Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #931 of 13,139
Quote:
1) Rosewood looks a lot nicer than bamboo... Promo images could suggest otherwise but the newest "version" of rosewood is BEAUTIFUL. All the images of bamboo I have seen so far were "ok", at best...
2) Bamboo is only about 25 g lighter... If you can feel the difference, it's most probably placebo.
3) Rosewood is more exclusive than bamboo (more limited, longer waiting time etc.) so if you want to be clever, get rosewood version ,-)

How good something looks is entirely subjective, heck even the guy you are replying to seems to prefer the looks of the composite bamboo more.

And 25g is A BIG DEAL, especially with 500g+ planar headphones. The neck muscles/tendons will appreciate the lessened weight a lot over time, if the headphones are gonna be used for years. The difference between my HE400 and HE500 in weight might be a bit more (~60g I think), but that difference might as well be 200g because that's how my neck feels swapping from one headphone to the other. So 25g decrease in mass will be a very welcoming thing too.

Won't disagree about exclusivity...although I bet most LCD2s sold are rosewood so, in the second-hand market bamboo is probably more exclusive, heh.

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #932 of 13,139
I have to "weigh in" on a couple points.

I own both rosewood (R1) and Bamboo (R2) LCD2's
I like both of them very much.  The fit finish and craftsmanship of both of are excellent.
The laminated bamboo has a unique striped look.

First 25g =.05 pounds  That's 8 tenths of an ounce.

Second.  Prior to purchasing my Bamboo set I called Audeze and asked about wood hardness
They said the hardness was the same.

There is a scale/test that is used for measuring wood hardness.  It's called the Janka scale.
Below is a wiki link with many wood species.  There are multiple rosewood species and multiple bamboo on the list.
Patagonia Rosewood is exceptionally hard, but I very much doubt this is the species that is used.

Both are very hard.   However when bamboo is laminated, as it is in the HD2's, it is incredibly hard.
Laminated bamboo tests 3000 to 5000 on the Janka scale, red oak (1290); white oak (1360);rock maple (1450); hickory (1820)
That's why laminated beams, "glue lam's,  are used in construction.  They are much stronger than a single piece of wood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test.

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #933 of 13,139
The latest rev2 rosewood is different from rev1 rosewood... Rev2 rosewood looks better than both bamboo and old rosewood, IMHO.

And 25g is A BIG DEAL? LOL... Simply LOL, especially with +500 headphones (or whatever).

Don't agree on exclusivity... In the future, rev1 followed by rev2 rosewood are going to be more exclusive than generic bamboo composite.

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #934 of 13,139
It seems a lot of people take the weight of headphones very seriously.  People just have their own reasons.  I haven't found a headphone yet that's to heavy for me.  That's just me - so I never weigh in (no pun intended) on those conversations.

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #935 of 13,139
Quote:
It seems a lot of people take the weight of headphones very seriously.  People just have their own reasons.  I haven't found a headphone yet that's to heavy for me.  That's just me - so I never weigh in (no pun intended) on those conversations.

I must agree... I do not spend hours in gym and still my neck is very healthy with LCD-2 on my head everyday.

I would say that clamping force is A LOT more important factor. If anyone has problems with that using LCD-2, I DEFINITELY suggest spending time with adjusting the headband since it can really make a BIG difference.

I also find leather pads of rev2 very comfortable and solid on my ears... Not overheat or anything.

Maybe it's just me...

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #936 of 13,139
Quote:
The latest rev2 rosewood is different from rev1 rosewood... Rev2 rosewood looks better than both bamboo and old rosewood, IMHO.

And 25g is A BIG DEAL? LOL... Simply LOL, especially with +500 headphones (or whatever).

Don't agree on exclusivity... In the future, rev1 followed by rev2 rosewood are going to be more exclusive than generic bamboo composite.

Sure, but 25g is not placebo as you implied either.

I don't get the weight thing, either the headphones are too heavy for your puny neck, or
the headphones don't bother you.

And this whole thing of exclusivity is absurd.

It's a simple wood or 'paper'...

IMO.

