Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #3,391 of 6,385
Frequency response is only sent to you by email if you ask for it by email too, sending your serial number.
Strange about the wood care bottle though.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #3,392 of 6,385
  Hey, does anyone know of any good headphone/speaker amps that go well with LCD-3 other than Schiit Ragnarok?
And yes I do mean it has to have both headphone and speaker outs...

I use the Mjolnir with my LCD-3 and I have nothing but praise. I've auditioned the 'Rok with my LCD-3 at a couple of meets and I still love my Mjo.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #3,393 of 6,385

I use the Mjolnir with my LCD-3 and I have nothing but praise. I've auditioned the 'Rok with my LCD-3 at a couple of meets and I still love my Mjo.

I've heard the Bryston BHA-1 amp sometime and some people claim that the Mjolnir is similar in sound to  BHA-1 only cheaper...
That's a scary purchase.

So you're saying that there isn't much improvement in Ragnarok over Mjolnir for LCD-3's?

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #3,394 of 6,385

I've heard the Bryston BHA-1 amp sometime and some people claim that the Mjolnir is similar in sound to  BHA-1 only cheaper...
That's a scary purchase.

So you're saying that there isn't much improvement in Ragnarok over Mjolnir for LCD-3's?

Very much interested in BHA-1/Mjolnir/Ragnarok comparisons for the LCD3(F) as well!

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #3,395 of 6,385
That's a scary purchase.

I don't feel qualified to say that the Rok is only a touch more resolving than the Mjo. I didn't get to A/B test in a quiet environment. I merely brought my LCD-3 to meets that had the Rok and listened that way.

What I do feel comfortable saying is that I don't plan to upgrade to the Rok anytime soon, if ever. I am going to buy a synergistic red fuse some day, but my system right now sounds damn good! Paired with the Yggy, the Rok may truly sing -- that is the only variable you may want to consider when picking your amp. I listened to the Rok paired with the USB gen 2 Gungnir.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #3,396 of 6,385
LCD-3's with Nordost Hemdall 2 cables on the new Cavalli Liquid Crimson amp. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #3,397 of 6,385
LCD-3F's and DR rating

These are the first cans that made very obvious to me the difference between low dynamic range and high dynamic range masters. For some reason I find it hard to listen to albums with a DR rating 7 and lower, and I will better enjoy ones with a DR rating of 9 and above. Also, in most cases I can immediately guess the approximate DR of a track I'm listening to. The thing is, with my previous cans, and with others I'm currently using, those differences were much less obvious and I had less of a problem listening to those modern loudness-wars-infected albums. Nowadays I will be quite picky about which press of an album to buy/listen to.

Can anyone explain why that is? Do you think it's a shortcoming of this headphone or is it a result of its strengths? Is what I'm hearing "the truth" or just an artifact?
I'm very interested in your opinions!

Cheers

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #3,398 of 6,385
  LCD-3F's and DR rating

These are the first cans that made very obvious to me the difference between low dynamic range and high dynamic range masters. For some reason I find it hard to listen to albums with a DR rating 7 and lower, and I will better enjoy ones with a DR rating of 9 and above. Also, in most cases I can immediately guess the approximate DR of a track I'm listening to. The thing is, with my previous cans, and with others I'm currently using, those differences were much less obvious and I had less of a problem listening to those modern loudness-wars-infected albums. Nowadays I will be quite picky about which press of an album to buy/listen to.

Can anyone explain why that is? Do you think it's a shortcoming of this headphone or is it a result of its strengths? Is what I'm hearing "the truth" or just an artifact?
I'm very interested in your opinions!

Cheers

The thing is that Dynamic Range is usually higher on very quiet tracks because there's a floor and a ceiling to the sound, without much chaos in between hence why tracks that are rated at DR10+ are mostly very quiet.

DR7-8 is very enjoyable for me still...

Directly to answer your question - You're not picky, you just have better dynamics in your newer setup. Try a better DAC than Schiit Modi you were using and you will find yourself even more picky and on the other hand more in love with the music.

