Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #3,421 of 6,388

Say what??  You like the 3C more than the 3F?  Yeah I can see how you and others would like the 3C more.  To me they sound more intimate more romantic.  The 3F sound more open and spacious. I like the 3Fs more.  However, the 3Cs mids are to die for.

I listened to both and went for the 3C. Did a lot of hunting and got the best 3C I could. To me better bass, nicer mids and relaxed treble. Just the way I like it. Audeze are moving away from that signature fast. It is a pity.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #3,422 of 6,388

WOW you own the 3C and the 3F?  I owned the 3C a while ago.  Sold it and kept the HD800 and the HE-6.  I like the 3F's better than the 3C thus far - they sound more open and have more separation.  

How do you find them different?

The LCD 3F has more and better upper mids and lower treble (not as sweet and refined as a mod HE6 thou), it has an overall clearer sound that is more open and also airier. The LCD 3F is not as forgiving and bass/low mid tilted as the classic, so less but better bass. The C has creamer mids and is a bit more intimate. Lastly I find the F to be notably faster in all frequencies.

Before I got the F l oved the C, but now I never use the classic, so I have put them up for sell.

I have to ask that amp are you going to use to drive them and your HE 6 with? Seems like you sold out most of your gears.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3,423 of 6,388
Say what??  You like the 3C more than the 3F?  Yeah I can see how you and others would like the 3C more.  To me they sound more intimate more romantic.  The 3F sound more open and spacious. I like the 3Fs more.  However, the 3Cs mids are to die for.

No, sorry, what I was trying to say is that I liked the 3Cs better than the Xs. For me the difference between the 3C and the 3F is like the one between the 2s and the 3s. There is no going back. The 3Fs are more transparent, clear, detailed and open. They also have a better transient response and hit harder.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #3,424 of 6,388

The LCD 3F has more and better upper mids and lower treble (not as sweet and refined as a mod HE6 thou), it has an overall clearer sound that is more open and also airier. The LCD 3F is not as forgiving and bass/low mid tilted as the classic, so less but better bass. The C has creamer mids and is a bit more intimate. Lastly I find the F to be notably faster in all frequencies.

Before I got the F l oved the C, but now I never use the classic, so I have put them up for sell.

I have to ask that amp are you going to use to drive them and your HE 6 with? Seems like you sold out most of your gears.

I know this sounds crazy, but this damn Master 10 sounds really good with the HD800s now I'm finding it to sound really good with the 3F.  I was trying to sell it because I have the Pass Labs INT-150 coming in by the end of the week.  

I sold the EC 445.  To me that amp was to damn lean, I'm not going to keep buying tubes 4 at a time - to find the right ones, cost to damn much.  I tried EML mesh plates and the Sophia Globe.  Neither of them sound as full or as satisfying as the Master 10.  The EC 445 bass hit hard but it hit hard while being lean.  I didn't like that.  

I'll put the INT-150 side by side with the Master 10 and see what I get.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #3,425 of 6,388
How do you find the 3Fs vs the HE-6?

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #3,426 of 6,388

I know this sounds crazy, but this damn Master 10 sounds really good with the HD800s now I'm finding it to sound really good with the 3F.  I was trying to sell it because I have the Pass Labs INT-150 coming in by the end of the week.  

I sold the EC 445.  To me that amp was to damn lean, I'm not going to keep buying tubes 4 at a time - to find the right ones, cost to damn much.  I tried EML mesh plates and the Sophia Globe.  Neither of them sound as full or as satisfying as the Master 10.  The EC 445 bass hit hard but it hit hard while being lean.  I didn't like that.  

I'll put the INT-150 side by side with the Master 10 and see what I get.

Pass Labs INT-150 now we are talking 
beyersmile.png
Btw don’t you use any preamp for the Master 10?

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #3,427 of 6,388
How do you find the 3Fs vs the HE-6?

Both are very good. LCD 3F have to my ear and in my system a bit more body, is a bit clearer and is more reviling.

My mod HE6 is more refined and smoother in the (IMO) very important upper mids and lower treble, it also have a bit blacker background and better image.

I’m getting a pair of vegan pads for the LCD3F tomorrow - will see if it will put them on pair with the HE6’s more refined and smoother upper mids and treble. If it does it would be super great because it is its weakest point, in my system anyway.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #3,430 of 6,388
  Well, I just chose the LCD-3F over the LCD-X.  For me the LCD-3F has better mids where the X was lean in that area when compared.  The LCD-3Fs are not as bright up top like the LCD-X is.  

The LCD-3F seems to have a more even tone, where the X seems to have an emphasis on the bass and the treble.  The mids on the X don't seem inline with the rest of the FR compared to the 3F.  

Anyone heard both?  

I came away pretty certain I pick the right one based on what I like.  The X and the TH900 both have that sort of wired thing going on in the mids.  

I spent the last two weeks with both and I liked the X's better. However, I am an HD800 fan so the treble with the X was what attracted me vs the 3F's.

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #3,431 of 6,388
I will have upgraded tubes for the WA5 next week - gonna get some EML 300b's which are supposed to be nice with planars. I am also getting a nice solid state amp soon and will report back on both ventures with the lcd3f. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #3,432 of 6,388
  I spent the last two weeks with both and I liked the X's better. However, I am an HD800 fan so the treble with the X was what attracted me vs the 3F's.

This is why I went with the 3Fs.
biggrin.gif

I didn't want another HD800 I wanted a headphone of it's own merit.  The 3Fs is that.  The X IMO is a want to be HD800 but with a slight U shape sound and better bass.

Jan 20, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #3,433 of 6,388

Nope, both are integrated amps.  You must be thinking about the Mater 3

Of course it's integrated I don't know that I was thinking!

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #3,434 of 6,388

This is why I went with the 3Fs.
biggrin.gif

I didn't want another HD800 I wanted a headphone of it's own merit.  The 3Fs is that.  The X IMO is a want to be HD800 but with a slight U shape sound and better bass.

I can see why you would go 3F. I missed the upper sparkle too much...
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #3,435 of 6,388
  I can see why you would go 3F. I missed the upper sparkle too much...
biggrin.gif

thats the very reason that I had for going to an audeze headphone. The LCD3 is slightly underwhelming at the moment.............. im hoping that tube upgrades will make a difference but at the same time the hd800 doesn't need any of that - it simply sounds amazing regardless. 

I do find that the LCD3 is better for metal - but i dont listen to that much metal. 

I was hoping that the LCD3 would offer me more slam and bass and impact on older funk/soul records. It is more forgiving but isn't what I expected 
I'm hoping that its the amp (wa5 stock) and not the headphone. Will it change enough when those parts are seen to - who knows? I will try anyway
I think the LCD3f deserves a bit more effort on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back