Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #961 of 13,134
Well, 4 months after selling off my beloved LCD-2 rev.1's for the SR-007's, I've reacquired the LCD-2's, the new rev.2 Bamboo version 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I initially sold it as I thought the 007's and LCD-2's were too similar in sound signature... but in the end, I realized that I missed the weight and intimacy of the LCD-2 at times depending on my mood. Though 007's will likely still get most of my listening time, it's great to have these excellent headphones back in my stable. 

As I sold off my WA6SE I'll need to look for a new amp (as it'll be my secondary headphone, I'm not looking to invest TOO much on it...) so I'll likely will go with the trusty economical Lyr.  But for now Objective 2's still does a very good job in amping them.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #962 of 13,134
Quote:
Well, 4 months after selling off my beloved LCD-2 rev.1's for the SR-007's, I've reacquired the LCD-2's, the new rev.2 Bamboo version 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I initially sold it as I thought the 007's and LCD-2's were too similar in sound signature... but in the end, I realized that I missed the weight and intimacy of the LCD-2 at times depending on my mood. Though 007's will likely still get most of my listening time, it's great to have these excellent headphones back in my stable. 

As I sold off my WA6SE I'll need to look for a new amp (as it'll be my secondary headphone, I'm not looking to invest TOO much on it...) so I'll likely will go with the trusty economical Lyr.  But for now Objective 2's still does a very good job in amping them.

I guess in a few weeks we will see you upgrade the amps too;m I dont buy you going with the LYr
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #963 of 13,134
I'm not looking to invest TOO much on it...)

The horror, someone is trying to protect there wallet from headfi. Poor wallet, living under the strict overprotection of its owner.:p

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #964 of 13,134
Just got my new bamboo LCD-2 rev2 from Audeze today! They are amazing to say the least. I am running them thru my schiit asgard/bifrost. My other pair of cans are the Denon D5000's which I "did" love but now after a few hours of listening doing some back and forth comparisons I have a feeling the Denon's will soon be collecting dust. There really isn't a comparison between the two. The LCD-2 basically excel in every aspect compared to the Denon's they are obviously on a totally different level. I was considering the HE-500's prior to purchasing the LCD-2's but after hearing the HE-500's I really wasn't that impressed they didn't have the "beef" the LCD-2's bring to the table. The HE-500's provided a brighter sound but it wasn't fun like the LCD-2. The Audeze's are amazing!

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #965 of 13,134
Quote:
Just got my new bamboo LCD-2 rev2 from Audeze today! They are amazing to say the least. I am running them thru my schiit asgard/bifrost. My other pair of cans are the Denon D5000's which I "did" love but now after a few hours of listening doing some back and forth comparisons I have a feeling the Denon's will soon be collecting dust. There really isn't a comparison between the two. The LCD-2 basically excel in every aspect compared to the Denon's they are obviously on a totally different level. I was considering the HE-500's prior to purchasing the LCD-2's but after hearing the HE-500's I really wasn't that impressed they didn't have the "beef" the LCD-2's bring to the table. The HE-500's provided a brighter sound but it wasn't fun like the LCD-2. The Audeze's are amazing!

Give them 104 hours.
A whole other level.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #966 of 13,134
Quote:
I guess in a few weeks we will see you upgrade the amps too;m I dont buy you going with the LYr
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
The horror, someone is trying to protect there wallet from headfi. Poor wallet, living under the strict overprotection of its owner.
tongue.gif

We'll see 
tongue_smile.gif
 ... I still see myself using 007 a lot more often because they're much more fatigue free sound wise (probably the first headphones ever where I could listen to it for 2+ hours and not fatigue of it at all... likely due to it's lightness, speed and liquid grainless sound) and is more comfortable to wear overall.  They can't do LCD-2's weighty front row in-your-face party presentation type sound though, which I'm in a mood for time to time... but with that kind of presentation my ears do fatigue rather quickly... so we'll see how it goes with the Lyr first.  I do wonder how it'd do vs. my old WA6SE (which amped the rev.1's I had very well).

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #967 of 13,134
Quote:

We'll see 
tongue_smile.gif
 ... I still see myself using 007 a lot more often because they're much more fatigue free sound wise (probably the first headphones ever where I could listen to it for 2+ hours and not fatigue of it at all... likely due to it's lightness, speed and liquid grainless sound) and is more comfortable to wear overall.  They can't do LCD-2's weighty front row in-your-face party presentation type sound though, which I'm in a mood for time to time... but with that kind of presentation my ears do fatigue rather quickly... so we'll see how it goes with the Lyr first.  I do wonder how it'd do vs. my old WA6SE (which amped the rev.1's I had very well).

Follow Frank's advice and don't get a Lyr...

