Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
May 30, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #11,926 of 13,140
Thanks for the very informative reply! So they aren't microsuede like the originals? Very disappointing, but glad to hear they are at least more durable.

Are they any more comfortable than the lambskin?

May 30, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #11,927 of 13,140
Definitely not microsuede. I wasn’t a big fan of the look of those but I might be in the minority.

When I bought the LCD2 used the original pads were pretty worn so the new non-leather were obviously more comfortable. With the original pads my ears would touch the felt over the Fazors. The new pads are firmer and thicker so my ears are now nowhere close.

Despite the new non-leather being thicker than the new leather I can’t tell much of a difference in comfort.

May 30, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #11,928 of 13,140
Microsuede were brilliant for summer to avoid "swimming pool ears".
Indispensable and super plush/comfy.

Jun 18, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #11,932 of 13,140
LCD-2 Worn Pads.jpg So this is what my LCD-2 pads look like after more than 5 years of constant use - nearly every day. If you said they looked a little bit light on the padding you wouldn't be wrong. On a related note, I can't praise the durability of these headphones enough after having pairs of Denons and HiFimans disintegrate on me in less than a year each (no, I wasn't mistreating them). Aside from the pads, my LCD-2s still look and sound practically like new and they get my highest build quality recommendation for anyone who doesn't own them yet but might be interested.

Back on topic, I'm in the market for replacement pads, and I was hoping for some opinions on the different types of replacement pads out there, how comfy they are, how well they breathe, how they affect the sound, etc. So, for any and all pad aficionados out there, I'm humbly requesting some advice. Thanks!

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #11,933 of 13,140
So this is what my LCD-2 pads look like after more than 5 years of constant use - nearly every day. If you said they looked a little bit light on the padding you wouldn't be wrong. On a related note, I can't praise the durability of these headphones enough after having pairs of Denons and HiFimans disintegrate on me in less than a year each (no, I wasn't mistreating them). Aside from the pads, my LCD-2s still look and sound practically like new and they get my highest build quality recommendation for anyone who doesn't own them yet but might be interested.

Back on topic, I'm in the market for replacement pads, and I was hoping for some opinions on the different types of replacement pads out there, how comfy they are, how well they breathe, how they affect the sound, etc. So, for any and all pad aficionados out there, I'm humbly requesting some advice. Thanks!

I switched to Dekoni hybrid pads after trying them on an LCD-4 at a meet last year. As a glasses wearer, they improved comfort and sealed better for me. The memory foam in the Dekoni pads also has less give than the stock Audeze ones (not sure about the newest Audeze iterations, mine is a 2016 version). After swapping, I felt like I was hearing a larger stage (likely due to the new pads holding the drivers farther away) with better bass extension and impact (better seal). The changes weren't stark for me, but present. The velour on the face of the pad is also softer to touch and a little more breathable so overall I'm pretty happy with the hybrid pads. Hope this helps!

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #11,934 of 13,140
I switched to Dekoni hybrid pads after trying them on an LCD-4 at a meet last year. As a glasses wearer, they improved comfort and sealed better for me. The memory foam in the Dekoni pads also has less give than the stock Audeze ones (not sure about the newest Audeze iterations, mine is a 2016 version). After swapping, I felt like I was hearing a larger stage (likely due to the new pads holding the drivers farther away) with better bass extension and impact (better seal). The changes weren't stark for me, but present. The velour on the face of the pad is also softer to touch and a little more breathable so overall I'm pretty happy with the hybrid pads. Hope this helps!
That was very helpful, thanks!

Jun 19, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #11,935 of 13,140
So this is what my LCD-2 pads look like after more than 5 years of constant use - nearly every day. If you said they looked a little bit light on the padding you wouldn't be wrong. On a related note, I can't praise the durability of these headphones enough after having pairs of Denons and HiFimans disintegrate on me in less than a year each (no, I wasn't mistreating them). Aside from the pads, my LCD-2s still look and sound practically like new and they get my highest build quality recommendation for anyone who doesn't own them yet but might be interested.