Off-Topic: Chikolad, check out the HE-1000, I bet I'll be the first Israeli to own it :p Might have to sell the LCD-3's if they end up better.
Still no one is touching my Vega.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #3,399 of 6,385

The thing is that Dynamic Range is usually higher on very quiet tracks because there's a floor and a ceiling to the sound, without much chaos in between hence why tracks that are rated at DR10+ are mostly very quiet.

DR7-8 is very enjoyable for me still...

Directly to answer your question - You're not picky, you just have better dynamics in your newer setup. Try a better DAC than Schiit Modi you were using and you will find yourself even more picky and on the other hand more in love with the music.

Off-Topic: Chikolad, check out the HE-1000, I bet I'll be the first Israeli to own it :p Might have to sell the LCD-3's if they end up better.
Still no one is touching my Vega.

It's true that in 90% of cases masters with higher DR will be quieter than those with lower DR, although not always. But the loudness isn't what's bothering me, I have a volume knob for that 
tongue.gif

Even when I turn down the volume, everything is still flat and lifeless compared to the high DR tracks.

Regarding the Modi, I ordered the Geek Pulse on an impulse on Black Friday. So I'm crossing my fingers for a noticeable improvement over the Modi, and maybe you will stop pestering me about it too 
wink.gif

Man, those HE-1000's are UG-LY! But I still wanna hear 'em if you get 'em
biggrin.gif
 Let's hope their sound compensates for those looks.
I'm more curious about the Prototype Z :)

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #3,400 of 6,385
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #3,401 of 6,385
Just got my LCD-3s and confirmed they are the Fazor revision.  Everything was sealed and looks great but I'm not seeing that
wood cleaner bottle, wipes or the frequency response printout.  (I thought these items were supposed to be included)  Should
I have received these items or does Audeze no longer include them?  I've reached out to both the reseller and Audeze just to
confirm but I was curious if anyone else has experienced this.  Thanks.

EDIT: BTW, the box that the travel case came in was sealed with the Audeze gold sticker. (I had to slice it to open the box)
Also, the case itself was very well sealed with plastic that I had to cut to remove the case so it would seem to me that this was
a factory seal that wasn't tampered with by the reseller.  Maybe Audeze left it out?

I got all that stuff in mine a month ago.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #3,402 of 6,385
I got all that stuff in mine a month ago.

An Audeze rep returned my call regarding the missing wood oil.  Evidently there was a recent change in regards to how the wood is
coated/sealed and the oil is no longer needed thus they don't include it.  Looking at mine, there's no way that the oil could penetrate
the coating as it's very hard/slippery.  The rep also mentioned that the oil wouldn't penetrate the coating and suggested just wiping
them with a damp cloth if I wanted to clean them.  As someone else pointed out, they no longer include the frequency response
printout unless requested.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #3,403 of 6,385
An Audeze rep returned my call regarding the missing wood oil.  Evidently there was a recent change in regards to how the wood is
coated/sealed and the oil is no longer needed thus they don't include it.  Looking at mine, there's no way the the oil could penetrate
the coating as it's very hard/slippery.  The rep also mentioned that the oil wouldn't penetrate the coating and suggested just wiping
them with a damp cloth if I wanted to clean them.  As someone else pointed out, they no longer include the frequency response

Yeah, I always thought the wood care wax was not needed. Any wood that is laquered does need that and it can actually be bad for it. The only wood that needs it is a oiled/waxed or unfinished matte wood. As a matter of fact, it may have contributed to the early revs wood cracking.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #3,404 of 6,385
coated/sealed and the oil is no longer needed thus they don't include it.  Looking at mine, there's no way that the oil could penetrate

I love how Audeze keep perfecting their products! 
(Although it is annoying to know one has an older, lesser revision :))

p.s. I really hope that isn't true about the wax causing the cracking!

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #3,405 of 6,385
I haven't ever used the wood polish thing on my LCD-3s. I don't know if the previous owner did... but it's nearing a year that I've owned these... the finish is pretty smooth on these, I don't know if they're coated or treated with anything... would hate to see them crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back