Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #1,666 of 6,388
I have no idea how it sounds, only the level of engineering.  Kevin has the M1 pre version so I don't know if anyone has both the GS-X mk2 and M8 to compare/contrast.

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #1,667 of 6,388
How would you know, if you have never heard the amplifier? You're assuming all of this on what? One person's opinion? :blink:  

IMO, there isn't one amplifier that has perfect synergy with all headphones, but the GS-X mk2 is probably the closest I've heard to that sentiment. 
you bet everyone in this forum will love to use their own ears to be the best judge for themselves! Seriously, if I have no chance to listen to the amplifier, then what else can I do but to gather as many opinions to compare to what i have heard, so that i can make the most "informed" decision? As I have mentioned, GS-X definitely works great with many headphones including HD800, but it doesn't seems to make HD800 sound more natural or organic which is closer to the signature I am looking. By the way, I have read the entire GS-X thread at least 3 times before I made the order and cancelled the order, so I have read many opinions on GS-X though it took plenty of filtering through that thread.

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #1,668 of 6,388
you bet everyone in this forum will love to use their own ears to be the beat judge for themselves! Seriously, if I have no chance to listen to the amplifier, then what else can I do but to gather as many opinions to compare to what i have heard, so that i can make the most "informed" decision? As I have mentioned, GS-X definitely works great with many headphones including HD800, but it doesn't seems to make HD800 sound more natural or organic which is closer to the signature I am looking. By the way, I have read the entire GS-X thread at least 3 times before I made the order and cancel the order.

If you want the HD800s to sound organic and then have you considered maybe they're not the headphones for you? The GS-X MKII will give you all the facts (about the HD800s and your source). That said, the GS-X MKII is the best amp I've heard the HD800s with (and the LCD-3s....to bring this thread back on topic 
size]
). 

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #1,669 of 6,388
As I have mentioned, GS-X definitely works great with many headphones including HD800, but it doesn't seems to make HD800 sound more natural or organic which is closer to the signature I am looking.

Hells yes it does!  Only amp in my profile to give it natural dynamics where everything else sounded like a compressor was in the chain somewhere.

Also true with the LCD-3.  The B22 I have downstairs is dead sounding in comparison with the LCD-3.  Loves me some BJT, always have even going back to the speaker days.

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #1,670 of 6,388
If you want the HD800s to sound organic and then have you considered maybe they're not the headphones for you? The GS-X MKII will give you all the facts (about the HD800s and your source). That said, the GS-X MKII is the best amp I've heard the HD800s with (and the LCD-3s....to bring this thread back on topic :wink: ). 
I think you have to agree many of us are trying different ways to make the music from our headphones sound better, like making LCDs sound more open, detailed and clear, and for HD800 in my case, I am trying to make music coming out from it more natural sounding. It is possible, my DAC in my opinion, has done half the job. HD800 is not my first flagship headphone, I know what I gain and lose from choosing it. If you think it is not the headphone I should be using, then which will you recommend? LCD-3, SR-007 or SR-009? which I have all thought of, but decided not to, due to other considerations.

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #1,671 of 6,388
I think you have to agree many of us are trying different ways to make the music from our headphones sound better, like making LCDs sound more open, detailed and clear, and for HD800 in my case, I am trying to make music coming out from it more natural sounding. It is possible, my DAC in my opinion, has done half the job. HD800 is not my first flagship headphone, I know what I gain and lose from choosing it. If you think it is not the headphone I should be using, then which will you recommend? LCD-3, SR-007 or SR-009? which I have all thought of, but decided not to, due to other considerations.

Based on your comments, I'd recommend the LCD-3. I would really only recommend the SR-007MK1, but as they are no longer available and finding a "good" 007MK1 isn't easy. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #1,672 of 6,388

If you want the HD800s to sound organic and then have you considered maybe they're not the headphones for you? The GS-X MKII will give you all the facts (about the HD800s and your source). That said, the GS-X MKII is the best amp I've heard the HD800s with (and the LCD-3s....to bring this thread back on topic 
size]
). 

Need to hear the GS-X MkII myself someday after all the impressions I've read here. In what way is the GS-X MkII better than the Mjolnir when paired with the LCD-3 (or HD-800 for that matter)?

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #1,673 of 6,388

Hells yes it does!  Only amp in my profile to give it natural dynamics where everything else sounded like a compressor was in the chain somewhere.

Also true with the LCD-3.  The B22 I have downstairs is dead sounding in comparison with the LCD-3.  Loves me some BJT, always have even going back to the speaker days.

It makes the HD800 sound natural and organic? Really? The ONLY ss amp I've tried that could even remotely claim that-was the P1u. Nothing else even came close. No, I have not heard the GSX, but I've heard MANY very neutral ss amps such as the Master 8, Dynalo, and BHA-1 and NONE of them remotely sounded what I would term 'organic' with the Senns. Yet the Luxman does it in spades imo. You seem to be talking 'natural dynamics', where as an organic sound as I think of it, and I think what Froger is asking-is in relation to tonality, timbre, 'meat on the bones', etc. Organic.

Sorry to add to the OT...

-Daniel

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #1,674 of 6,388

Need to hear the GS-X MkII myself someday after all the impressions I've read here. In what way is the GS-X MkII better than the Mjolnir when paired with the LCD-3 (or HD-800 for that matter)?

