Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #11,881 of 13,139
Already have the Mojo and Vorzüge Pure II+, so looking for a more dedicated desktop amp.

Oh, well.. depending on your price range... I liked the Massdrop THX 789 AAA amp that I had a chance to audition recently. That's about $300 IIRC, and an excellent value. Looking for something more capable, for about $600, I would absolutely recommend the Audio-gd NFB-1amp, which handles planars marvelously.

You will definitely want to go solid state with planars, and they tend to respond well to more power on tap.

Jan 6, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #11,882 of 13,139
I have a Mojo. Do you feel the Canamp would not offer anything more over the Mono amp stage?

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Canamp so can't comment. I've been using my Mojo into a Schiit Asgard since putting it in my main HiFi. This wasn't intended as a quality upgrade but a safety thing. I switch from speakers to headphones quite regularly and if my phone's were plugged directly into the Mojo it would only be a matter of time before I left them plugged in at line out level risking damage.

I do quite like what the Asgard brings - just a little extra solidity - but it's really not necessary and I love the Mojo with or without it.

Jan 16, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #11,883 of 13,139
Just received a Schiit Magni 3, shipped from the U.S. in two days. Really enjoying it, with my LCD-2's as follows:

JRiver (FLAC/ALAC) > iFi iGalvanic3.0 > iFi IDAC2 > Magni > LCD-2''s (also connecting the Magni as a preamp to my Neumann KH120 speakers (powered monitors). Very nice!

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #11,885 of 13,139
Having owned my LCD-2 (2016 fazor) for over two years now, I decided to give them a bit of a "makeover" to start the new year by first adding a Lohb strap and then swapping the original leather pads for Dekoni elite hybrid pads. Brief impressions below:

Lohb strap: My LCD-2 came with the original leather headband (which isn't sold anymore), which I didn't find too uncomfortable to begin with but I do consider the Lohb strap an improvement. It does a pretty darn good job of distributing the weight of the headphone more evenly, preventing hotspots from wearing the headphones for a long time. The strap doesn't make the LCD-2 "disappear" off the head (its a weighty headphone for sure, not really a knock on the strap) but is more than worth it for the price IMO - really solid value.

Dekoni hybrid pads: I originally had the black leather pads on my LCD-2. Although the Audeze pads are nice and plush, mine unfortunately weren't the same thickness and one side compressed more than the other, so I did have a little channel imbalance. It wasn't a massive deal, so I held off on replacing them until I tried an LCD-4 with the Dekoni hybrids at a Head-Fi meet (I couldn't believe how comfortable that LCD-4 was, tbh), after which I jumped on the Massdrop discount for the same for my LCD-2s. I expected a comfort improvement, but I was pleasantly surprised to get some sonic improvement too! Just keep in mind the caveats for my comparison below - a) my Audeze pads are worn and b) Audeze may have changed the foam they used in their pads since 2016 (I don't have a new set of Audeze pads to compare to, unfortunately).

Both sets of pads use high quality material. The Dekoni pads are noticeably thicker than my worn Audeze ones and the Dekonis' memory foam is noticeably stiffer (in that it compresses less, not that its hard or uncomfortable) than the generic foam of the Audeze pads. I like the feel of the Audeze leather but the Dekoni are definitely more comfortable for me, especially when I'm wearing my glasses (which is almost all the time). The soft velour on the hybrid pad faces (where they make contact with my head) is pretty comfortable too.

The combination of the memory foam and pad thickness leads to two changes that affect the sonics of the LCD-2. The first is that the drivers are farther away from my ears, so there is some increase in the soundstage size. Though my Audeze pads have likely flattened over time, I still think this would be the case because of the Dekoni's memory foam. The second is that the pads seal better on my head, bumping up the low frequencies some. The latter makes a considerable difference for me, since I get more bass impact as well as more of the awesome LCD-2 low end extension!

Overall, I'm pretty happy with both the Lohb strap and the Dekoni pads - for me, they've rejuvenated an already great headphone that I've never had any real desire to move on from! Hope this helps anyone on the lookout for earpad replacements or comfort solutions!

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #11,886 of 13,139
Having owned my LCD-2 (2016 fazor) for over two years now, I decided to give them a bit of a "makeover" to start the new year by first adding a Lohb strap and then swapping the original leather pads for Dekoni elite hybrid pads. Brief impressions below:

Lohb strap: My LCD-2 came with the original leather headband (which isn't sold anymore), which I didn't find too uncomfortable to begin with but I do consider the Lohb strap an improvement. It does a pretty darn good job of distributing the weight of the headphone more evenly, preventing hotspots from wearing the headphones for a long time. The strap doesn't make the LCD-2 "disappear" off the head (its a weighty headphone for sure, not really a knock on the strap) but is more than worth it for the price IMO - really solid value.

