Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #11,836 of 13,139
My memory might not be serving me that well at the moment but they sound totally different compared to those i've auditioned half a year ago. Has @Audeze changed something? As far as i'm concerned, they sound *way* better than what i was expecting!

Only a few months ago an Audeze rep told me: ''there have been no significant revisions that affected the sound signature of the headphones since 2016.'' In the same message: ''we make small incremental changes to nearly every batch of headphones we make in either sonics, reliability or efficiency..... Over time these changes can add up to larger differences that may be noticeable when comparing older and newer examples.''

If the LCD from May was with the older type headband it could have been in the dealer's stock as far back as 2016 which actually happened to me once. So the farther back the more obvious changes is a possible explanation here.

Dec 5, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #11,837 of 13,139
Only a few months ago an Audeze rep told me: ''there have been no significant revisions that affected the sound signature of the headphones since 2016.'' In the same message: ''we make small incremental changes to nearly every batch of headphones we make in either sonics, reliability or efficiency..... Over time these changes can add up to larger differences that may be noticeable when comparing older and newer examples.''

If the LCD from May was with the older type headband it could have been in the dealer's stock as far back as 2016 which actually happened to me once. So the farther back the more obvious changes is a possible explanation here.

It was their on display unit and yes, it had the older type of headband. Again, it happened 6 or so months ago and i can't exactly remember how those headphones sounded (in detail) but the ones i just received are literally, for me, perfect in sound. The exact amount of bass, mids and treble that i *need*. Let it be noted that i'm highly sensitive to treble and i found the HD800S unbearable with 95% of the music i normally listen to while the MDR-Z7s were way too bassy for my tastes (and very resonant but i guess that's the nature of closed backs).

Dec 5, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #11,839 of 13,139
In that case my guess is it's probably way more in what setup you were listening to at the dealer's vs your own home setup than in incremental changes.

I might be mistaking but i think the dealer had a Cambridge Audio amp... what i know for certain is that i was listening in balanced mode while at home, i'm only able to listen in SE mode. I mentioned this on other threads too but i think i may have been lucky with this one tube i got. My home chain is Desktop Computer (foobar2k)->Aune T1se->DIY amp. The Aune has an E88CC Valvo tube which from the moment i've first used it, brought light to my music (on several other headphones, like Amiron Home, HD600 and up to 1 out of 10 songs, the HD800S).. but the way this pairs with the LCD-2 is simply breathtaking ... Either way, i'm on the Audeze hype train and as far as i'm concerned, these are my end-game. I'm positive that there are other headphones out there which offer *subjectively* better SQ but given the fact that i have this constant urge to smile / laugh while listening to music, my journey ends here.

One more question, before i retire to the warmth of my fireplace to enjoy music till the ends of time... i think (and feel) that it's time to upgrade my trusty, old amp.. it has served me well for ~6 years but i would really like to try these phones in balanced mode. I have been eyeing the Klipsch heritate amplifier (for design as well as for specs; although it outputs a rather weak 525mW into 16Ω, from there on to 32 and 150Ω it outputs 1440 and 1050 mW, respectively). Has anyone, by chance, had to chance to test these 2 together? Or even the amp by itself.. it's rather cumbersome for me to travel ~350 km to test it. Thanks in advance!

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #11,840 of 13,139
Screenshot_20181205-123553.png
hi guys.
this is the answer i got from audeze.
as soon as i got my lcd2 2018 i noticed that it was very different from the 2016 version and it was very similar to the lcd2classic i had so i wrote to audeze asking why.
i had the 2.2 too as long as the closed version. lcd2 2.2 is VERY different from lcd2 classic. it is harder to drive and darker. lcd2c is more neutral comparing to lcd2 2.2.
i didn't find all those differences between lcd2classic and lcd2 2018 version (the one with the new head band etc).
don' ask me what gear i had because i don't remember. i think it was audio gd r2r 11 with lcd2 classic and audio gd nfb1 with lcd2 2018.

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #11,842 of 13,139
1 question for audeze LCD2 owners.i am planning to buy this headphone and use it with the massdrop linear THX AAA AMP and either a topping or ifi dac.I will mainly use it for modern music with some old music here n there. With genres from hip-hop to rock,metal,edm. But my question is how do this sound with gaming . I just need to know if they have a big enough and accurate sound stage
While my LCD-2f is decent for gaming its way too heavy for any extended listening for me and I really only use my HD700 for gaming, way better sound stage / positional audio, better dynamics, light weight and very comfortable. Its also a bit easier to drive from sound cards from what I've found.

