Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #3,376 of 6,385
  Hey, does anyone know of any good headphone/speaker amps that go well with LCD-3 other than Schiit Ragnarok?
And yes I do mean it has to have both headphone and speaker outs...

Red Wine Audio Signature 16 with the balanced headphone output stage. My cassabria is the headphone only version, but the Sig 16 has an identical headphone stage. I think it is still available, otherwise the Vinnie Rossie "LIO" can also be configured this way (unfortunately I can't say I have heard that with the LCD-3s, but I would bet you dollars to donuts it would be amazing. LIO is sort of the next generation of the Red Wine Audio components.)

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #3,377 of 6,385
That LIO one looks interesting though a bit expensive for a proper setup....

That damn Ragnarok seems to be only sane choice

And then there's the part to get a proper headphone amp and then add a power amp on top but that might be a good thing in terms of specialty but in terms of being a good all-rounder it's just sad that Ragnarok is the only sane choice with a sane price.

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #3,379 of 6,385
Hello,
I have a pair of LCD-3s arriving today.  Although I was informed that they are the fazor revision, is there
a way for me to confirm that when they arrive? (is it marked anywhere, is there a visual difference, do
I need to physically feel for the fazor within the cups, etc.)  Thanks!

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #3,380 of 6,385
Jan 8, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #3,383 of 6,385
Jan 8, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #3,389 of 6,385
Have you tried the oppo ha-1? Sounds great with the balanced cable. Decently powerful but I wish it could drive the audeze a little easier..

I have a dedicated amplifier Schiit Lyr atm, I was looking for a headphone and speaker amp in one, oppo ha-1 is a headphone amp together with a dac, I don't need the DAC part at all...

XVampireX,

What about Audio-GD  :  Precision 2  or  Precision 1.
They have speaker taps and headphone single and balanced output if I recall. 

The Precision 2 one looks to be an alternative certainly, though the chassis is really ugly and the inside doesn't look so well put enough I've looked into the review by headmania, not too bad, but if there's a better alternative that would be better :p

Also I didn't like the fact that the review from headmania claims that the headphone out is not very neutral, it's on the warm side which doesn't sound like fun, I have a tube amp already and I am not a tube roller guy because tubes don't have infinite lifetime though they do change the sound signature significantly... But on the other hand I also don't really like the amps that are a bit on the sharp side (sharp treble) like the Bryston BHA-1 which besides the treble issue also has a problem with 0 volume (0 volume? yeah right) but if I were to get a dedicated headphone amp I'd probably get Auralic Taurus mk2 for sure, the problem is that I want both a speaker and a headphone amp in one, on the high end (in terms of pricing around the price of the Ragnarok, 2000 tops)

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #3,390 of 6,385
Just got my LCD-3s and confirmed they are the Fazor revision.  Everything was sealed and looks great but I'm not seeing that
wood cleaner bottle, wipes or the frequency response printout.  (I thought these items were supposed to be included)  Should
I have received these items or does Audeze no longer include them?  I've reached out to both the reseller and Audeze just to
confirm but I was curious if anyone else has experienced this.  Thanks.

EDIT: BTW, the box that the travel case came in was sealed with the Audeze gold sticker. (I had to slice it to open the box)
Also, the case itself was very well sealed with plastic that I had to cut to remove the case so it would seem to me that this was
a factory seal that wasn't tampered with by the reseller.  Maybe Audeze left it out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back