Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 31, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #2,956 of 18,459
I'm not sure if the dark vs. bright description is the most apt way to characterize the LCD-2. I am listening to them at the moment, and what keeps coming to me is weight. The LCD-2 has a very heavy presentation, while reproducing sound at full speed throughout the spectrum. They are like a hot-rodded freight train, or an all-pro NFL lineman that hits like a truck yet can run a 4.4 second 40-yard dash. Or perhaps a bowling ball shot out of a canon to pick up a perfect 7/10 split for the win... the LCD-2 has real momentum, and stops for no one. This combination of weight, speed, and finesse is what sets these cans apart IMHO.

Jul 31, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #2,957 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm not sure if the dark vs. bright description is the most apt way to characterize the LCD-2. I am listening to them at the moment, and what keeps coming to me is weight. The LCD-2 has a very heavy presentation, while reproducing sound at full speed throughout the spectrum. They are like a hot-rodded freight train, or an all-pro NFL lineman that hits like a truck yet can run a 4.4 second 40-yard dash. Or perhaps a bowling ball shot out of a canon to pick up a perfect 7/10 split for the win... the LCD-2 has real momentum, and stops for no one. This combination of weight, speed, and finesse is what sets these cans apart IMHO.

[size=medium]
So,... you could say that you FEEL the music?  This description of yours gets me excited to give them a listen....

What do you think accounts for a lot people not being wowed when they first hear them ?  They are too used to a more artificial sound from other headphones?  Were you wowed when you first heard them?
[/size]

Jul 31, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #2,958 of 18,459
Quote:
So,... you could say that you FEEL the music?  This description of yours gets me excited to give them a listen....

What do you think accounts for a lot people not being wowed when they first hear them ?  They are too used to a more artificial sound from other headphones?  Were you wowed when you first heard them?

This is what I had to say regarding my first impression of them in the review page a while back:
"I was not blown away at first, but the LCD-2 does seem to get better and better (and better) with each listen. They seem to only want to reveal a bit about themselves at a time. It's like learning to appreciate a fine wine, or the difference that a really good cigar offers; your senses have to catch up to the added nuances. I would go as far as to say that the auditory information offered by the LCD-2 is like seeing the sun set on the water for the first time. It's hard to take it all in on the first observation, or listening session, but you are rewarded with new revelations every time you come back for another look (or listen, as it were)."
If I had to describe the LCD-2 in a single word, the word that I would use is authority. They are in complete control of the sonic presentation.
And yes I can feel the music, there is a lot of texture to the LCD-2's sound palette. These are the polar opposite of sterile-sounding headphones
o2smile.gif

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #2,959 of 18,459
How does the LCD-2 compare to the D7000. (especialy the bass?)

After auditioning the HD800 and walking away with a bad taste in my mouth, I am very dubious to buy anything I can't listen to first.

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #2,960 of 18,459
I'm firmly in the camp of people who do not find the LCD-2 to be at all dark. Their treble balance is very, very natural sounding, and doesn't lack detail at all. But I know from years of head-fi reading that there are people who like a very bright treble - and I don't think the LCD-2 will be ideal for those people.

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #2,961 of 18,459
People who prefer louder treble instead of deep bass extension might prefer the LCD-1.

Quote:
I'm firmly in the camp of people who do not find the LCD-2 to be at all dark. Their treble balance is very, very natural sounding, and doesn't lack detail at all. But I know from years of head-fi reading that there are people who like a very bright treble - and I don't think the LCD-2 will be ideal for those people.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #2,962 of 18,459
I agree with the statement about speed and weight.  This appears to be a lot of the LCD2's strength.  I did notice what I call a colored lower midrange upper bass.  It isn't something that I couldn't live with and after a bit it will be easy get used to it along with the music integration that i had a little difficulty with.  These are just nit picking of course though and I think they will end up being a good complement to my current set up.  Can't wait to get them in hear since i have only gotten to hear them twice for a total of four or four and a half hours.  Trying to get different sounds instead of a lot of the same and these seem like they will suffice to that end.
smile.gif

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #2,963 of 18,459

Quote:
I've followed your dilemma with the T1 - looking at the graphs - I now understand where you are coming from....I once considered the T1 but will now steer cleer from it - look at that treble peak!  Perhaps you ought to follow the LCD2 bandwagon - as I started becoming delusional with Senn and Head-fi and thinking everyone has lost the plot or I have gone insane - in trying to get a "better" HD650, I even thought about buying the HD600 - but decided EQ'ing the HD650 will amount to the same thing.