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #11,843 of 13,139
While my LCD-2f is decent for gaming its way too heavy for any extended listening for me and I really only use my HD700 for gaming, way better sound stage / positional audio, better dynamics, light weight and very comfortable. Its also a bit easier to drive from sound cards from what I've found.
Better dynamics? Can you explain more? I find it hard to believe HD700 has better dynamics than an Audeze, though I have never heard the newer iteration of 2F.

Soundstage is never a planar's strength anyway. They offer different things. Audeze would slaughter HD700 in bass goodness though. But yeah, if you are into competitive gaming, then HD700 soundstage and lightweight would make much more sense.

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #11,844 of 13,139
Better dynamics? Can you explain more? I find it hard to believe HD700 has better dynamics than an Audeze, though I have never heard the newer iteration of 2F.

Soundstage is never a planar's strength anyway. They offer different things. Audeze would slaughter HD700 in bass goodness though. But yeah, if you are into competitive gaming, then HD700 soundstage and lightweight would make much more sense.
Using a sound card the LCD-2f is quite boring/lifeless (lacks dynamics - range between loudest and softest) since most sound cards / built-in chipsets don't have the current (or was it voltage?) to drive the LCD-2f.

As for the bass, I'd agree that the older 2.2 has great bass but the HD700 is quite good for a dynamic headphone and to some of my friends it has more "apparent" bass but it depends on the song. FWIW I'd say even my Ypsilon R1 (like a GS1000e) has more "apparent" bass than my LCD-2f with some tracks so I don't agree with you that the LCD-2.2 would "slaughter" the HD700 in bass goodness, its more a preference in the type of bass that an individual likes IMO.

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #11,845 of 13,139
Can anyone shed some light on something, for me, please.. I just changed the headphone stand and bought a new, omega wood one. My question is: since the headphones are always stretched, while sitting on the stand, will the general clamp force be affected, over time? My only worry is that if it will lessen, the seal will be less tight and i believe i've read somewhere that planars need a proper seal to deliver optimal sound. Thanks!

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #11,846 of 13,139
Can anyone shed some light on something, for me, please.. I just changed the headphone stand and bought a new, omega wood one. My question is: since the headphones are always stretched, while sitting on the stand, will the general clamp force be affected, over time? My only worry is that if it will lessen, the seal will be less tight and i believe i've read somewhere that planars need a proper seal to deliver optimal sound. Thanks!
I have the same question......

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #11,847 of 13,139
1 question for audeze LCD2 owners.i am planning to buy this headphone and use it with the massdrop linear THX AAA AMP and either a topping or ifi dac.I will mainly use it for modern music with some old music here n there. With genres from hip-hop to rock,metal,edm. But my question is how do this sound with gaming . I just need to know if they have a big enough and accurate sound stage
I personally think the Omega stand, while very pretty, is poorly designed. Not only will it stretch (some) headphones, but it also puts pressure on the pads, which will shrink them over time. This is particularly true for headphones that rely on clamp and seal, like the LCDs, which also have very thick pads. Also headphones that have padding on the headband (and don't have a suspension strap), don't fare well with the Omega (like the Focals). So yeah, just my opinion, but I'd think twice before using an Omega stand for your LCD-2. Much better options from Woo and Rooms.

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #11,848 of 13,139
I personally think the Omega stand, while very pretty, is poorly designed. Not only will it stretch (some) headphones, but it also puts pressure on the pads, which will shrink them over time. This is particularly true for headphones that rely on clamp and seal, like the LCDs, which also have very thick pads. Also headphones that have padding on the headband (and don't have a suspension strap), don't fare well with the Omega (like the Focals). So yeah, just my opinion, but I'd think twice before using an Omega stand for your LCD-2. Much better options from Woo and Rooms.

Could you recommend me a good stand for the LCD-2s, please? So far, ignoring the omega design, the best i could find is the AQ Perch..

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #11,849 of 13,139
Could you recommend me a good stand for the LCD-2s, please? So far, ignoring the omega design, the best i could find is the AQ Perch..
I personally don't use a headphone stand myself (rubber gaming mouse pad works just fine when I set my headphones on the desk, otherwise they go in their box). But if I did, the Woo stand would be number one on my list (https://www.amazon.com/Woo-Audio-HP...544098509&sr=1-3&keywords=woo+headphone+stand), followed by the Rooms Audioline (https://www.thomann.de/gb/rooms_audio_line_typ_fs_m_headphone_stand.htm).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back