Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #1,681 of 6,388
Thanks Greed, that is exactly what I gathered... That was why I changed my order from GS-X to the Stratus.

Good choice! I'm looking forward to my smurf amp as well.
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #1,682 of 6,388
  I think a lot of the misconception regarding the GS-X mk2 being "the best" amp for both headphones, despite them being very different in presentation, is the unmentioned coupled source. A lot of what makes the GS-X mk2 special in my opinion is how it reveals your source and your headphones in tandem. I've tried the GS-X mk2 with lesser DACs such as the Bifrost, Musical Fidelity M1 DAC, and the Sabre D18 and all were combos I didn't enjoy. To me, source has quite a bit to due with the overall sound quality you get out of the GS-X mk2. Personally, the best I've heard the LCD-3 was with the PWD MKII / GS-X mk2 Combo.

@froger - Also, one person's "organic and natural" could vary quite a bit from your own definition of the sound. Personally, the HD800 with the GS-X mk2 is a very nice combination. I personally like a bit of warmth with the HD800, so per your quest for a organic and natural sounding HD800 tells me you should be looking at various tube amps. Quite a few choices out there if you expand your search to include tubes. (LG, Stratus, ECBA, etc.)

How would you compare the LG and GS-X Mk2 for either the LCD-3 and the HD800?  Been reading up all these SS and OTL amps but still haven't been able to commit on one due to lack of demos locally here....

Sep 22, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #1,684 of 6,388
  How would you compare the LG and GS-X Mk2 for either the LCD-3 and the HD800?

I wouldn't touch an LG unless it was used and in the $2000 range.  Still be poor value but at least if you didn't like it you wouldn't lose your shirt selling it again.

As for the GS-X mk2/HD800 combo.  Dynamics is something the HD800 needs most to not sound totally dead.  GS-X mk2 delivers.  Bass weight and propulsion is something the HD800 needs to not be completely thin.  GS-X mk2 delivers here too.  HD800 is however not neutral no matter how loudly Senn screams it from the roof tops.  Play some pink noise, there is a clearly raised treble shelf, not spike, that only after shaving ~6dB smooths out.  Or you go the high impedance route to boost bass and drop control so the driver isn't so stiff.  Senn's own amp does that.

Sep 22, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #1,685 of 6,388
  In what way is the GS-X MkII better than the Mjolnir when paired with the LCD-3 (or HD-800 for that matter)?

The faults of the MJ are the strengths of the GS-X mk2.  Which is sound stage and tonal balance.  The Mjolnir is tonally tilted up and the stage is 3 blob and not quite as focused in comparison.  The GS-X mk2 is tonally shifted down and staging is precise as is focus.  That said I might bring in a Schiit stack to see how much of it was the W4S DAC-2.

Sep 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #1,686 of 6,388

I wouldn't touch an LG unless it was used and in the $2000 range.  Still be poor value but at least if you didn't like it you wouldn't lose your shirt selling it again.

As for the GS-X mk2/HD800 combo.  Dynamics is something the HD800 needs most to not sound totally dead.  GS-X mk2 delivers.  Bass weight and propulsion is something the HD800 needs to not be completely thin.  GS-X mk2 delivers here too.  HD800 is however not neutral no matter how loudly Senn screams it from the roof tops.  Play some pink noise, there is a clearly raised treble shelf, not spike, that only after shaving ~6dB smooths out.  Or you go the high impedance route to boost bass and drop control so the driver isn't so stiff.  Senn's own amp does that.

Totally agree with those statements. That's also why the Master-6/8 is such a great match as well, with the right source 
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #1,687 of 6,388

How would you compare the LG and GS-X Mk2 for either the LCD-3 and the HD800?  Been reading up all these SS and OTL amps but still haven't been able to commit on one due to lack of demos locally here....