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #938 of 13,139
Quote:
1) Rosewood looks a lot nicer than bamboo... Promo images could suggest otherwise but the newest "version" of rosewood is BEAUTIFUL. All the images of bamboo I have seen so far were "ok", at best...
2) Bamboo is only about 25 g lighter... If you can feel the difference, it's most probably placebo.
3) Rosewood is more exclusive than bamboo (more limited, longer waiting time etc.) so if you want to be clever, get rosewood version ,-)

4) Rosewood is prone to cracking more than bamboo, yes even with the new connectors.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #939 of 13,139
Quote:
4) Rosewood is prone to cracking more than bamboo, yes even with the new connectors.

Yes, this is the only reason why to ever consider bamboo in my opinion... But I don't care very much honestly, Audeze customer service is excellent.

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #940 of 13,139
Thanks for replying.
I haven't really researched it, so I only went with what I have experienced at first.
My bamboo cutting boards crack every other day and it is a fact that bamboo is not nearly as physically durable as hardwoods.
Also, I used to have a 300+ year old violin which is made out of hardwood and there are no cracks at all.  I would imagine bamboo would crack after a few years just guessing from the looks of the grains on it.. but idk...
And I said theoretically because violins are made out of hardwood, and there are a few bamboo -made ones that all sound like ****.  But i know it doesn't contribute to the sound of these headphones so I said only in theory haha.
But, I don't know much about the construction of headphones, so I'll take your word for it and do a little more research.  I'm glad you told me, because I think the bamboo looks better as well =)

I work on instruments all the time with cracks. They are made from maple, spruce and willow, primarily. All it takes is the instrument getting dry and cold and it will literally tear itself apart. Thick poorly made instruments are usually strong enough to resist that, but the sound is terrible. I have 2 basses in the shop presently with cracks on the ribs 20-30 inches long from this. It's a pain to repair too.

Hardwood is not that durable, get it out of your head.

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #941 of 13,139
I have to "weigh in" on a couple points.

I own both rosewood (R1) and Bamboo (R2) LCD2's
I like both of them very much.  The fit finish and craftsmanship of both of are excellent.
The laminated bamboo has a unique striped look.

First 25g =.05 pounds  That's 8 tenths of an ounce.

Second.  Prior to purchasing my Bamboo set I called Audeze and asked about wood hardness
They said the hardness was the same.

There is a scale/test that is used for measuring wood hardness.  It's called the Janka scale.
Below is a wiki link with many wood species.  There are multiple rosewood species and multiple bamboo on the list.
Patagonia Rosewood is exceptionally hard, but I very much doubt this is the species that is used.

Both are very hard.   However when bamboo is laminated, as it is in the HD2's, it is incredibly hard.
Laminated bamboo tests 3000 to 5000 on the Janka scale, red oak (1290); white oak (1360);rock maple (1450); hickory (1820)
That's why laminated beams, "glue lam's,  are used in construction.  They are much stronger than a single piece of wood.

[COLOR=22229C]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test.[/COLOR]

That's good information, however it truly has nothing to do with the problems Audeze has had with cracking. A laminated material will always be far more resistant to moisture and temperature cracking due to it's inherently flexible nature. It gives but doesn't break, unlike a solid hardwood that simply breaks. Moisture and temperature cracks on LCD2 would actually happen less often if they were to use a softer hardwood because of this.

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #942 of 13,139

I find nothing generic about the interesting-looking bamboo pattern on the LCD-2. I ordered a pair in bamboo because the rosewood just looks bland, and I work with it every day. I don't, however, work with bamboo ever.

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #943 of 13,139
Yeah I don't think the hardness of the wood has much to do with the cracking issues with the Rosewood. If a wood is prone to cracking with temperature or wear it really has nothing to do with how hard it is. The Bamboo is going to be "tougher" because it has many layers squashed together. Believe me it is tough wood!

I like the look of a good set of Rosewoods. But there seems to be too much variation in batches at the moment to guarantee that you'll get a good looking one. With the Bamboo, you pretty much know what they are going to look like before you order.

I wouldn't swap my Bamboos for Rosewood. But then again.. my Bamboos are special
tongue.gif

I would however, love to own a nice set of the original Rev1 Rosewoods as they do have a certain 'je ne sais quoi' ha!

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #945 of 13,139
Quote:
That's good information, however it truly has nothing to do with the problems Audeze has had with cracking. A laminated material will always be far more resistant to moisture and temperature cracking due to it's inherently flexible nature. It gives but doesn't break, unlike a solid hardwood that simply breaks. Moisture and temperature cracks on LCD2 would actually happen less often if they were to use a softer hardwood because of this.

You are correct.
I ain't gonna argue wood with a luthier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back