I have not used the Dekoni on Audeze but I do have them on my Focal and I think they are good and comfortable. I do however have an LCD-2 and LCD-3 with the new non-leather and leather pads respectively. The new pads have very firm memory foam so they should last a lot longer than the older versions. Even with everyday use I can't imagine that you would have to replace them in 5 years.

I think they are both good choices. The leather pads are a bit softer and shinier where the non-leather have a matte finish but don't require any maintenance or conditioning. The non-leather are a tiny bit thicker and push the driver further away from your ears - as you can see in one of the comparison photos on Moon-audio - https://www.moon-audio.com/audeze-lcd-deluxe-earpads.html
image.png
I personally like the non-leather a bit better because of maintenance and I think they are a bit cooler (temperature-wise - I live in AZ) but the leather do look nicer.

Jun 19, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #11,936 of 13,140
I have not used the Dekoni on Audeze but I do have them on my Focal and I think they are good and comfortable. I do however have an LCD-2 and LCD-3 with the new non-leather and leather pads respectively. The new pads have very firm memory foam so they should last a lot longer than the older versions. Even with everyday use I can't imagine that you would have to replace them in 5 years.

I think they are both good choices. The leather pads are a bit softer and shinier where the non-leather have a matte finish but don't require any maintenance or conditioning. The non-leather are a tiny bit thicker and push the driver further away from your ears - as you can see in one of the comparison photos on Moon-audio - https://www.moon-audio.com/audeze-lcd-deluxe-earpads.html

I personally like the non-leather a bit better because of maintenance and I think they are a bit cooler (temperature-wise - I live in AZ) but the leather do look nicer.
Thanks to you as well! I did quite a bit of research on the Dekoni pads from the previous post, and I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on them for a few reasons. There aren't many reviews, and the few that I read had wildly different impressions about their effects on sound signature and quality - though pretty much everyone agreed they were very comfortable. I also read a lengthy post from an acoustic engineer who bought fenestrated sheepskin Dekoni pads for his HD800 and said they sapped all of the bass away from them. He had to fix the issue with heavy EQ (something I'm not currently interested in). He posted measurements to back up his claims, and they were *far* different from the measurements posted on Dekoni's own site for the same HD800/earpad combo, which makes me a little bit suspicious of Dekoni's claims in general until more data is out. Here's the post for reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/83q0j9/dekoni_earpads_for_sennheiser_hd_800_s_with/

Additionally, the inner diameter of the regular, non-fenestrated sheepskin Dekoni pads seems to be quite a bit smaller than the originals, which another reviewer claimed also significantly muted the bass on their LCD-2. This post isn't meant to throw Dekoni under the bus or contradict anyone who has the pads and enjoys them - I just don't want to take the risk until there's more of a consensus about their effects on sound quality.

That said, I think I'm going to settle with those leather pads from Moon Audio - they seem like the best choice for not changing the sound signature and the memory foam should be a nice durable upgrade to replace my original worn down pads. Thanks again for the suggestions :)

Jun 23, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #11,939 of 13,140
anyone have a frequency graph of the most current lcd2 with fazor and a graph of the lcd2 classic for comparison? i am trying to find the differences between them

or if anyone happens to know the differences between them if you could just tell me that would work too

please and thanks

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #11,940 of 13,140
anyone have a frequency graph of the most current lcd2 with fazor and a graph of the lcd2 classic for comparison? i am trying to find the differences between them

or if anyone happens to know the differences between them if you could just tell me that would work too

please and thanks
From what I've read the lcd2f sounds more natural and organic with a bit more treble and detail than the 2c's. The 2c's are a little less fatiguing due to less treble quantity, are a little more mid-forward, and a little more dynamic overall. The treble is suppose to be slightly harsh though, a little peaky.

Not really much of a difference overall, I'd go for the 2c's, they are a little cheaper, and with no wood there's no chance of cracking. Especially if you go the used route, any lcd2c is bound to have at least a little driver warranty left.

Here's a graph, 2c's are red and 2f's are green, though I'm not sure what year the 2f is. They have made small changes over the lifespan of the lcd2f's

https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/lcd2f-vs-lcd2classic.png?w=614

Users who are viewing this thread

Back