I won't be as completely dismissive of the LG like Solude was, but the reality is the GS-X mk2 is the better amp. Better bass control, treble is more refined, just more focus across the board. Everything is more precise and articulated (detailed and transparent). To some it probably will sound more realistic and natural to the track. The few things that the LG does better is dynamics and soundstaging - but this is after testing multiple tube sets ($$$) and choosing the most optimal tube for my preferences. Personally, I don't find the LG to be drastically overpriced, it is more expensive than the GS-X mk2, but it is a great amp for someone that finds tube rolling enjoyable and wants only one amp. I will say the amp has a ton of versatility being able to adapt the sound to your preferences for each individual headphone. With the right tubes, the LG paired very nicely with all of the headphones I threw at it, except the Fostex TH600/900 and Denon D7K. Both HD800 and LCD-3 pairings were wonderful, but as I said you need to front the cash to have it sound really good. Stock tubes are decent. but don't do any justice to what the amp truly can do (as all tube amplifiers IMO, the stock tubes are usually quite bad in comparison). Also, just to let you know the LG is not a OTL design. It is a hybrid tube amplifier that uses the selected tubes as the output buffer. This allows the amplifier to be powered by "SS" parts, while keeping the warmth of tubes for flavor. In essence it is a suped-up Schiit Lyr. Overall, I have no regrets buying the LG. It is a BEAUTIFUL amplifier which is rarely depicted accurately in photos, build quality is top notch (I would rank it a step above the GS-X mk2), and the sound is great granted you are patient while finding the right tubes. That last bit was the only reason I sold mine. I just didn't have the patience or money to be spending on tube rolling to find the right tube for every headphone that passes in and out of my stable. If you want a great amp that pairs nicely with almost everything (everything?) and none of the hassle of tubes, the GS-X mk2 is the clear choice. If you like the journey and have a blank check, the LG is a good amp and worthy of consideration. 

PS: For my preferences I prefer the LCD-3 with the GS-X mk2, and the HD800 with the LG. We shall see when the Stratus arrives if anything changes.

Sep 22, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #1,688 of 6,388

Totally agree with those statements. That's also why the Master-6/8 is such a great match as well, with the right source 
biggrin.gif

Yes, at the moment I'm finding my lowly NFB-28 pairing quite well with my HD800.  The audio-gd had pleasantly surprised me with the HD800.   In fact probably better with the HD800 than the LCD3 and hence my looking at LCD3 amp suggestions.  

Sep 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #1,689 of 6,388
Just thought I'd clear up that the Lyr and LG use the tubes for power, voltage gain, and solid state for the buffer, current gain.  The problem with the LG is the price tag.  I found the LF uncompetitive to amps in the $1K range.  For what the LG costs you are deep into TOTL tube amps.

Sep 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,690 of 6,388
  Just thought I'd clear up that the Lyr and LG use the tubes for power, voltage gain, and solid state for the buffer, current gain.  The problem with the LG is the price tag.  I found the LF uncompetitive to amps in the $1K range.  For what the LG costs you are deep into TOTL tube amps.

LF sucked for what it was. LG is absolutely worth it. That is, if tubes are your thing.

Cavalli is generally overpriced for what's brought to the table, IMO.

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #1,691 of 6,388

Thanks, that sounds right - I knew I had that a bit garbled. Although I don't think the LG gets all of its power from the tubes. Although I maybe wrong. Either way, I would consider the LG a TOTL tube amp (obviously for headphones only), probably not up to snuff with the ECBA, EC2A3, Pinnacle, even the Stratus, etc. but I do believe for what it is, it's a nice amp. 

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #1,692 of 6,388

Thanks, that sounds right - I knew I had that a bit garbled. Although I don't think the LG gets all of its power from the tubes. Although I maybe wrong. Either way, I would consider the LG a TOTL tube amp (obviously for headphones only), probably not up to snuff with the ECBA, EC2A3, Pinnacle, even the Stratus, etc. but I do believe for what it is, it's a nice amp. 

where does WA22 / WA5 stand?

i personally did not like ECBA, though i did like its transparency and detail with hd 800. definitely TOTL.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #1,693 of 6,388
WA22 is a more expensive yet poorer B22.  Pretty much stand ins for each other with the right tubes.  WA5 gets mixed reviews so likely a love it or hate it amp.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #1,694 of 6,388
  WA22 is a more expensive yet poorer B22.  Pretty much stand ins for each other with the right tubes.  WA5 gets mixed reviews so likely a love it or hate it amp.

i'm looking at WA22 mostly as a small upgrade to WA2, which i feel with the right tubes is more than enough for me. looking for it to be a euphonic amp rather than one that seeks ultimate perfection. and of course, the tubes i already have and are cheaper than WA5. 

i kinda want WA5 because its single ended and i can connect both my GSX and WA5 at same time with amp, but of course, the tubes.... not much tube rolling with 300b...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back