Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #8,881 of 13,139
Granted I have an upgraded cable, but theyre nowhere near as "dark" as expected.

In fact they sound only very slightly less bright as my HE-500s,but they def have more bass extension

I have a silk q cable on mine (they are high quality copper) Treble is present and extended on my lcdx2 as any other balanced headphone I have heard. No peaks, or grain. I think the old dark sounding lcd2 is no more.

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #8,882 of 13,139

Granted I have an upgraded cable, but theyre nowhere near as "dark" as expected.
In fact they sound only very slightly less bright as my HE-500s,but they def have more bass extension

Yes they are no longer warm, but surprisingly after listening to them when I put on my A800 for instance which is not treble shy you really can tell that the LCD2F is still worlds away from bright. I haven't actually spent much time with them as I had to prioritize other headphones I was reviewing, but while the treble sounded solid on the Audeze, I'm wondering if it is more lower treble that is most present? I'll have to look at what measurements say. I need to get some quality time with the LCD2 under my belt, tonight I'll make a point of using it most.

Aug 5, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #8,883 of 13,139
  Yes they are no longer warm, but surprisingly after listening to them when I put on my A800 for instance which is not treble shy you really can tell that the LCD2F is still worlds away from bright. I haven't actually spent much time with them as I had to prioritize other headphones I was reviewing, but while the treble sounded solid on the Audeze, I'm wondering if it is more lower treble that is most present? I'll have to look at what measurements say. I need to get some quality time with the LCD2 under my belt, tonight I'll make a point of using it most.

I actually called Audeze before I pulled the trigger on em.According to them,based on the serial # I was told they were the "warmest drivers we ever made".Pre Fazor,right before Fazor was introduced.

Im not complaining,they sound nice,just not much different from my HE-500s.....I guess what Im wondering is what,if any changes will be heard after 100 hours or so?

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #8,884 of 13,139

I actually called Audeze before I pulled the trigger on em.According to them,based on the serial # I was told they were the "warmest drivers we ever made".Pre Fazor,right before Fazor was introduced.

Im not complaining,they sound nice,just not much different from my HE-500s.....I guess what Im wondering is what,if any changes will be heard after 100 hours or so?

I don' think the sound will change much from what it is now, since those were the warmest drivers used in the LCD-2.  A fazor version will sound quite bright compared to it but even a fazor version is still not as bright as a HE-560/400i from what I've experienced so far.

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #8,885 of 13,139
  I don' think the sound will change much from what it is now, since those were the warmest drivers used in the LCD-2.  A fazor version will sound quite bright compared to it but even a fazor version is still not as bright as a HE-560/400i from what I've experienced so far.

Okay fair enough. Having never heard LCDs before and only reading about them here for years I was expecting a HD600 vs. Beyer DT990 sound difference.

Aug 6, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #8,886 of 13,139
Do a Google search of LCD-2 vs HD800 to this forum and although half the members that posted on that thread got banned it seemed like 80 percent liked the LCD2 better without all the measurements in just free listening sessios. Even with measurement's it surpassed HD800. Can't wait to hear mine next week.

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #8,887 of 13,139
Do a Google search of LCD-2 vs HD800 to this forum and although half the members that posted on that thread got banned it seemed like 80 percent liked the LCD2 better without all the measurements in just free listening sessios. Even with measurement's it surpassed HD800. Can't wait to hear mine next week.

I'm certain you will enjoy them...even with the latest iterations that have 'more pronounced' treble. I would say the treble is much better extended now without any unruly spikes. Still very smooth with gobs of detail. As long as you are not looking for the uber smooth lcd-2 from times gone by, you should be pleased.

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #8,889 of 13,139
  Yeah I'd take an LCD2 over a stock HD800 any day of the week

I suspect I would as well. Really strong clarity is meaningless to me as so little music I encounter really should have that much clarity as I find recording quality just doesn't stand up to the scrutiny far more often than I would like. As well, in recent years I will sacrifice some bass accuracy for a little more amplitude and impact. I'm not saying I will suffer bloated or one-note bass, but I have no use for really neutral bass either. Give me a little bit of controlled bass emphasis and I'm happy. I quickly tired of the linear and lean bass, just uninvolving for my current tastes.

