Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #8,821 of 13,140
I am buying the LCD-2's when i have enough money saved up.
First time i heard about Audeze and the lcd-2 was a few years ago.
And i have been thinking about saving up and buying a pair since then.
They will most likely be my endgame headphones for years to come.
Or until i can afford something better.. :p

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #8,822 of 13,140
Any one else find their 2016 drivers a little grainy? Ive got the chance to trade for a 2.1 and im not 100% sure.

I had the 2.1 then after a driver failure, Audeze change them with the 2.2 driver. I would say 2.2 is the perfect LCD2 for me. Deep bass and natural. A tad clearer than the 2.1.
A tried several fazer versions but it was a step back for me. I didn't try the last revision tho.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #8,823 of 13,140
I miss the pre fazor sound. I dont know what Audeze did but all fazor models have a poor transient response and a plastic timbre. The worrying thing about the 2.1 is the drivers failing.

Can you provide a specific example of this poor transient response? For instance in song x at 2:34 the snare hit is soft .... I would also be interested to know what you mean by transient response. I have been reading lately on transient response and literally just now finished reading (reading, but not understanding all of it) a paper from a team trying to create a new transient detection algorithm that can be used for transient modification within professional audio production. It seems to be an incredibly complex subject and I wonder with the way people throw transient response into their evaluations how many people actually really know what this means.

I am not saying that you don't know. For all I know you are a gifted musician or recording engineer who deals with transient response and intimately knows the nuances and complexities of the subject. I think given the absolute speed at which complex passages of music unfold I suggest that transients are not necessarily that easy to isolate and focus on despite their cumulative importance on how we perceive the sound. I know we can and do have some command over detecting transients, but I can't help but think that we often over-estimate our abilities in this area. Anyway, I would be very interested in knowing some specific examples that lead you to suggest the transient response is poor with the LCD 2F.

Jul 25, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #8,824 of 13,140
I miss the pre fazor sound. I dont know what Audeze did but all fazor models have a poor transient response and a plastic timbre. The worrying thing about the 2.1 is the drivers failing.

Objectively, the Fazor models measure better: faster transient response, more neutral frequency response, equal or lower distortion. And they're more efficient and easier for an amp to drive.
Subjectively, opinions are mixed. Some people (like myself) prefer the Fazor, others prefer the pre-Fazor sound.

Jul 25, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #8,825 of 13,140
I should add something about how small the differences between these curves really are - to put them in perspective:

If you simply remove the headphones from the dummy head mic, then put it (the same headphones) back on, you'll get slightly different measurements. Measurements are sensitive to and depend on the seal around the ear, the angle & position of the headphone on the head which you can never get exactly the same twice. The same headphone measured multiple times can give differences greater than what we see in these 2 curves. That's why Tyll at InnerFidelity measures it several times and averages it. That's why you see several grey curves in his plots. I believe he applies the HRTF correction to the average of the grey curves.

The bottom line: the LCD-2F is more consistent from model to model than the small differences in these graphs would suggest.

Jul 25, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #8,826 of 13,140
My 1994 release of Sticky Fingers just came in the mail from a good fellow on eBay, and the glorious LCD-2.2f are bringing it to life for me.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #8,827 of 13,140
My 1994 release of Sticky Fingers just came in the mail from a good fellow on eBay, and the glorious LCD-2.2f are bringing it to life for me.

Mick ! Is that you ?!

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #8,828 of 13,140
And today my 1986 CD release of Let it Bleed came in! So.... more LCD-2 time. :D

Jul 29, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #8,829 of 13,140
Man alive... i got my new vegan pads on today.. wow.  The comfort change is amazing (and to be frank, feels more "premium" than the leather ever did), it looks nicer, and the weight even feels better.  I still have to give more dedicated listening time, but to be frank, this is what should should have shipped originally.

So now, i have upgraded the headband and ear pads, and have a new cable arriving on monday. Its like practically new headphones at this point.. i am loving it!

