Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #8,851 of 13,132
I find the LCD-2.2f to be utterly clear of grain. In fact, it made my HD600 sound grainy in comparison, which I would not have thought possible before. Audeze delivers a wonderful, clean sound.

This. I have the 2016 version and I don't hear a hint of grain. I find the lcd2 less creamy than the lcdxc, but I think that is good. The lc2 is really a very natural, and well balanced headphone. My favourite use for them right now is movies, just so life-like.

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #8,852 of 13,132
I'm.thinking about purchasing the lcd x due to having *heard * around here that it has amazing mid range, (forward) and clarity and resolution which is what I'm after, I can't afford a new lcd x but a used one will do in time. Is the lcd 2 different significantly compared to. Lcd x in the clarity/resolution/forward midrange?

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #8,853 of 13,132
May just be the extreme Canadian climate (although the same could be said for many places in world), this winter with the cold dry weather the crack on my Rosewoods opened up and now with the hot temperatures and high humidity both my pads just peel off, (the crack has closed though
rolleyes.gif
).
The double sided adhesive has gotten very gooey and is still very sticky but in the wrong sort of way, sort of like wet glue, as long as I keep the phones on my head I'm ok...
frown.gif

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #8,854 of 13,132
Don't know, I personally find LCD-X sound more like LCD-2 r2.2 than LCD-3. The left driver of my LCD-X die a few months ago, and I find myself wanting to use my LCD-2 than my 3 as a temporary replacement. As for the poster who is worried about the LCD-2 sounding grainy, I don't find such problem at all myself, but in comparasion, MrSpeakers Ether has a similar sound signature as my LCD-2 but with a slightly cleaner and more detailed sound and wider soundstage, could be a nice option to LCD-2.

I believe he was referring to the mass of the driver diaphragm, being more comparable to the LCD-3 lotus rather than the LCD-2

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #8,855 of 13,132
This. I have the 2016 version and I don't hear a hint of grain. I find the lcd2 less creamy than the lcdxc, but I think that is good. The lc2 is really a very natural, and well balanced headphone. My favourite use for them right now is movies, just so life-like.

Yeah exactly, Some folks just want a darker/ more forgiving sound...which is creating the misconception that the lcd-2 is grainy. It is just a lot more revealing now which can be mistaken for a grainier sound, but there is still that planar smoothness regardless.

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #8,856 of 13,132
  Yeah exactly, Some folks just want a darker/ more forgiving sound...which is creating the misconception that the lcd-2 is grainy. It is just a lot more revealing now which can be mistaken for a grainier sound, but there is still that planar smoothness regardless.

Absolutely, I have the LCD2F, 2016 manufacture date, and there is no way it could be characterized as remotely grainy.

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #8,858 of 13,132
I also would not characterize it as smooth. Somewhere between smooth and grainy is a nice place the new lcdx hangs....

Yes, that is fair, I agree that when you start getting more detail you are inevitably moving closer to where grain is perceptible, certainly when compared against a smooth signature.

Aug 2, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #8,860 of 13,132
  May just be the extreme Canadian climate (although the same could be said for many places in world), this winter with the cold dry weather the crack on my Rosewoods opened up and now with the hot temperatures and high humidity both my pads just peel off, (the crack has closed though
rolleyes.gif
).
The double sided adhesive has gotten very gooey and is still very sticky but in the wrong sort of way, sort of like wet glue, as long as I keep the phones on my head I'm ok...
frown.gif

Contacted Audeze and they are sending me some PSA rings, considering we are currently in the lazy days of summer kudos to Audeze for a quick solution.
smile.gif

Aug 2, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #8,861 of 13,132

Contacted Audeze and they are sending me some PSA rings, considering we are currently in the lazy days of summer kudos to Audeze for a quick solution.
smile.gif

Awesome, I must admit I do worry about wood as a cup material for this very reason. Did the crack seem to effect the sound at all? I know that the cup isn't really used as much of an acoustic chamber in this type of design, but I assume a bad crack might vibrate or buzz? Not really sure as I have never had a wooden headphone cup crack.

Aug 2, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #8,862 of 13,132
  Awesome, I must admit I do worry about wood as a cup material for this very reason. Did the crack seem to effect the sound at all? I know that the cup isn't really used as much of an acoustic chamber in this type of design, but I assume a bad crack might vibrate or buzz? Not really sure as I have never had a wooden headphone cup crack.

You may have misunderstood, I'm just getting new adhesive rings (aka double sided tape).

And no the crack does not appear to affect the sound.

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #8,863 of 13,132
Dear fellow Head-Fi`ers,

I wonder, how is your reliability experience with LCD-2?

I've reached the end of the road in my head-fi search.  I am keeping 4 phones: dt770pro for abuse/kids/gaming, D7000 for privacy, LCD-2 for middle ground between open and closed cans, and HD800S for best thing I've heard, still in reasonable price range.  As you see,  LCD-2 is one of them.  I love its “fat” signature.  The only concern I have is that I had driver failure.  Audeze took care of it, but I am left with bad aftertaste, like with sub $100 (which for someone from communist occupied area was high friggin end) Panasonic phones from my teenage years.   Am I being very unlucky, or the boutique company is selling undertested  technology?  Has anyone had LCD-2 for 3 years, with hard/loud use, with no failures?  One thing I've learned in my journey, is not to trust small companies.  But I love LCD-2 signature, and I want to know how reliability is for you.

Cheers!

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #8,864 of 13,132
  Dear fellow Head-Fi`ers,

I wonder, how is your reliability experience with LCD-2?

I've reached the end of the road in my head-fi search.  I am keeping 4 phones: dt770pro for abuse/kids/gaming, D7000 for privacy, LCD-2 for middle ground between open and closed cans, and HD800S for best thing I've heard, still in reasonable price range.  As you see,  LCD-2 is one of them.  I love its “fat” signature.  The only concern I have is that I had driver failure.  Audeze took care of it, but I am left with bad aftertaste, like with sub $100 (which for someone from communist occupied area was high friggin end) Panasonic phones from my teenage years.   Am I being very unlucky, or the boutique company is selling undertested  technology?  Has anyone had LCD-2 for 3 years, with hard/loud use, with no failures?  One thing I've learned in my journey, is not to trust small companies.  But I love LCD-2 signature, and I want to know how reliability is for you.

Cheers!

2 years going and my LCD-2f still sound superb. Had a Hifiman driver go bad on me but none YET with Audeze.

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #8,865 of 13,132
  2 years going and my LCD-2f still sound superb. Had a Hifiman driver go bad on me but none YET with Audeze.

Thanks cjc - Audeze was awesome in granting warranty.  They also said that replaced driver gets full 3 years of warranty.  It is just I am deciding whether to sell ticking bomb or I was just very unlucky.  I love LCD-2F sound :)

BTW - is there any indication that Audeze drivers fail due to loudness of use?  As a hearing impaired person, I listen to my set of phones loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back