Aug 10, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #8,890 of 13,139
The left side of my LCD-2.2F just died on me. Luckily, they are still under warranty but it will take a long time to replace the driver since I'm in Asia.
Can anyone let me know how durable the new driver (2016 version) is? Even though they sound great, durability is a concern.
thanks,
LT

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #8,891 of 13,139
The left side of my LCD-2.2F just died on me. Luckily, they are still under warranty but it will take a long time to replace the driver since I'm in Asia.
Can anyone let me know how durable the new driver (2016 version) is? Even though they sound great, durability is a concern.
thanks,
LT

After the last couple of revisions, most notably after November 2015, driver failures have been very rare. It used to be normal to see driver failures pop up in this thread, a couple a month, but I haven't seen anyone with a 2016 driver have any problems, so I think they have found and corrected their problems.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #8,892 of 13,139
@sludgeogre
Thank you. I wish I don't have to replace the driver again.
LT

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #8,893 of 13,139
sweeeeeeet!!!!!!!

I was all set on getting an LCD-3F or LCD-X.  But, having several hundred in my pocket and an LCD-2F Aluminum on the way from a fellow forum member feels great!!

I plan to use it along side my HiFiMan HE-560.  I really love the HE-560, other than the occasional rattle, and on some recordings being a tick bright.  No desire to replace this headphone, just want something different, when I feel like adding a touch of richness, or have recordings that may be just a bit too hot for me to enjoy on the HE560. 

Again, I was really set on a LCD-3, but was really, really stretching my wallet to get a set.  Hopefully the LCD-2F will be just what the doctor ordered!!

I also entertained for a bit the Sennheiser HD800, because it would offer the other thing I was after that I don't really get out of the HE-560, and that is soundstage.  I use a tube amp, and have several hundred NOS 12AX7 and 12AU7, and have discovered that I can with certain combos get a good enough soundstage that I am satisfed.  That, and I am SOLD on PLANAR technology, so I didn't want to go back to dynamic tech, and definitely was concerned about the brightness!!

Again, seems like the LCD series is what answers the bell for me as a complementary headphone.  ( May end up being the ONLY headphone... we will see!!!)

Aug 10, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #8,894 of 13,139

I plan to use it along side my HiFiMan HE-560.  I really love the HE-560, other than the occasional rattle, and on some recordings being a tick bright.  No desire to replace this headphone, just want something different, when I feel like adding a touch of richness, or have recordings that may be just a bit too hot for me to enjoy on the HE560. 

I owned an extremely well driven HE 560 for a year and I can assure you the LCD2F is a nice compliment. Perhaps not as lush as I may have been half hoping/expecting, but certainly very nice and different enough from the 560 to be a great addition. You should enjoy it and like the HE 560 compared with the HE 1000, the LCD2F compared with the LCD3 by all accounts gets you most of the way there for a lot less. EQ can also help you dial in the signature so don't be afraid to try, the LCD2F seems to respond nicely to modest boosts or cuts. I like to gently boost the low bass response, up about 4dbs total over three adjustment points 100Hz, 80Hz and 60Hz. The biggest boost I have is +1.5db at 100Hz with a modest Q value (I use EasyQ a free parametric EQ plugin in JRiver). The other two frequencies are boosted less and equally modest Q values so I have a gentle and diffused approach to the low bass boost and it really helps, but in such a way as to not obscure any detail.

I find the trick is to go very modest and only boost to the lowest possible point you find gets you the response you are listening for. I also lower the overall gain to compensate for the boost so if I boost frequencies for a total of 5db, I cut the overall gain by that much to avoid clipping. Seems to help. Anyway, enjoy the LCD2 mate.

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #8,895 of 13,139

Yeah I'd take an LCD2 over a stock HD800 any day of the week

I suspect I would as well. Really strong clarity is meaningless to me as so little music I encounter really should have that much clarity as I find recording quality just doesn't stand up to the scrutiny far more often than I would like. As well, in recent years I will sacrifice some bass accuracy for a little more amplitude and impact. I'm not saying I will suffer bloated or one-note bass, but I have no use for really neutral bass either. Give me a little bit of controlled bass emphasis and I'm happy. I quickly tired of the linear and lean bass, just uninvolving for my current tastes.

I've had my 2011 LCD-2s for I guess half a year now. I like the bass very much for the presence and sense of scale it gives. I do continually find myself wishing if only I could only it up a bit, have some more airiness...to which end I upgraded the cables to Forza Claire hybrid copper and silver and got a far better dac to amp interconnect. Those have both worked in that regard up to a point. To go a further price point and go up to an LCD-3 might 'work' but then I think I lose sight of the 'horses for courses' rule of thumb ie what do I  listen to, what is the experience with a big amp and speakers i want to have a sense of, what if it goes pear-shaped and i find it bright and unlistenable? ( I sure as shoot am not not going back to vinyl, too expensive, too hard to find suff)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back