Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #11,896 of 13,132
Hello fellow head-fiers,

After close to 4 months with the LCD-2s i just wanted to drop by and give a big shout out to @Audeze for them. God i can never get enough listening with these. I can't recall listening to even one song that i didn't like how it sounds on them (even if i don't like the song per se). I've sold my Amirons to a close friend and from time to time, i get to listen to them, just for reminders' sake and I literally can't *love* or *like* them or any other pair of headphones, anymore. I'm sometimes gone over night, with work and the first thing i do when i get back home, after a quick shower, is to throw these marvels on my head and just let the music flow. Sometimes i even get up at night just to listen to a few songs then i fall back to sleep. Holy crap these headphones are so good sounding. So good that it actually made my wife cry while listening to them.. I left her at my desk, headphones on, playing a song she loves since she was a teenager. Went out to grab some snacks from the kitchen and when i came back, here she was, at my desk, in tears, laughing and crying at the same time, looking and me and after pausing the song, asking me: "Do you feel the same?"...it sure is but i guess she realized that from the smile i offered as an answer. And she got to listen to each and every pair of headphones i've ever owned or tested.

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #11,897 of 13,132
Hello fellow head-fiers,

After close to 4 months with the LCD-2s i just wanted to drop by and give a big shout out to @Audeze for them. God i can never get enough listening with these. I can't recall listening to even one song that i didn't like how it sounds on them (even if i don't like the song per se). I've sold my Amirons to a close friend and from time to time, i get to listen to them, just for reminders' sake and I literally can't *love* or *like* them or any other pair of headphones, anymore. I'm sometimes gone over night, with work and the first thing i do when i get back home, after a quick shower, is to throw these marvels on my head and just let the music flow. Sometimes i even get up at night just to listen to a few songs then i fall back to sleep. Holy **** these headphones are so good sounding. So good that it actually made my wife cry while listening to them.. I left her at my desk, headphones on, playing a song she loves since she was a teenager. Went out to grab some snacks from the kitchen and when i came back, here she was, at my desk, in tears, laughing and crying at the same time, looking and me and after pausing the song, asking me: "Do you feel the same?"...it sure is but i guess she realized that from the smile i offered as an answer. And she got to listen to each and every pair of headphones i've ever owned or tested.
Be interested to know what sort of files you are playing and what kind of amp you are using (and any other factors such as EQ settings) to get this blissful experience with the LCD-2s. not that I am doubting what you say, because it is certainly a very likely response, but just need more detail. Thanks.

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #11,898 of 13,132
Be interested to know what sort of files you are playing and what kind of amp you are using (and any other factors such as EQ settings) to get this blissful experience with the LCD-2s. not that I am doubting what you say, because it is certainly a very likely response, but just need more detail. Thanks.
My setup *was*: Foobar 2k ( all types of audio files, from 192kbps mp3 to DSD256) -> Aune T1se ->DIY SS Amp (made by a friend) -> LCD 2. The amp has gone to heavens and now i'm relying solely on the amp part of the Aune. But, as i've wrote in different threads too, i think i won the lottery. I used the Aune with the EH tube it came with and it was...underwhelming, to say the least. Snagged a couple of tubes from different places, the highest rated being a russian 6n23p. That, too, didn't make that much of a difference. Then, one day, i came across someone who was selling an E88CC Valvo. The price was incredibly small (50$) so after packing the Aune for the road, off i went to test it. You would probably not believe me but the second i plugged in the Valvo and played the first song, i felt like i was listening to a totally different setup. Mind you, this was on my previous Amirons, i didn't have the LCDs at that time. I do some tube rolling, occasionally, just to remind myself of the astronomic difference one small tube can make. A couple of fellow head-fiers helped me discover that i managed to get the cca version of this tube, of which i've heard that is one of the rarest out there. Whenever i plug in a different tube, i feel like i'm listening to a pair of 20$ cans. That's how huge the difference is. And if anyone ever happens to come through Romania, Sibiu, i'd be more than happy to offer a cup of hot coffee and an audition.

I know people fret at the sound of onboard audio amplification but the solution that comes with Gigabyte's Z270x Gaming 7 is, as reviewed by several outlets, quite high quality. All in all, in my case, i'm pretty sure that tube is what makes these LCD 2s sound like f*cking audio nirvana. And i've tested them on a Chord Mojo, Burson Soloist Mk2, micro iDSD black label and a Conductor V2. Now, as far as power goes, there's no comparison between the Bursons, for example, and the crappy amp section of the T1se. It's the sound itself that's literally leagues above any of the above mentioned solutions. I know i'd probably get an even better sound if i'd add another dedicated amp, to replace my old, now dead, amp. But i don't need to :)

Edit: I have *zero* EQ-ing done. I'm more of a purist when it comes to sound and i tend to leave the hardware as it is because one of my principles is that if a product needs additional tinkering to get the sound i *want* from it then that product is not for me (happened with the HD800S, for example).

