Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #47 of 13,134

Quote:

That's a really cool picture and neat stuff done with PhotoShop.  Like the amp on both tanks and it looks like me holding the pair of LCD-2's on the tank in the back.

Bose actually know what they're doing with ANC.  They practically invented the technology, and I'm sure, hold patents having to do with anti-noise as applied to a headphone environment.  I can't remember the model number, but back in the day, their first ANC general aviation headset sold for about $1K and was the only game in town for a couple years.  There's a huge market in the military for noise protection for personel.  Think flight deck of an aircraft carrier...  160dBa on deck @ takeoff.  I'll bet it wasn't too quiet inside the tank while under operation and while firing either!

100% true.  Without the ANC I would certainly be deaf by now.  I have to say though they had the same durability issues their consumer products had.

Anyway, so LCD2.  What's the final verdict on the clarity and treble on these things?  Sounded like some people had issues.  What cans would have a similar warmth or temperature? 

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #48 of 13,134

Quote:
100% true.  Without the ANC I would certainly be deaf by now.  I have to say though they had the same durability issues their consumer products had.

Anyway, so LCD2.  What's the final verdict on the clarity and treble on these things?  Sounded like some people had issues.  What cans would have a similar warmth or temperature? 

Glad to know they served a noble purpose: saving the hearing of another headphone fan. 
beerchug.gif

I don't know if there really is a final verdict, since I think different people look for different things as far as treble goes.  Some like it hot.  Some don't.  I find the treble more than reasonable, but I also get fatigued listening to most Grados, so I'm definitely not someone looking for a lot of "sparkle".  Listening to them off of Big Poppa's WA3 (I think it's a 3), they had more treble presence and brightness than off the Stacker I have.  As for clarity, I find them clear and clean, but with enough musicality that they aren't overly analytical.  I'm a bit at a loss as far as cans to compare it to right now, since my extended personal listening time with other cans is limited.

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #49 of 13,134

Quote:

Yep, it's hard to compare them to any other can I've heard.  The bass is more substantial, yet nuanced and uncolored than anything else I've ever heard.  The highs are all there along with all the nuanced detail, but they're not falsely accentuated, they're natural.  The can, overall is well damped, and some may feel over damped.  It comes down to a matter of personal taste.

The voicing of the LCD-2 is very intentional, and not for everybody, but I am one of those whose personal HRTF meshs well with what the LCD-2 presents, and I love it.

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #50 of 13,134

Quote:
Yep, it's hard to compare them to any other can I've heard.  The bass is more substantial, yet nuanced and uncolored than anything else I've ever heard.  The highs are all there along with all the nuanced detail, but they're not falsely accentuated, they're natural.  The can, overall is well damped, and some may feel over damped.  It comes down to a matter of personal taste.

The voicing of the LCD-2 is very intentional, and not for everybody, but I am one of those whose personal HRTF meshs well with what the LCD-2 presents, and I love it.

Ditto.  I personally would not ask for more treble, but am totally aware that some folks would not agree with me.  I said it several times to folks at the Portland meet, but I've found a nice "rest stop" with the current rig I have.  I won't kid myself that it's the final destination or anything, but at this point in time I really don't see myself wanting to get other cans or components except purely to satisfy curiosity.

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #51 of 13,134

Quote:

Final verdict? A bit early to try and build some kind of consensus.

DX 1000 have similar warmth and temperature. As for the treble your ears tune in to it after a awhile so it´s tricky. the T1 for example have much more air and guitars and drums spring to life in another way which is nice sometimes. T1 being more aggressive is more PRaTy the LCD-2 have more of a slower more massive groove fitting their physical presence and signature. Headbanging with the LCD-2 is NOT recommended I can tell you that much :wink: 

The LCD-2s treble is very good hiding flaws. Quality can be good too. Listening to Danas Dragomir pan flute album you see exactly how big difference it´s in the treble from the LCD-2 to the SA 5000, T1, Pro 900 but the LCD-2 surely can sparkle as well.. Truth is somewhere in the middle I believe. The LCD-2 watching TV-series and movies is certainly a bit warm in balance and voices turning slightly to the dark side of things at times.

I have played a bit with my EQ and source changes with quite good results. But I love this balance for music listening. It´s hard to find things that really distracts from the music.

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #54 of 13,134

Quote:
I preordered LCD2 1.5 month ago. But except for the first one, they never replied my email. Very very disappointed about the services

They are swamped I am sure, but the wait and having patience is well worth it.  If you got a response from the first one you are on the list, it took me a couple of months to get mine.  Hang in there man, a watched pot never boils.  

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #55 of 13,134
Does anyone know why there are 4 connectors on EACH side of the LCD-2? Are they all needed? If so what do they connect to? 

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #56 of 13,134
Small shop means using a lot of components made elsewhere.  They are just standard mini xlr connectors I believe.  Readily available so cable companies should have an easy time making aftermarket ones.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #57 of 13,134

Quote:
Small shop means using a lot of components made elsewhere.  They are just standard mini xlr connectors I believe.  Readily available so cable companies should have an easy time making aftermarket ones.

Yes but why is it 4-pin: are all 4-pins needed? For a normal pair of headphones, you only need signal and ground on each side.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #58 of 13,134
Its 4 pin because mini xlr is 4 pin =P  Even if all four are wired its academic, it eventually rejoins to just 2 for the driver.  Guessing no one has gutted theirs to see how its wired internally.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #59 of 13,134
I was kind of wondering this myself, I have some 3-pin mini XLR connectors that are a no go for the LCD-2
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #60 of 13,134

Quote:
Does anyone know why there are 4 connectors on EACH side of the LCD-2? Are they all needed? If so what do they connect to? 

Two connector pins per conductor for better current transfer...less I/R loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back