Dekoni hybrid pads: I originally had the black leather pads on my LCD-2. Although the Audeze pads are nice and plush, mine unfortunately weren't the same thickness and one side compressed more than the other, so I did have a little channel imbalance. It wasn't a massive deal, so I held off on replacing them until I tried an LCD-4 with the Dekoni hybrids at a Head-Fi meet (I couldn't believe how comfortable that LCD-4 was, tbh), after which I jumped on the Massdrop discount for the same for my LCD-2s. I expected a comfort improvement, but I was pleasantly surprised to get some sonic improvement too! Just keep in mind the caveats for my comparison below - a) my Audeze pads are worn and b) Audeze may have changed the foam they used in their pads since 2016 (I don't have a new set of Audeze pads to compare to, unfortunately).

Both sets of pads use high quality material. The Dekoni pads are noticeably thicker than my worn Audeze ones and the Dekonis' memory foam is noticeably stiffer (in that it compresses less, not that its hard or uncomfortable) than the generic foam of the Audeze pads. I like the feel of the Audeze leather but the Dekoni are definitely more comfortable for me, especially when I'm wearing my glasses (which is almost all the time). The soft velour on the hybrid pad faces (where they make contact with my head) is pretty comfortable too.

The combination of the memory foam and pad thickness leads to two changes that affect the sonics of the LCD-2. The first is that the drivers are farther away from my ears, so there is some increase in the soundstage size. Though my Audeze pads have likely flattened over time, I still think this would be the case because of the Dekoni's memory foam. The second is that the pads seal better on my head, bumping up the low frequencies some. The latter makes a considerable difference for me, since I get more bass impact as well as more of the awesome LCD-2 low end extension!

Overall, I'm pretty happy with both the Lohb strap and the Dekoni pads - for me, they've rejuvenated an already great headphone that I've never had any real desire to move on from! Hope this helps anyone on the lookout for earpad replacements or comfort solutions!

How hard is the install on the replacement pads? I liked the Dekoni on my Mass Drop Fostex Purples. I'm tempted to go that route with my LCD-2's.

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #11,887 of 13,139
How hard is the install on the replacement pads? I liked the Dekoni on my Mass Drop Fostex Purples. I'm tempted to go that route with my LCD-2's.

Pretty easy (no more than a few minutes). Just have to take the drivers off the headband, gently remove the old pads and stick on the Dekoni ones (the adhesive ring is pre-attached to the Dekoni pads, so it's easier). Here's Audeze's video on how to do it:

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #11,888 of 13,139
Has anyone hooked their LCD-2's to a Little Dot tube amp?
The Little Dot MkIII is on Massdrop at the moment and I'm after an amp. (looking at the Burson Soloist and Heed Canamp also).
Cheers

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #11,889 of 13,139
Has anyone hooked their LCD-2's to a Little Dot tube amp?
The Little Dot MkIII is on Massdrop at the moment and I'm after an amp. (looking at the Burson Soloist and Heed Canamp also).
Cheers
Tried a friends LD 1+ (modded) and it was quite good to me. I'm not sure you would want the LD MKIII since its an OTL amp IIRC and its output impedance might be a bit on the high side for the LCD-2 but I've never tried the combo so hope some who has tried can chime in.

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #11,890 of 13,139
Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #11,891 of 13,139
asked on the 2C forum as well, but does anyone know if we can still get the vegan/microsuede pads from Audeze or are they only shipping out with headphones at the earpad selection stage..anyone bought a pair recently ?

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #11,892 of 13,139
Hello, a question to connoisseurs of LCD-2. I am new to this and I am thinking of buying one now. My question is whether the 2019 model changed its technical specifications in terms of the current needed to move them? it is like this or it is only indicated in another way in the official page .. since it also had aesthetic changes, it is not bamboo

I would greatly appreciate your help, since it makes me even more interesting if you need less power. I'm looking forward to having him and joining this great one!
Regards! :L3000:

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #11,893 of 13,139
Hello, a question to connoisseurs of LCD-2. I am new to this and I am thinking of buying one now. My question is whether the 2019 model changed its technical specifications in terms of the current needed to move them? it is like this or it is only indicated in another way in the official page .. since it also had aesthetic changes, it is not bamboo

I would greatly appreciate your help, since it makes me even more interesting if you need less power. I'm looking forward to having him and joining this great one!
Regards! :L3000:

There have been a number of revisions and tweaks to the LCD-2 line over the years. The present specifications of 101dB/mW and 70 Ohm impedance is quite different from my 2012 non-fazor model, which is 60 Ohms and 91dB/mW sensitivity. It’s the sensitivity that determines power required and the impedance that defines the ratio between Current:Voltage that will be used. Basically 101dB/mW is a lot more efficient than 91dB/mW. Also, the present listed power required on their website is now more in line with reality than in the past.

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #11,895 of 13,139
So are the newest LCD-2s better than the past ones? Sometimes changes aren't better.
Perhaps you should ask this question in the LCD2 thread.

Audeze quality control has definitely improved a lot in 2016/2017. It is not clear what you mean by 'better'.
Regarding the sound it comes down to personal preference only. Old LCD2 vs. newer revisions, fazor/not fazor, LCD2 vs LCD2C is all personal preference. There is no clear winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back