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #11,899 of 13,132
My setup *was*: Foobar 2k ( all types of audio files, from 192kbps mp3 to DSD256) -> Aune T1se ->DIY SS Amp (made by a friend) -> LCD 2. The amp has gone to heavens and now i'm relying solely on the amp part of the Aune. But, as i've wrote in different threads too, i think i won the lottery. I used the Aune with the EH tube it came with and it was...underwhelming, to say the least. Snagged a couple of tubes from different places, the highest rated being a russian 6n23p. That, too, didn't make that much of a difference. Then, one day, i came across someone who was selling an E88CC Valvo. The price was incredibly small (50$) so after packing the Aune for the road, off i went to test it. You would probably not believe me but the second i plugged in the Valvo and played the first song, i felt like i was listening to a totally different setup. Mind you, this was on my previous Amirons, i didn't have the LCDs at that time. I do some tube rolling, occasionally, just to remind myself of the astronomic difference one small tube can make. A couple of fellow head-fiers helped me discover that i managed to get the cca version of this tube, of which i've heard that is one of the rarest out there. Whenever i plug in a different tube, i feel like i'm listening to a pair of 20$ cans. That's how huge the difference is. And if anyone ever happens to come through Romania, Sibiu, i'd be more than happy to offer a cup of hot coffee and an audition.

I know people fret at the sound of onboard audio amplification but the solution that comes with Gigabyte's Z270x Gaming 7 is, as reviewed by several outlets, quite high quality. All in all, in my case, i'm pretty sure that tube is what makes these LCD 2s sound like f*cking audio nirvana. And i've tested them on a Chord Mojo, Burson Soloist Mk2, micro iDSD black label and a Conductor V2. Now, as far as power goes, there's no comparison between the Bursons, for example, and the crappy amp section of the T1se. It's the sound itself that's literally leagues above any of the above mentioned solutions. I know i'd probably get an even better sound if i'd add another dedicated amp, to replace my old, now dead, amp. But i don't need to :)

Edit: I have *zero* EQ-ing done. I'm more of a purist when it comes to sound and i tend to leave the hardware as it is because one of my principles is that if a product needs additional tinkering to get the sound i *want* from it then that product is not for me (happened with the HD800S, for example).
I am not sure if it is tube/not tube. IMO it is synergy most of all regardless the amp design. I have recently had the opportunity to review the iFi Pro iCan, Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum and Questyle CMA 600i paired with the Pro iDSD, Chord 2Qute and Chord Qutest.

To my surprise the CMA600i sounded more tube-like than both the Liquid Platinum and the Pro iCan in tube mode. By tube-like I mean a sweet, liquid, smooth, thick and lifelike sound which is the most obvious at the sweet and scrumptious presentation of vocals. The LP was sweet and liquid but thin, the Pro iCan lacked life even in tube mode.

So, to my surprise the SS CMA600i was the sweetest and thickest. I have to add that this is not a usual SS amp but a current mode amp which probably makes a difference. As we all know, Audeze planars love current more than voltage. I think this must have something to do with synergy in this case.

Anyway, I have got the LCD2C vs. the LCD2 but I am very happy with it. I haven't tried other LCD2s but I know it is only personal preference and from what I read I'd probably prefer the 2C with my music. HEXV2 is arriving soon just to test a different flavour vs. my current favourite.

It is always good to read honest enthusiastic comments like yours. For most audio-enthusiasts satisfaction doesn't last long. The itch is constant. :)

I tend to anchor down with one headphone for quite a while until I find a new one. But that doesn't mean I am not buying others to try to dethrone my current favourite. LCD2C has dethroned my NightHawks which was my favourite for more than a year, Focal Clear has lost against the 2C (for my music and sound preference). Now the HEXV2 will have a go. It is like a box championship. :)

Mar 9, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #11,900 of 13,132
I am not sure if it is tube/not tube. IMO it is synergy most of all regardless the amp design. I have recently had the opportunity to review the iFi Pro iCan, Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum and Questyle CMA 600i paired with the Pro iDSD, Chord 2Qute and Chord Qutest.

To my surprise the CMA600i sounded more tube-like than both the Liquid Platinum and the Pro iCan in tube mode. By tube-like I mean a sweet, liquid, smooth, thick and lifelike sound which is the most obvious at the sweet and scrumptious presentation of vocals. The LP was sweet and liquid but thin, the Pro iCan lacked life even in tube mode.

So, to my surprise the SS CMA600i was the sweetest and thickest. I have to add that this is not a usual SS amp but a current mode amp which probably makes a difference. As we all know, Audeze planars love current more than voltage. I think this must have something to do with synergy in this case.

Anyway, I have got the LCD2C vs. the LCD2 but I am very happy with it. I haven't tried other LCD2s but I know it is only personal preference and from what I read I'd probably prefer the 2C with my music. HEXV2 is arriving soon just to test a different flavour vs. my current favourite.