One less person on the market buying vintage valves 
smile.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #968 of 13,134
Quote:

We'll see 
tongue_smile.gif

I will be listening to  the New Taboo Mk 111 and I should have it in house sometime next week. It was designed for the planars but also for other can. Looks interesting and was redesigned from the bottom up. The V200 is also excellent with the V200 and cost much less an outstanding amp IMO. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #970 of 13,134
Quote:
hi guys i have a question how do the lcd2 sound with music like 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSM0v9XcWA  - 

Quiet - Rachael Yamagata

Norah jones, diana krall, massive attack, portishead, trip hop, radiohead, some deftones, flying lotus, perfect circle, some ambient music, chill, sunshine soundtrack, electronic?

thats pretty much what i listen to, alot of female vocals, trip hop, electronic, and some rock, acoustic. im kind of looking for a musical fun headphone, i want the female vocals to blow me away

That's about 80% of what I listen to on my LCD-2 v.1 headphones every day.  The answer is "simply delicious."  These cans were made for Rachael Yamagata & Vienna Teng & Keri Noble & Alison Kraus & ....

Simply spectacular.  I listen at low levels (mostly while working on the computer) and still I get lost in the music and forget to work.  Of course, I have a nice little tube amp for them which adds even more liquidity.  But they really excel at vocals.

My evenings are devoted to speaker listening (planar speakers + classical music) at much higher levels.  If I were listening to that stuff during the day, I'd probably go with HD-800's instead.  Just my $.02

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #971 of 13,134
Quote:

Why not just for a laugh, and at very minimal cost, get a Magni... Instead of the Lyr. You might be surprised. And it will leave just enough change to buy me a present to thank me.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #972 of 13,134
Quote:
Why not just for a laugh, and at very minimal cost, get a Magni... Instead of the Lyr. You might be surprised. And it will leave just enough change to buy me a present to thank me.
bigsmile_face.gif

IMO, of course....and  I am biased.  very biased.

Lyr = worth every penny
Lyr with stock tubes.  Delightful.  The sound-staging of that beast is incredible.
However Lyr allows you to further customize your listening via vintage valves.
So you have the hobby within the hobby.  See Lyr Tube Rolling Thread with 370 pages of posts.

That said,  there is no winner to Tube verses Solid State.  It is a preference.
 I like tubes.  Others hate tubes..... for all kinds of reasons.
 As you may know the Lyr is a hybrid.  SS. Power.  Valves for the Pre Amp.  There is a Lot of Meat on the Bone.  Audeze's are carnivores.

Comparison.  After owning the Lyr for a few months I purchased a Magni / Modi for another area of my house.   There are scores of folks whose wrath I will feel after this statement.  I hated the M/M.  People rave about them.....  Not me with my LCD2's
I could not listen to them.  A hamburger / prime rib thing.  I sold the M/M

I purchased another Bifrost and an Asgard2.   Better.  Very nice.  But not the Lyr.
 The Lyr is magic and it can have many different personalities via many different valves. I don't care what someone wants to call it.  Warm.... Colored....  I don't think so, but so be it.   I love the Lyr and everything it puts through my LCD2's

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #973 of 13,134
Quote:

Lyr = worth every penny
Lyr with stock tubes.  Delightful.  The sound-staging of that beast is incredible.
So you have the hobby within the hobby.  See Lyr Tube Rolling Thread with 370 pages of posts.

As you may know the Lyr is a hybrid.  SS. Power.  Valves for the Pre Amp.  There is a Lot of Meat on the Bone.  Audeze's are carnivores.

Comparison.  After owning the Lyr for a few months I purchased a Magni / Modi for another area of my house.   There are scores of folks whose wrath I will feel after this statement.  I hated the M/M.  People rave about them.....  Not me with my LCD2's

I purchased another Bifrost and an Asgard2.   Better.  Very nice.  But not the Lyr.
 The Lyr is magic and it can have many different personalities via many different valves. I don't care what someone wants to call it.  Warm.... Colored....  I don't think so, but so be it.   I love the Lyr and everything it puts through my LCD2's

As my Lyr should be shipped within the next week or so (and my LCD-2s hopefully tomorrow!), I've been wondering if using low impedance/high efficiency headphones/earphones is advisable. From what I've read and (partially) understand, the Lyr adjusts it's output power accordingly to the headphone connected, but I'd rather not, for example, use my UE900s with it if it's absolutely not going to work well with them.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #974 of 13,134
Quote:
As my Lyr should be shipped within the next week or so (and my LCD-2s hopefully tomorrow!), I've been wondering if using low impedance/high efficiency headphones/earphones is advisable. From what I've read and (partially) understand, the Lyr adjusts it's output power accordingly to the headphone connected, but I'd rather not, for example, use my UE900s with it if it's absolutely not going to work well with them.

Automatically adjusts output power....  not applicable to IEM's
My memory isn's too good, but I think I emailed Jason about IEM's for my Lyr and he said No Way.
I suggest emailing him at info@schiit.com  Most of the time he answers in 30 minutes.... or less

My understanding is a Lyr will smoke'm

Asguard 2 has a gain switch specifically for IEM's

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #975 of 13,134
Quote:

Lyr = worth every penny

^^ This +1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back