Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Aug 18, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #8,911 of 13,139
  So, more on the recent driver replacement I had two weeks ago. With more listening, and Burn in, I have reached the following conclusions about the revised drivers. YMMV:

1. The sound is no less smooth, but just a lot more detailed. I hear no grain in the sound, especially in the treble department.
  2. These drivers are definitely faster than my previous pair. I thought the more detailed sound was due to a slightly elevated treble, but the treble itself is not only a bit more prominent, but much smoother and more detailed (extended?)
  3. The bass is very very tight, and goes all the way down, no joke. It is never bloated, and neither lacking in any track I play...Reference is what I like to call it.
  4. All in all the pair I have is a very welcome improvement in ALL departments. Same nicely grounded Audeze sound but just lifted in every aspect, be it soundstage, air, imaging, detail, what have you.

beerchug.gif

The only issue I can forsee is if you are very very sensitive to treble, but mind you it is still really good here and never sibilant.

That is my assessment of the fazor version also!  My fazors are a 11-24-15 model.  Has there been yet another driver update since that version?

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #8,912 of 13,139

The only issue I can forsee is if you are very very sensitive to treble, but mind you it is still really good here and never sibilant.

I'm extremely sensitive to treble and have Tinnitus and I find the LCD-2 to be the best headphone in the world for me. The treble is there, very accurate and detailed like you mentioned, but it feels just slightly shelved, enough that really bright and irritating cymbals that I used to have to turn down aren't bothersome at all. I think the treble sounds a little more elevated compared to old versions of the LCD-2, but it's certainly not above the midrange, which is really important for me since I listen to metal.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #8,914 of 13,139
Hello,

Can anyone comment on stereo image comparison with fazor and non-fazor version.

What type of improvements should I be looking if I'm going from lcd2 rev1 to the latest fazor versions.

Thank you.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #8,915 of 13,139
What type of improvements should I be looking if I'm going from lcd2 rev1 to the latest fazor versions.

Thank you.

I own the non-Fazored 2.1s too and have tried the recent Fazors at some length a few moths ago. I would not change mine to the new ones, no way. You would get more highs, but not necessarily better. The bass didn't seem to as deep as the old ones.

But, I wasn't using my own gear otherwise, so take this with a pinch of salt. Anyhow, I'm not interested in the Fazors at all. I've found my drug 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #8,916 of 13,139

I own the non-Fazored 2.1s too and have tried the recent Fazors at some length a few moths ago. I would not change mine to the new ones, no way. You would get more highs, but not necessarily better. The bass didn't seem to as deep as the old ones.

But, I wasn't using my own gear otherwise, so take this with a pinch of salt. Anyhow, I'm not interested in the Fazors at all. I've found my drug 
smily_headphones1.gif

I have no option on the change. One of my drivers failed and I have to send the headphones for repair.

On the other hand I use my headphones for music production. So I'm looking for transparent and neutral cans.

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #8,918 of 13,139
To my ears, the fazored ones also sounded very messed up in the treble despite what people had been saying about the improvements in that region. To me, its a downgrade, pre-fazored sounded more coherent in that region and as a whole.

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #8,919 of 13,139
Hi guys, is there a way to confirm if a LCD2F Aluminum bought in Jan a 2016 revision ver? or maybe all the Aluminum ver already are. Thanks

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #8,920 of 13,139
  Hi guys, is there a way to confirm if a LCD2F Aluminum bought in Jan a 2016 revision ver? or maybe all the Aluminum ver already are. Thanks

I think aluminum versions came out after latest driver.  You could request a sine graph for it from Audeze, and although I think they use the same graph for multiple headphones, your serial number appears on the top with the date it was tested.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #8,921 of 13,139
  I think aluminum versions came out after latest driver.  You could request a sine graph for it from Audeze, and although I think they use the same graph for multiple headphones, your serial number appears on the top with the date it was tested.

Thanks

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #8,922 of 13,139
It happened to me for a long time used to listen with a certain type of headset to switch to another also the ear has to get used a bit early for me so ... it takes me a while to get used even certain days it seems to work better and some not! mood mysteries
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #8,923 of 13,139
  May just be the extreme Canadian climate (although the same could be said for many places in world), this winter with the cold dry weather the crack on my Rosewoods opened up and now with the hot temperatures and high humidity both my pads just peel off, (the crack has closed though
rolleyes.gif
).
The double sided adhesive has gotten very gooey and is still very sticky but in the wrong sort of way, sort of like wet glue, as long as I keep the phones on my head I'm ok...
frown.gif

Thought I'd post this vid in case anyone else has experienced this,.
http://vid117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/rob80b/IMG_0209_zpstzv5bedq.mp4

Audeze promptly sent me a pair of  PSA rings and the pads are once again firmly in place, should mention I completely removed the previous tape which was very gummy and then cleaned the surfaces with alcohol.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #8,924 of 13,139
Hi everyone, after ditching almost all of my headphone gear to buy myself a nice 2.1 stereo system I felt quite lost without my old LCD-2s (2.1 Pre-Fazor.) But nonetheless I told myself I wouldn't get back into the headphone side of the audio world until I found a smoking hot deal on a pair of cans.

Well after 5 months of scrolling through websites looking for a good deals on LCD-2s I just picked up a pair of LCD-2s (2.2 Pre-Fazor) for $550 
cool.gif
 I cannot wait to receive them from Santa (UPS delivery guy.) I really wanted to try to get a fazored model but $550 was too good to pass up for 2.2s. From what I've read it does seem like pre-f 2.2s are still extremely impressive, so I think I will be pleased no matter what coming from LCD-2 2.1s. 

I do have one question though, do you guys think the Schiit Magni 2 will power the LCD-2s well? I used to have a Schiit Mjolnir 2 which was stellar with my 2.1s.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #8,925 of 13,139
All I can say is that 2.1 system better have been worth it! :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back