For the $ the Mjolnir is hard to beat. But I haven't heard it to comment more.

It makes the HD800 sound natural and organic? Really? The ONLY ss amp I've tried that could even remotely claim that-was the P1u. Nothing else even came close. No, I have not heard the GSX, but I've heard MANY very neutral ss amps such as the Master 8, Dynalo, and BHA-1 and NONE of them remotely sounded what I would term 'organic' with the Senns. Yet the Luxman does it in spades imo. You seem to be talking 'natural dynamics', where as an organic sound as I think of it, and I think what Froger is asking-is in relation to tonality, timbre, 'meat on the bones', etc. Organic.

Sorry to add to the OT...

-Daniel

Daniel, sounds like you're not a full fan of the HD800s and are looking at changing it's character to suite your preferences. Nothing wrong with that...but maybe the HD800 thread would be the best place instead of the LCD-3 Appreciation Thread? 
redface.gif

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #1,675 of 6,388
quote name="DarknightDK" url="/t/588429/audeze-lcd-3-appreciation-thread/1665#post_9824439"]
[/quote
Took my words away. I have almost ordered the GS-X like 5 times only to not hit the pay now button in paypal. The hesitation is due to the fact I have the Mjolnir and to me the Mojo/LCD 3 combo is very bright but very detailed and revealing ( no problem with the last two). Not to mention an overall aggressive presentation.
From what I read of the GS-X I understand the bass is better and I do want my music slightly south of neutral. Let's see what the "gurus" of the GS-X have to say. I happen to value the opinion of Solude and MacedonianHero highly.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #1,676 of 6,388
quote name="DarknightDK" url="/t/588429/audeze-lcd-3-appreciation-thread/1665#post_9824439"]
[/quote
Took my words away. I have almost ordered the GS-X like 5 times only to not hit the pay now button in paypal. The hesitation is due to the fact I have the Mjolnir and to me the Mojo/LCD 3 combo is very bright but very detailed and revealing ( no problem with the last two). Not to mention an overall aggressive presentation.
From what I read of the GS-X I understand the bass is better and I do want my music slightly south of neutral. Let's see what the "gurus" of the GS-X have to say. I happen to value the opinion of Solude and MacedonianHero highly.

Maybe Solude could chime in with the MJ and GS-X MKII comparisons with the LCD-3s? (He used to own the MJ). 

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #1,677 of 6,388

For the $ the Mjolnir is hard to beat. But I haven't heard it to comment more.

Daniel, sounds like you're not a full fan of the HD800s and are looking at changing it's character to suite your preferences. Nothing wrong with that...but maybe the HD800 thread would be the best place instead of the LCD-3 Appreciation Thread? 
redface.gif

So-you'll make a snarky remark about the HD800-then tell me to go talk about it elsewhere? You crack me up...

BTW I prefer the HD800 because it's so neutral I can tailor the sound however I want depending on my mood/listening preferences. Too bad I am not able to do that with the colored *on topic alert* LCD-3. Perhaps that's why you like the GSX with the Audeze-you need it's uber-neutral character to offset the LCDs? Nothing wrong with that either.
wink_face.gif

-Daniel

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #1,678 of 6,388

So-you'll make a snarky remark about the HD800-then tell me to go talk about it elsewhere? You crack me up...

BTW I prefer the HD800 because it's so neutral I can tailor the sound however I want depending on my mood/listening preferences. Too bad I am not able to do that with the colored *on topic alert* LCD-3. Perhaps that's why you like the GSX with the Audeze-you need it's uber-neutral character to offset the LCDs? Nothing wrong with that either.
wink_face.gif

-Daniel

Nothing snarky....really...just this is the LCD-3 appreciation thread. I'm very happy to discuss it over there. 
size]

The LCD-3s are natural and I can change how they sound....just happens that BOTH the LCD-3 and HD800s sound best with the GS-X. See I like both headphones and want to hear them and their unique presentations of neutral. Something the HD800s do NOT have a sole claim to. 

Sep 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #1,679 of 6,388
I think a lot of the misconception regarding the GS-X mk2 being "the best" amp for both headphones, despite them being very different in presentation, is the unmentioned coupled source. A lot of what makes the GS-X mk2 special in my opinion is how it reveals your source and your headphones in tandem. I've tried the GS-X mk2 with lesser DACs such as the Bifrost, Musical Fidelity M1 DAC, and the Sabre D18 and all were combos I didn't enjoy. To me, source has quite a bit to due with the overall sound quality you get out of the GS-X mk2. Personally, the best I've heard the LCD-3 was with the PWD MKII / GS-X mk2 Combo.

@froger - Also, one person's "organic and natural" could vary quite a bit from your own definition of the sound. Personally, the HD800 with the GS-X mk2 is a very nice combination. I personally like a bit of warmth with the HD800, so per your quest for a organic and natural sounding HD800 tells me you should be looking at various tube amps. Quite a few choices out there if you expand your search to include tubes. (LG, Stratus, ECBA, etc.)

Sep 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #1,680 of 6,388
Thanks Greed, that is exactly what I gathered... That was why I changed my order from GS-X to the Stratus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back