A "650 improved" is exactly what I'm looking for, but as I've posted before, IMO, the LCD is a work in progress and not a finished product, so I'm going to wait for a few more refinements before jumping in....

Here's how I view the LCD's progress:

LCD-1    (beta)
LCD-2    (release)
LCD-2.1 (headband foam change)
LCD-2.2 (angled XLR plugs)
LCD-2.3 (reinforced grill change)
LCD-2.4 (reinforced yokes that attach to the earcups, dampen vibrations)
LCD-2.5 (brighten dark 650-like sound, maybe with a cable change??)
LCD-2.6 (due to continuing complaints, another headband foam change)
  ↓
LCD-3     (weight issue to be addressed)

Quote:
"I was not blown away at first, but the LCD-2 does seem to get better and better (and better) with each listen. They seem to only want to reveal a bit about themselves at a time. It's like learning to appreciate a fine wine, or the difference that a really good cigar offers; your senses have to catch up to the added nuances. I would go as far as to say that the auditory information offered by the LCD-2 is like seeing the sun set on the water for the first time. It's hard to take it all in on the first observation, or listening session, but you are rewarded with new revelations every time you come back for another look (or listen, as it were)."

Sounds more like acclimating.  I put away all my other headphones for the time being and I find that I'm acclimating nicely to the T-1 sound.

Quote:
I agree with the statement about speed and weight.  This appears to be a lot of the LCD2's strength.  I did notice what I call a colored lower midrange upper bass.  It isn't something that I couldn't live with and after a bit it will be easy get used to it along with the music integration that i had a little difficulty with.  ......

Could you explain a little more about the colored lower midrange upper bass that you noticed?

USG

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #2,964 of 18,459
Thanks grokit.

Your post has pushed me over the edge. 

If this is wrong for me to post, please delete.

I am wanting to buy the LCD-2 - I dont care if it is the original LCD-2 with the poor headband, non angled connectors and and older grille.  My circumastances of financial ruin means I don not know where my residence in the future monthes, hence I am unable to go on the wainting list.  I am willing to pay a premium to take delivery of the LCD2 sooner.

Please PM me and we can negotiate should you be interested.

Quote:

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #2,965 of 18,459
This is a perfectly legitimate observation.  It is probable, but only time will tell - very well analysed IMHO.

Quote:

A "650 improved" is exactly what I'm looking for, but as I've posted before, IMO, the LCD is a work in progress and not a finished product, so I'm going to wait for a few more refinements before jumping in....

Here's how I view the LCD's progress:

LCD-1    (beta)
LCD-2    (release)
LCD-2.1 (headband foam change)
LCD-2.2 (angled XLR plugs)
LCD-2.3 (reinforced grill change)
LCD-2.4 (reinforced yokes that attach to the earcups, dampen vibrations)
LCD-2.5 (brighten dark 650-like sound, maybe with a cable change??)
LCD-2.6 (due to continuing complaints, another headband foam change)
  ↓
LCD-3     (weight issue to be addressed)

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #2,968 of 18,459
Just want to let you guys know - I deleted the post where I criticesed the HD800 and T1 - it was wrong and full of crap.  My aplogies to owners of both these fabulous cans.

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #2,969 of 18,459

Quote:
Everytime I read USG posts I have a big laugh
darthsmile.gif

USG seems like you are waiting for LCD-5 or 6

LOL, Maybe just the LCD-3 ...............   love the descriptions of the sound signature, just want a lighter version...........
L3000.gif

Quote:
Just want to let you guys know - I deleted the post where I criticesed the HD800 and T1 - it was wrong and full of crap.  My aplogies to owners of both these fabulous cans.

You didn't have to delete it.  It was how you felt at that moment from looking at the graphs. Nothing wrong with that.

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back