Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 31, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #2,972 of 18,459

Quote:

A "650 improved" is exactly what I'm looking for, but as I've posted before, IMO, the LCD is a work in progress and not a finished product, so I'm going to wait for a few more refinements before jumping in....

LCD-2.5 (brighten dark 650-like sound, maybe with a cable change??)

that's quite a proposition - cables are not equalizers - even 10s of Ohms special conductive carbon cables wouldn't be expected to make audible frequency response difference with the LCD-2's very flat 50 Ohm measured impedance once you turned the volme up to compensate for the volume drop

10 dB response differences require explicit equalization circuitry - no amp or cable is that "colored"

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #2,973 of 18,459
I often fall asleep wearing mine, so they aren't heavier than that. A good thing that they clamp firmly too then.

I like the minor tweaks they have done to the LCD-2. I think it looks even better now, and it's nice that people who bought it early will get the new headband foam.

Quote:
How do you even know they would be too heavy Upstateguy? I thought they were a bit hefty at first but honestly don't notice them. And I got them yesterday.

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #2,974 of 18,459
Finalllyyyyyyy!

I got my order confirmation from Audeze today and I just sent the payment.  I chose 2-day shipping, you will have my impressions soon.  I will be using them with a Stacker 2 and Audio-gd Roc (Ref 5 source).  I also have a plethora of cables (already assembled) to test with them.  

If they don't beat my dt880 600 ohms, the LCD-2s will be going up for sale, if they do beat them, dt880's going up for sale :D

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #2,976 of 18,459

Quote:

Could you explain a little more about the colored lower midrange upper bass that you noticed?

USG

I was asked by the owner what I heard after I listened for a few hours in the quiet.  I replied that it sounded very good and high end, detailed and fast but that I heard some coloration on the mid range, the lower end it seemed and in the bass.  He agreed and confirmed that he heard that as well.  Thinking back it seems to me that it was in the lower mid and upper bass range, that is why i commented that.  I can't describe it any more than it just didn't sound natural to me.  When I get them i will get more in to it.  I don't want to try to describe it a month later, audio memory is too short.

Otherwise, it is a very fast phone but I heard it with the amp that i wasn't used to(solid state).  I heard a ratatat sound with the set up as well and I attribute that to the speed combined with that set up.  We changed dac's on the next go around and it helped that a lot but i still did slightly hear it and just attribute it to the speed of the SS amp and the LCD2.  Other than that the bass stands out good and fast and the upper end is nice and detailed for a pair of HP's with that level of bass.

Like I said before, I am still on the preorder list and bought an amp, the same one i auditioned them with, to accommodate them in that my Zana Duex and Lisa lll don't seem like they would flip the bill.  So obviously I did hear something I liked quit a bit.
smile.gif

Jul 31, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #2,979 of 18,459
Got my confirmation e-mail today and I ordered the 30th of May.

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #2,980 of 18,459
Nothing here ordered the 20th. Time to give them a call :)

Jul 31, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #2,982 of 18,459

Quote:
whats the bass like compared to the D7000

Sorry, but I hate these ludicrous comparison questions - like the old adage, its like comparing apples to oranges (which one tastes better).
These are two VERY different headphones, each having their own unique sound signature, one from the dynamics stable and the other
an orthodynamic.  Some people will prefer the D7000, some people will prefer the LCD-2, period.

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #2,983 of 18,459

Quote:
How do you even know they would be too heavy Upstateguy? I thought they were a bit hefty at first but honestly don't notiWece them. And I got them yesterday.

Well, my T-1s feel heavy to me and the LCDs are significantly heavier than the T-1s.....

Quote:
that's quite a proposition - cables are not equalizers - even 10s of Ohms special conductive carbon cables wouldn't be expected to make audible frequency response difference with the LCD-2's very flat 50 Ohm measured impedance once you turned the volme up to compensate for the volume drop

10 dB response differences require explicit equalization circuitry - no amp or cable is that "colored"

That's not what the 650 recablers say.....   and they've had years of experience brightening up a dark headphone......

Quote:
 I heard a ratatat sound with the set up as well and I attribute that to the speed combined with that set up.......

Ever the intriguing poster.  Could you explain what a ratatat sound is?

Quote:
Sorry, but I hate these ludicrous comparison questions - like the old adage, its like comparing apples to oranges (which one tastes better).
These are two VERY different headphones, each having their own unique sound signature, one from the dynamics stable and the other
an orthodynamic.  Some people will prefer the D7000, some people will prefer the LCD-2, period.

That comment was uncalled for charliex..........   and besides, I think it was a valid question.

USG

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #2,984 of 18,459
USG, I just don't think these are the cans for you.  Waaay too many negatives.  Move on, get something else.

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #2,985 of 18,459

Quote:
Finalllyyyyyyy!

I got my order confirmation from Audeze today and I just sent the payment.  I chose 2-day shipping, you will have my impressions soon.  I will be using them with a Stacker 2 and Audio-gd Roc (Ref 5 source).  I also have a plethora of cables (already assembled) to test with them.  

If they don't beat my dt880 600 ohms, the LCD-2s will be going up for sale, if they do beat them, dt880's going up for sale :D

Congrats! Mine will be arriving tomorrow. I've already reterminated my Cardas Golden Reference headphone cable in anticipation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back