It is always good to read honest enthusiastic comments like yours. For most audio-enthusiasts satisfaction doesn't last long. The itch is constant. :)

I tend to anchor down with one headphone for quite a while until I find a new one. But that doesn't mean I am not buying others to try to dethrone my current favourite. LCD2C has dethroned my NightHawks which was my favourite for more than a year, Focal Clear has lost against the 2C (for my music and sound preference). Now the HEXV2 will have a go. It is like a box championship. :)

I was on the verge of buying a dedicated amp for the LCD 2s and i was literally hovering over the "Add to cart" button for days until i decided i do not want to go down that rabbit hole...yet. Since my DIY amp died, the idea caught life again but it seems i can control it, for the moment. I used to dangle into music production for a while (have abandoned it for close to 4 years now...) and i always had this crazy dream of listening to music on this pair of magical, yet to be discovered, headphones and that they'll make any song sound at least good. I followed up on this dream when creating and/or remixing music and i learned to settle with what i got (as far as how the final project would have sounded, on my then current pair of headphones). This part of my education makes me a tad more easy to be satisfied, regarding the audio line / setup (my first project ever was made using a pair of ~7$ Hyundai headphones :) ). It seems that with the LCD 2s i managed to find that pair of magical headphones. I know there are objectively better pairs out there and i honestly do not wish to ever audition them. Not because of the urge but because of the mental stability i managed to obtain with these.

Mar 9, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #11,901 of 13,132
I was on the verge of buying a dedicated amp for the LCD 2s and i was literally hovering over the "Add to cart" button for days until i decided i do not want to go down that rabbit hole...yet. Since my DIY amp died, the idea caught life again but it seems i can control it, for the moment. I used to dangle into music production for a while (have abandoned it for close to 4 years now...) and i always had this crazy dream of listening to music on this pair of magical, yet to be discovered, headphones and that they'll make any song sound at least good. I followed up on this dream when creating and/or remixing music and i learned to settle with what i got (as far as how the final project would have sounded, on my then current pair of headphones). This part of my education makes me a tad more easy to be satisfied, regarding the audio line / setup (my first project ever was made using a pair of ~7$ Hyundai headphones :) ). It seems that with the LCD 2s i managed to find that pair of magical headphones. I know there are objectively better pairs out there and i honestly do not wish to ever audition them. Not because of the urge but because of the mental stability i managed to obtain with these.
Something I can respect. My curiosity always proves to be stronger than my desired mental stability. However sticking to one pair of headphones for more than a year is already quite rare in this community where people sell&buy headphones after 10hrs of use and keeping 12 headphones at home for certain scenarios.
I agree that the LCD2s are special whatever variant we are talking about. I think, these will mark a milestone in headphone evolution like the HD600/650 do. These sound musical, big, non-fatiguing with excellent bass. Pretty much what I need from a headphone regardless of price.

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #11,902 of 13,132
I just use materials that I have lying around: a couple of clips and some yoga mat material attaches my LCD-2 to the window sill in my music area (image 2 and 3). For my Nightowls and Nighthawks, I used some old bed legs, a piece of oak flooring, and some yoga mat (plus a cat thing that I found) (image 1). Total cost = nothing at all. Appearance? Works for me...

sorry but is this shedua or rosewood..??

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #11,904 of 13,132
Hi, I've recently bought lcd2c in a good condition. I love the bottomless punchy bass and its non-fatiguing tonality. However I have a feeling the drivers are more capable (imaging, detail) and I want to try to put 3D printed fazors. Anyone has some experience with trying this mod on lcd2, or even comparing fazor vs non-fazor lcd2? I've seen only a few impressions so far.

3D model available here (measurements of lcd2 by BMF included).
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/waveguide-for-lcd2-2ad2680119914de69ab8fb7dfeaedd28
- all credits to zgliszcz

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #11,905 of 13,132
Hi, I've recently bought lcd2c in a good condition. I love the bottomless punchy bass and its non-fatiguing tonality. However I have a feeling the drivers are more capable (imaging, detail) and I want to try to put 3D printed fazors. Anyone has some experience with trying this mod on lcd2, or even comparing fazor vs non-fazor lcd2? I've seen only a few impressions so far.

3D model available here (measurements of lcd2 by BMF included).
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/waveguide-for-lcd2-2ad2680119914de69ab8fb7dfeaedd28
- all credits to zgliszcz
BMF compared before and after favourably on a 2.1 or 2.2...it was near the sketchfab post or next page

Mar 28, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #11,906 of 13,132
And I just got them today woot!

Mar 29, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #11,909 of 13,132
Undoubtably and now they have replaced my Mobius headphones for everyday listening in and out of the house. The Mobius guys are now tethering for video game streaming, etc. only.

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #11,910 of 13,132
Undoubtably and now they have replaced my Mobius headphones for everyday listening in and out of the house. The Mobius guys are now tethering for video game streaming, etc. only.
I'd find it really hard to take my LCD-2 anywhere, they are just too heavy and slide off with very little movement on my part, also I don't have portable gear (DAP or phone) that will drive my LCD-2 like any of my desktop amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back