

The LCD-3F seems to have a more even tone, where the X seems to have an emphasis on the bass and the treble.  The mids on the X don't seem inline with the rest of the FR compared to the 3F.  

Anyone heard both?  

I came away pretty certain I pick the right one based on what I like.  The X and the TH900 both have that sort of wired thing going on in the mids.  

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #3,415 of 6,388
  Well, I just chose the LCD-3F over the LCD-X.  For me the LCD-3F has better mids where the X was lean in that area when compared.  The LCD-3Fs are not as bright up top like the LCD-X is.  

The LCD-3F seems to have a more even tone, where the X seems to have an emphasis on the bass and the treble.  The mids on the X don't seem inline with the rest of the FR compared to the 3F.  

Anyone heard both?  

I came away pretty certain I pick the right one based on what I like.  The X and the TH900 both have that sort of wired thing going on in the mids.  

how do you feel about HD800 vs LCD3f? At the moment I still prefer HD800 but the LCD3f is really nice especially with older Rock and soul - no treble harshness whats so ever 

I'm finding the LCD3f to be much slower than the hd800 but will wait for burn in and I have some nice tubes coming for my WA5. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #3,416 of 6,388

The LCD-3F seems to have a more even tone, where the X seems to have an [COLOR=373A3E]emphasis on the bass and the treble.  The mids on the X don't seem inline with the rest of the FR compared to the 3F.  [/COLOR]

Anyone heard both?  

I heard both and the LCD-3F won by far. I actually even liked the LCD-3C more :)

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #3,417 of 6,388

Anyone heard both?  

Congrats to super nice Audeze sound - I know you going to like it!

LCD 3F have a more refined and musical presentation than both the LCD 3C and LCD X IMO.

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #3,418 of 6,388
  how do you feel about HD800 vs LCD3f? At the moment I still prefer HD800 but the LCD3f is really nice especially with older Rock and soul - no treble harshness whats so ever 

I'm finding the LCD3f to be much slower than the hd800 but will wait for burn in and I have some nice tubes coming for my WA5. 

I will compare in the next few days.  Be careful of tube selection with the LCDs, that might contribute to you finding them slow.  I find the 3F to be just as fast as the HD800 thus far.

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #3,419 of 6,388

Congrats to super nice Audeze sound - I know you going to like it!

LCD 3F have a more refined and musical presentation than both the LCD 3C and LCD X IMO.

WOW you own the 3C and the 3F?  I owned the 3C a while ago.  Sold it and kept the HD800 and the HE-6.  I like the 3F's better than the 3C thus far - they sound more open and have more separation.  

How do you find them different?

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #3,420 of 6,388
I heard both and the LCD-3F won by far. I actually even liked the LCD-3C more
smily_headphones1.gif

Say what??  You like the 3C more than the 3F?  Yeah I can see how you and others would like the 3C more.  To me they sound more intimate more romantic.  The 3F sound more open and spacious. I like the 3Fs more.  However, the 3Cs mids are to die for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back