Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 31, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #2,986 of 18,459

Quote:
USG, I just don't think these are the cans for you.  Waaay too many negatives.  Move on, get something else.

Oh don't be so negative, a few more tweaks and they might be mine......  They're getting better all the time...... 
beyersmile.png

USG

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #2,987 of 18,459

Quote:
that's quite a proposition - cables are not equalizers - even 10s of Ohms special conductive carbon cables wouldn't be expected to make audible frequency response difference with the LCD-2's very flat 50 Ohm measured impedance once you turned the volme up to compensate for the volume drop

10 dB response differences require explicit equalization circuitry - no amp or cable is that "colored"

Don't make your opinions sound like facts. Aftermarket cables do have a marked effect on the LCD-2's sound according to those who've used them.
Some impressions here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491564/audeze-lcd2-with-alo-lux-fep-18awg-cable

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #2,988 of 18,459

Quote:
Ever the intriguing poster.  Could you explain what a ratatat sound is?

Aaah ya love me.........
tongue.gif
  Just say it fast in you head or with you mouth and that is what I was hearing.  The drums and the general beat.  But i am used to tubes and different phones that may not be quite as fast.  Also i have a bunch of smoothing down built into my setup that takes off edges and fatigue that I was getting at one point.  

Better explain that or i'll get another question.....I have Amarra software, full sized Complement copper recables, The Diverter(which really takes off the digital bite quite a bit) and of course roll tubes on the Zana Duex.  The Zana Duex is quite stark and i get fatigue with any digital formate it seems unless i smooth it out a bit.  Gotta say that it did mellow out after the 200 hour mark though so appears to be less of an issue now a days.

So I don't get any real ragged edges and the speed may not be as fast as the setup i was auditioning, thus ratatatat.
rolleyes.gif
  This time the sound was not apparent to the owner even though the slight coloration was.  Think it just was the combo of the particular dac/amp/lcd2 and how they interacted for me and what i was used to hearing.  He has a temporary dac in while waiting for a ultra high end one being built.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #2,989 of 18,459
Who needs another bright headphone, much less a bright ortho?  The whole point of planarism and orthodom as I see it (I'm no expert) is that you can have all the detail/speed (and more) of dynamics, but without the tipped up/harsh treble that dynamics need to get there.  I mean if bright is what you want, then there is a cacophony of dynamics to choose from...

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #2,990 of 18,459

Quote:
Who needs another bright headphone, much less a bright ortho?  The whole point of planarism and orthodom as I see it (I'm no expert) is that you can have all the detail/speed (and more) of dynamics, but without the tipped up/harsh treble that dynamics need to get there.  I mean if bright is what you want, then there is a cacophony of dynamics to choose from...

Umm, unless I read you wrong that's not quite right.  Orthos are faster than dynamics and electrostats are even fast yet.  It is dynamics trying to catch up to the speed of orthos and stats.  Beyer Tesla for example is all about speeding up the dynamic driver.  Orthos are supposed to be the best compromise between stats and dynamics while imparting their own unique character.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #2,991 of 18,459

Quote:
Oh don't be so negative, a few more tweaks and they might be mine......  They're getting better all the time...... 
beyersmile.png

USG

LoL! 
o2smile.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #2,992 of 18,459
I was wondering if the owners who have had their pairs recabled could tell me if they think this is an essential upgrade or just a simple tweak? I know when I got my HD650s recabled it was a minor tweak that I felt improved the sound to that last 5% or so that to me was worth doing it. I'm sensing that I will appreciate these recabled as well.

So you who have done it could you tell us what kind of cable you replaced the stock with?

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #2,993 of 18,459

Quote:
Aaah ya love me.........
tongue.gif
  Just say it fast in you head or with you mouth and that is what I was hearing.  The drums and the general beat.  But i am used to tubes and different phones that may not be quite as fast.  Also i have a bunch of smoothing down built into my setup that takes off edges and fatigue that I was getting at one point.    
Better explain that or i'll get another question.....I have Amarra software, full sized Complement copper recables, The Diverter(which really takes off the digital bite quite a bit) and of course roll tubes on the Zana Duex.  The Zana Duex is quite stark and i get fatigue with any digital formate it seems unless i smooth it out a bit.  Gotta say that it did mellow out after the 200 hour mark though so appears to be less of an issue now a days.

So I don't get any real ragged edges and the speed may not be as fast as the setup i was auditioning, thus ratatatat.
rolleyes.gif
  This time the sound was not apparent to the owner even though the slight coloration was.  Think it just was the combo of the particular dac/amp/lcd2 and how they interacted for me and what i was used to hearing.  He has a temporary dac in while waiting for a ultra high end one being built.

Ah, IC.  Can you recommend a track that is a good example of ratatatat?

Btw, is your Diverter asyc?  How big is it?  It's hard to tell from the pics.  How does it take the bite off digital?  Does it roll off the edges?  What are you comparing it to?  (OK, no more, back on topic)

Quote:

Brightness is not an issue for me.  I like my 650s.

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #2,994 of 18,459
I'll pm u about The Diverter to keep this on track.

edit- I was choosing from someone elses data base but I can say that i could readily tell between the well converted 24 bit and the badly converted without even a second thought.  The LCD2 is amazingly revealing.

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #2,995 of 18,459
Put in for the pre-order late May and just received my payment email.  That's only just over 2 months.

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #2,997 of 18,459

Quote:
Umm, unless I read you wrong that's not quite right.  Orthos are faster than dynamics and electrostats are even fast yet.  It is dynamics trying to catch up to the speed of orthos and stats.  Beyer Tesla for example is all about speeding up the dynamic driver.  Orthos are supposed to be the best compromise between stats and dynamics while imparting their own unique character.

Yes, that's what I meant by "(and more)".  That dynamics usually need a tipped up treble to try to create the illusion of speed/detail, while orthos just move.  But the T1 supposedly has very smooth treble I'd love to hear them! 

I should probably stop posting in this thread until I can afford them, I just can't help but try to join in the fun
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #2,998 of 18,459
Looking forward to a review of all those cables you made.

Quote:
Finalllyyyyyyy!

I got my order confirmation from Audeze today and I just sent the payment.  I chose 2-day shipping, you will have my impressions soon.  I will be using them with a Stacker 2 and Audio-gd Roc (Ref 5 source).  I also have a plethora of cables (already assembled) to test with them.  

If they don't beat my dt880 600 ohms, the LCD-2s will be going up for sale, if they do beat them, dt880's going up for sale :D

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #3,000 of 18,459

Quote:
Finalllyyyyyyy!

I got my order confirmation from Audeze today and I just sent the payment.  I chose 2-day shipping, you will have my impressions soon.  I will be using them with a Stacker 2 and Audio-gd Roc (Ref 5 source).  I also have a plethora of cables (already assembled) to test with them.  

If they don't beat my dt880 600 ohms, the LCD-2s will be going up for sale, if they do beat them, dt880's going up for sale :D

Can I jump straight in line to purchase the LCD2's if you dislike them.  I now hope the LCD2s are crap
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back