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #8,830 of 13,140
Hi folks. New member here. I currently have some Audeze EL-8 open headphones on loan that I am listening to through an Oppo HA-1 amp. I am more-or-less sure about buying LCD-2s but I won't get a chance to listen to them first, so I was wondering if any of you could say what the LCD-2s tend to be like in comparison to the EL-8s in terms of their sound, imaging etc? LCD-2s should be perfect for me but I am a bit concerned they might be a little dark, not having heard them. Cheers...

Jul 30, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #8,831 of 13,140
Hi folks. New member here. I currently have some Audeze EL-8 open headphones on loan that I am listening to through an Oppo HA-1 amp. I am more-or-less sure about buying LCD-2s but I won't get a chance to listen to them first, so I was wondering if any of you could say what the LCD-2s tend to be like in comparison to the EL-8s in terms of their sound, imaging etc? LCD-2s should be perfect for me but I am a bit concerned they might be a little dark, not having heard them. Cheers...

The LCD-2 will be just a touch better in sound stage and imaging but it will also like a better setup to drive them properly where the EL8 is quite a bit easier to drive.  From my limited gear the EL8 sounds best on my UD-301 DAC's headphone output while the LCD-2 sounds best with either Project Ember or Lyr2.  The other issue is weight, the EL8 while heavy is still lighter than the LCD-2 so comfort can be an issue for some like my GF who can only use the LCD-2 for a few minutes at most.

Jul 31, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #8,832 of 13,140
The LCD2 with fazor is not dark at all to my ears. I was actually hoping for a dark sound and surprised when I listened to them for the first time. I have no experience with the sine so I can't compare. That said the LCD2 is the best sounding headphones I have heard. It is the first set of headphones in years that were a significant improvement over other sets I have owned. The sound is something that took a bit of time for me to fully appreciate. Right away the soundstage and separation jump out, but there are many more subtle areas that begin to come to light with more head time. One area I notice the LCD2 really shine in is how natural they sound, this is extremely apparent when doing side by side testing. I really like the he500 sound sig but compared to the lcd it sounds artificial(for lack of a better word) 

As mentioned the LCD2 is a very heavy set of cans. This is the only set of cans that I have ever had to cause neck pain lol. That was only the first day though and it was a 3hr initial listen sesh. After the first listen the only issue I have had with the wight is very slight discomfort from the headband after hrs of wear.

Jul 31, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #8,833 of 13,140
I am a big guy so I am not too concerned about weight, although clamping force might be a concern since I also have a big head :)

I am loving the loaner EL-8s but they are a bit plasticky for a set I will only use in the house. If I could change anything sonically with the EL-8s it would be a tinge less fizz in the upper mids and a bit more clarity and separation in the bass - although I only notice those things very slightly in rhythmically complicated passages. Any imaging improvements would be a bonus.

Tbh, I am probably as sold as I can be on the LCD-2s as I can be without hearing them.

Jul 31, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #8,834 of 13,140
the headband can be bent to increase/reduce clamp, but you may need the extended yokes. I would say I have about average size head and I use them with only one click left in the headband adjustment. Audeze sells em for 30 if you do need more room. The only thing I would warn you about is the bass may not be exactly as you expect at first listen(depending on expectation). I thought it would have more bass than it does. It is no slouch in the low end but it is quality first, quantity second. The only issue I still have with the LCD2f is the ultralow subass does not have the presence of my he500.

Jul 31, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #8,835 of 13,140
Thanks for the advice about the yokes - I'll chuck them in when I buy the headphones. Regarding the bass, I guess it depends what we mean by more. I am not a fan of loud, muddy bass so what I was trying to say was more to do with how I might 'perfect' the EL-8s having listened to them for a couple of days. If the LCD-2s have the same kind of bass extension as the EL-8s I will be happy. If they provide a bit more clarity then I will be delighted. The only way I would be disappointed is if the LCD-2s further emphasised the bass to the detriment of other areas, but from everything I have read I don't expect that to be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back