Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #11,866 of 13,139
How do the LCD-2F 2018 compare to the DT 1990 Pro/Focal Elex; have the DT 1990 Pro's.. looking to either compliment or replace the DT 1990's with a more relaxed set of cans for listening sessions/gaming. About 80% listening/20% gaming.

Already have K7XX and HD58X, so if I get rid of the 1990's, I still have gaming cans.

DAC - Geshelli Labs Enog2 Pro
Amp - Massdrop x THX AAA 789
I have both and think they compliment each other nicely. Assuming you're looking for two pretty different things. First, comfort. The LCD2 is on the heavy side, but I find it's pads to be the most comfy I've owned. As long as you don't have neck issues you should be ok there. Sound is very different between the two. LCD2 is more laid back, not sure how well it works for gaming because frankly I've never used it for such. The 1990 is more detail oriented. I find myself going for the Audeze when I'm more in a relax and chill mood, and the Beyers for when I really want to explore music. I'm not even going to pretend to be any kind of audio expert, but hopefully I've helped you out a little.

Dec 25, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #11,867 of 13,139
I have both and think they compliment each other nicely. Assuming you're looking for two pretty different things. First, comfort. The LCD2 is on the heavy side, but I find it's pads to be the most comfy I've owned. As long as you don't have neck issues you should be ok there. Sound is very different between the two. LCD2 is more laid back, not sure how well it works for gaming because frankly I've never used it for such. The 1990 is more detail oriented. I find myself going for the Audeze when I'm more in a relax and chill mood, and the Beyers for when I really want to explore music. I'm not even going to pretend to be any kind of audio expert, but hopefully I've helped you out a little.

Thanks. That actually helped a lot. Just ordered the 2018 LCD-2's in bamboo. Will see how I like them.

Yeah, I still love the DT 1990's.. Loved em when I first got them. And thought they were gonna be my daily drivers, but they seem to have become a bit fatiguing.. Or maybe its because of the THX 789 amp I got in.. And now it might be overly analytical because I've been preferring the HD58X more..

So, I'm just wondering if maybe the LCD2's will be better.. And if I should just return the DT 1990's or maybe I'll end up keeping both. One for detail and one for relaxed listening.

Dec 25, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #11,868 of 13,139
Thanks. That actually helped a lot. Just ordered the 2018 LCD-2's in bamboo. Will see how I like them.

Yeah, I still love the DT 1990's.. Loved em when I first got them. And thought they were gonna be my daily drivers, but they seem to have become a bit fatiguing.. Or maybe its because of the THX 789 amp I got in.. And now it might be overly analytical because I've been preferring the HD58X more..

So, I'm just wondering if maybe the LCD2's will be better.. And if I should just return the DT 1990's or maybe I'll end up keeping both. One for detail and one for relaxed listening.
Another thing is the Audeze are darker sounding. I know the treble can get to people with the 1990s, but it hasn't bothered me yet. The Audeze lack that level of treble, but as such they also lack the detail it can bring. They have a nice amount of bass but aren't really bass cannons. They might sound slightly more open than the Beyers, but it's not like you're listening to HD598s or the like. I think considering what you're looking for they should work pretty well. But remember, give them time when you get them, and then go back & forth between the 2 and give that time as well. I've had cans I just don't like, but then I've also had some I didn't initially like but eventually something clicked and I "got it".

Dec 25, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #11,869 of 13,139
Another thing is the Audeze are darker sounding. I know the treble can get to people with the 1990s, but it hasn't bothered me yet. The Audeze lack that level of treble, but as such they also lack the detail it can bring. They have a nice amount of bass but aren't really bass cannons. They might sound slightly more open than the Beyers, but it's not like you're listening to HD598s or the like. I think considering what you're looking for they should work pretty well. But remember, give them time when you get them, and then go back & forth between the 2 and give that time as well. I've had cans I just don't like, but then I've also had some I didn't initially like but eventually something clicked and I "got it".

Any experience with the LCD-X's? Just saw a review on those.. And am considering maybe getting those as a replacement for the 1990's? From the review seems like a similar sound signature with a bit less brightness.

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #11,870 of 13,139
Any experience with the LCD-X's? Just saw a review on those.. And am considering maybe getting those as a replacement for the 1990's? From the review seems like a similar sound signature with a bit less brightness.
The only experience I had with them was testing them out the day I bought my LCD2s. Totally from memory here. They had a more intense sound than the LCD2, like, the drums had a sharper sounding slam to them. The highs were a little more prevalent. Not to the point the 1990s are, but closer for sure. The other thing i remember was them being noticeably heavier to wear. Which is another reason I went with the LCD2s, they were heavy enough as it was. I do have a bad disc in my neck, and the thought of wearing the LCD-X over any amount of time made me wince in anticipation.

Dec 26, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #11,871 of 13,139
The only experience I had with them was testing them out the day I bought my LCD2s. Totally from memory here. They had a more intense sound than the LCD2, like, the drums had a sharper sounding slam to them. The highs were a little more prevalent. Not to the point the 1990s are, but closer for sure. The other thing i remember was them being noticeably heavier to wear. Which is another reason I went with the LCD2s, they were heavy enough as it was. I do have a bad disc in my neck, and the thought of wearing the LCD-X over any amount of time made me wince in anticipation.

Thanks for your help. I ordered the LCD-X's.
One thing I'm hoping for is the weight of the LCD's not to be an issue. Would hate for that to be the killer if sound quality turns out to be what I'm looking for.

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #11,872 of 13,139
Decided on the LCD-2.
(The 2C and X were too bright and clinical for me)
I've been recommended the Heed Canamp to run them which I'll get to hear next week.
Can anyone recommend another amp in the £200-£400 price bracket that works wonders with the LCD2?
Cheers!

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #11,874 of 13,139
I like the iFi Black Label with mine.

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #11,875 of 13,139
Depending on what DAC you've got upstream, the Chord Mojo has more than enough power and may offer an improvement on your existing DAC? Its portability also offers lots of other potential uses.
I have a Mojo. Do you feel the Canamp would not offer anything more over the Mono amp stage?

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #11,877 of 13,139
Do you know how the iFi Black Label compares with the iFi micro ICAN SE (as far as the headphone amp goes)?

Only on paper, unfortunately. If you need a semi-portable AIO, the Black Label is the way to go though.

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #11,879 of 13,139
I like the iFi Black Label with mine.
Already have the Mojo and Vorzüge Pure II+, so looking for a more dedicated desktop amp.

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #11,880 of 13,139
Already have the Mojo and Vorzüge Pure II+, so looking for a more dedicated desktop amp.

Like you I just bought an LCD-2 (Used Fazor version from Ebay) and I spent a few hours listing to it last night with a Massdrop Cavalli Liquid Carbon X and it sounds fantastic. It has tons of power especially running balanced and is available for $299 USD (not sure the translation to Pounds) and ships immediately. I believe Massdrop will ship to the UK.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-alex-cavalli-liquid-carbon-x-amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back